oziexplorer purchase

Submitted: Saturday, Jul 07, 2012 at 16:29
ThreadID: 96728 Views:3409 Replies:5 FollowUps:16
This Thread has been Archived
Just purchased oziexplorer for a gallexy 10.1 as was told that by having a full map the device gps could operate without a phone signal.Only seems to have a base map with no roads etc.Is this correct.Do i have to purchase maps as well.

Thanks Graeme.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Saturday, Jul 07, 2012 at 16:42

Saturday, Jul 07, 2012 at 16:42
Graeme,

Ozi does not include maps. Since the Galaxy includes a proper gps, I'd expect Ozi to work well with it and not rely on the phone network. You will however need to purchase a raster map/s. The most commonly used one is probably the 1:250k Natmap, available from the EO store and elsewhere. Hema and others also offer electronic versions of most of the maps that are of interest to ozi explorers.

Cheers

John
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 490331

Follow Up By: equinox - Saturday, Jul 07, 2012 at 17:26

Saturday, Jul 07, 2012 at 17:26
John,

I bought a Galaxy the other day. Ozi works great on it. Has all of my 2600 maps stored on it. Am tinkering with Android Screen designer software and that works well as well.

Sure beats my little HP PDA that I've been using since 2007.

Only problem is it is too large and there does not seem to be a mount that suits a cruiser. May have to stick it to the dash with gaffa tape.

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 765610

Follow Up By: Member - graeme W (WA) - Saturday, Jul 07, 2012 at 18:21

Saturday, Jul 07, 2012 at 18:21
Thanks John.Thats what i thought but was not sure .Im sure that no one who operates websites relize how difficult it is to understand the way they write there stuff.Much easer if they said for instance you need this to run the program then you need this if you 4x4 in WA etc etc.For instance how do i know what maps would be the off road equal of those in my explorist.Actually have a set of maps from oziexplorer that SES in WA use on my computer but would not have a clue how to put them if possible onto the tab.
Hope i can connect my tab to the explorist and use as a screen as at least i know how to use the explorist.

Cheers Graeme.
FollowupID: 765621

Follow Up By: Ross M - Saturday, Jul 07, 2012 at 19:02

Saturday, Jul 07, 2012 at 19:02
Graeme
All th emaps you have/get will have to be changed to OZFX3 format to make them work within the Oziexplorer program.
I use a ASUS TF101 and have had to convert all my maps to OZXF3 format to get them recognisable by OziE.
FollowupID: 765627

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Saturday, Jul 07, 2012 at 19:03

Saturday, Jul 07, 2012 at 19:03
Hi Graeme,

Just what map to buy is a problem. As said, probably the best coverage of the whole country is the Natmap 1:250k. Hema , Westprint and other publishers offer their paper maps in electronic form and these are good too. Be aware that Ozi uses raster maps, NOT the vector based ones which are often found in a dashboard mounted gps. Don't know your explorist, but it may use the wrong sort of maps for Ozi.

As for how you load maps (they are big files) into your tablet, I can't help, though I'm sure Allan will be happy to. I bought a non-gps tablet a while back expecting to use a usb gps. No......doesn't work like that so I may follow your lead and invest in a Galaxy. I'm a bit confused about models though - there seem to be a lot of variants and I'd hate to accidentally buy another one without a gps ! Would certainly create a serious domestic situation!

Cheers

John
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 765628

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Saturday, Jul 07, 2012 at 19:18

Saturday, Jul 07, 2012 at 19:18
As Ross says, the Android version of Ozi uses OZFX3 formatted files. A conversion utiliy is available on the Ozi site to convert from standard raster files.

Alan - We currently use Ozi on a windows 10" tablet which hangs in a sling in front of the radios in our Troopy. Not ideal, but provides a good sized screen, conveniently located, and cushions the computer from the worst tracks. There's a photo in our Troopy blog, that might help you with mounting. (I can't set up a link at the moment but you'll find it in the list at the bottom of the EO main blog page.)

