Oztent RV5 with a double bunk?

Submitted: Saturday, Jul 07, 2012 at 07:41
ThreadID: 96718 Views:6442 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,
I've just got my Oztent RV5 which I've put up in the backyard.

The kids are keen on a double bunk stretcher (oztrail or outdoor connection, et al).

I've tried measuring out the dimensions of the double bunk inside the RV5 and it looks like it might fit but be a bit a tight with the top bunk possibly pushing out the back window.

Now I have the Fly to go with the RV5 so that might not be a problem.

What I'm after is some comments from anyone else who has tried put a double bunk stretcher into their Oztent. (before I fork out some $$ and just give it a crack that is) :-)

So if anyone has some experience please share?

Thanks,
Gav

BTW stacking my patent claim here and now on a kids size double bunk that fits comfortably in an Ontent RV5! :)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Members Pa & Ma. - Saturday, Jul 07, 2012 at 16:57

Saturday, Jul 07, 2012 at 16:57
Hi Gavinadams,
I've never tried this but I've found that stretchers are very cold even with a good sleeping bag & an underlay.
How old & what sex are the kids ? A ground sheet,& an inside ground sheet under a good air bed & layers of clothes is how we go. With 2 Doonas & a sleeping bag for cold desert nights.
There're people who'll disagree of course.
Five people in a tent together will be fairly warm but leave your top vents open.
We have the 2nd size up original OzTent. if you have a tight squeeze you may put too much stress on the Front zippers.
Take care, safe travels Ma.
AnswerID: 490333

Follow Up By: gavinadams - Saturday, Jul 07, 2012 at 18:04

Saturday, Jul 07, 2012 at 18:04
Thanks Ma
2 x boys 7 & 5 years old.
(So 4 of us all up)

We have a bunch or air matresses.
I bought the mesh ground sheet with the tent.

I do have some foam mat things with that teeth edge that connect together and was thinking of putting that under the air matresses.

Once the boys get bigger I'll take a look at the 'tag along' option.

Cheers,
Gav
FollowupID: 765617

Reply By: Ben C3 - Saturday, Jul 07, 2012 at 17:51

Saturday, Jul 07, 2012 at 17:51
We have just spent 2 wek in an RV5 with 2 king size bunks and a set of double bunks for the kids a little tight but fitted in the primus double bunks fit in but push the back window only a little 100mm if that but works really well but putting the bunks ogether every night a different story they are painful
AnswerID: 490334

Follow Up By: gavinadams - Saturday, Jul 07, 2012 at 18:06

Saturday, Jul 07, 2012 at 18:06
Thanks Ben.

Thats about what I thought would happen.

I had heard similar concerns about the number of pieces for the double bunks.

I found this product but havent been able to get my eyes on them to check them out in person.
http://www.outdoorconnection.com.au/bedding/stretchers/foldaway-double-bunk-bed.html

The outdoor connection double bunk claims on 10 pieces and much faster to put together.

Cheers
Gav
FollowupID: 765618

Follow Up By: Members Pa & Ma. - Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 15:12

Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 15:12
Yep,some of the bunks are very hard to get to go together as has just been said.
Bye again ,enjoy your trip.
Take care & safe travels.Ma.
FollowupID: 765729

Reply By: ExplorOz - Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 13:25

Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 13:25
No experience with the bunks but here's what we do with family of 4 Oztent RV5... Most times we put the kids in single swags inside the tent and we sleep outside under the awning in our double swag on a ground sheet. We use the extra space inside the tent to leave a walking channel and for bags/chairs etc to keep under cover. That's our typical "wet weather" quick overnight setup. We don't carry a trailer or any extras so with space a premium this is what we came to and works fine. Swags (in waterproof bags) and Oztent on roofrack.
Michelle
ExplorOz

Business Member
My Profile  My Blog

AnswerID: 490400

Sponsored Links