ozi explorer issues with dash mounted pnd using CE version

Submitted: Saturday, Jul 07, 2012 at 00:22
ThreadID: 96716 Views:1740 Replies:1 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hi there
Having some issues with getting maps to load on my in Hilux dash gps
Have tried all the suggested fixes on the explorer website but still cant seem to get the image path correct.
I can seethe .map files but not the image path.
Just wondering if there is anyone in melb who knows a lot more than me about these thins before it does my head in
Thanks don
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: WBS - Saturday, Jul 07, 2012 at 09:32

Saturday, Jul 07, 2012 at 09:32
Don,
I'll try to help. I don't know what brand of in dash GPS you are using but once you are in OziExplorer things should be the same. I am also unsure of how much understanding you have of the how maps are stored in Oziexplorer. I assume you understand that each map must haves two files, a .map file and a map image file.

At the bottom of your screen when you opened OziExplorewr, there should be at least 3 buttons (for want of a better word) File, View, Map. if you push "File" you get into a menu with the following headings

Open Map File
Open Recent Maps
Load Settings Files
....... and so on down until the Configuration option.
Select the Configuration option. You then have a menu with

General Setting
Map & Data Files
Map Image Files
NMEA (GPS)
...etc

Look at the Map and Data Files option and note down what the directory path is. On my GPS it is "\Storagecard\OziExplorer\Maps" (which means it is on my SD card).

Look at the location of your Map Image Files (next selection down) That is where the image files should be located.

In that option the path for the location of your image files should be listed. If they are not, then push the button to the right of the window (the one with the three dots in it) and try to find where your map image files are stored.

In my case I always keep my .map files and my image files (.png or .ecw or Tiff etc) in the same directory. So for me the path is "\Storagecard\OziExplorer\Maps". If you have that set up in your configuration file then you should be able to load you maps.

Give it a try
WBS

AnswerID: 490302

Follow Up By: WBS - Saturday, Jul 07, 2012 at 09:36

Saturday, Jul 07, 2012 at 09:36
I hate the fact that I can't edit out typos after I've posted so I apologise for any miss-spelt typing.
WBS
FollowupID: 765562

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Saturday, Jul 07, 2012 at 09:46

Saturday, Jul 07, 2012 at 09:46
Hi

Yeah - just place the image and the map files in the same folder. (use the folder you are curently using for the *.map files as they seems to be "recognised")

Doesnt actually matter (except maybe for map indexing) what folder you set in the configuration anyway...you should be able to use File ->Open Map File and open any image (assuming image is in the same folder as *.map). Does this work?

Cheer
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 765564

Follow Up By: Don 64 - Saturday, Jul 07, 2012 at 11:23

Saturday, Jul 07, 2012 at 11:23
Hi all
Thanks for the info but i still have the same issues
When i go to open map file only the .maps are displayed
When i click to open it starts to open a blank screen then returns to the world map.
I have indexed them which takes around 5 minutes to load.
Its possible there is something wrong with the maps themselves
although the .maps have a file size around 400kb and the image aroond 4kb
I have just loaded the latest version 2.35b CE and still have same issues
Map and image are in the one folder named maps on a storage card.
I will try and find some new maps to load in the meantime

Thanks again

Don
FollowupID: 765577

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Saturday, Jul 07, 2012 at 11:32

Saturday, Jul 07, 2012 at 11:32
"the .maps have a file size around 400kb and the image aroond 4kb"

I assume this is a typo - image 4kb!! More likely 4 mb.

Also keep in mind some units dont like some formats e.g. ECW files will not work on some units. Are your image files in Ozfx3 or Ozfx2 format?

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 765578

Follow Up By: Don 64 - Saturday, Jul 07, 2012 at 11:52

Saturday, Jul 07, 2012 at 11:52
Hi Greg

The maps are in ozfm3 but i just checked the image file size again and all the images are 4kb not mb
This is the most likely problem if they should be 4mb they have certainly not copied from the DVD correctly
I will try again later i am over it for the moment,to nice a day to sit inside

Thanks again

Don
FollowupID: 765579

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Saturday, Jul 07, 2012 at 12:03

Saturday, Jul 07, 2012 at 12:03
Hi
Image files could be almost any size but 4kb is almost nothing ...are you sure its not the *.map files that are 4kb - that s what all mine are. Image size varies but typically 1,000 kb at least. Small one maybe 500kb.

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 765580

Follow Up By: Don 64 - Saturday, Jul 07, 2012 at 12:35

Saturday, Jul 07, 2012 at 12:35
Hi

Yes my mistake the .map files are all 4kb and the image files vary from 100kb to 1400kb with the average probably 350kb.
Still appears to be issues with the image size all very low.
What digital maps with detailed tracks do you reccomend for 4wd with ozi
Eg .Geoscince,hema or standard topographic maps in the scale of 1-250,000

Thanks again

Don
FollowupID: 765584

Sponsored Links