Cheers

John
J and V
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 765629

Follow Up By: Member - graeme W (WA) - Saturday, Jul 07, 2012 at 20:29

Saturday, Jul 07, 2012 at 20:29
Hi John. I bought the unit in a rush because the other half wanted to be able to read emails etc on our latest trip to bullies camp up at cape leveque.Got the 64 gig model with 3g for the same price as the 32 without 3g because the seller had a stuff up.Did not even no it had a gps at that stage.Found it very good for that purpose and at home it auto goes to wifi when near our computer.Email easy to set up and we only use the web for weather etc.If i can use as a 4x4 gps that will be a bonas.The mapping system it has seems very good for general use but not offroading hense the questions.Has voice activated gps that i have not used yet.
Have a magellon gp20 ,magellon explorist and a navman 85xlt.Did not really need another one but the big screen would be a bonus.Hard enough to learn how to use those.

Cheers Graeme.
FollowupID: 765638

Follow Up By: equinox - Saturday, Jul 07, 2012 at 22:28

Saturday, Jul 07, 2012 at 22:28
Hi John - It looks like a good mount. I think I will need one turned towards me though. Better viewing - and plus the dog will never look at it let alone tell me where I am :)

Hi Graeme
It sounds as if you already have set Ozi up on your tablet so I won't go into that - my late Grandma would never have been able to work it out.

To get your map files across simply drag or copy across. Put into the directory root/oziexplorer/maps. For ease put your map files and image files into the one directory. Remember each "map" has an map file (*.map) - which has all the info about the map, name and calibration details etc..and an image file (*.ozf2, *.ozfx3, *.ECW) which contains the actual image. From what I can work out Ozi Android can use all these formats.

Ozi Android has a default file directory of /sd card. As Galaxy Tab 10.1 has no SD slot this is rather confusing. In actual fact /sd card is the root directory so your file path may be sd card/oziexplorer/maps.

Oziexplorer Android Screen designer is cool. I used the normal version also on my now secondary GPS, however the screen was to small to really take advantage of it.
You can design your own customised screens. The default screens have too much info, I don't need to know everything - so I filter all the info into my own screens. I am also left-handed so I design all my screens to be used by the left hander.

Image Could Not Be Found

I been delayed for a few days now as the dog chewed my download cable, however In a few weeks I should have everything set up just right.

Galaxy Tab is great as I also get all the other functions, 3G internet, email, sms, imaging, excel and PDF files etc...

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 765647

Follow Up By: Member - graeme W (WA) - Saturday, Jul 07, 2012 at 22:49

Saturday, Jul 07, 2012 at 22:49
Hi Alan.Be good if you were just down the road. Can download apps use the net email etc but have no idea about or where to find the things you mention.If they can supply the operating app why not the map to go with it.Where would a directory be.? Cheers Graeme
FollowupID: 765648

Follow Up By: equinox - Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 00:06

Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 00:06
Hi Graeme,

Oziexplorer has only ever been software that uses existing maps and image files. It is a great program, and I have been using it for 10 years now. The default program that comes with the Natmap series as an example, is useless for navigation, and I haven't even looked at it for years.

I guess the first thing would be is to get used to Windows Explorer, or whatever file management you have on your PC.

I suggest:

1. Obtain the map files by either buying them or going to one of getoutmores functions :) Put them on your home hard drive.

2. Plug your Galaxy Tab into your home PC USB with the cable supplied.

3. Use Windows Explorer (or similar). Your Tablet should show up in the Devices.

4. To look at your directory structure on the Galaxy select Apps from the right hand top corner and click on the "My Files" app.

5. Select the map files from your hard drive (remember 2 files for each map)

6. Copy or drag these files to the /root/oziexplorer/maps directory on the Galaxy Tab section of your file manager (Double click on the Galaxy to open its directory structure).

7. Use Windows Explorer or your file management system on your PC to transfer the files, NOT the Galaxy

This is what part of my structure on my Galaxy looks like:

Image Could Not Be Found

8. The files can be in one directory eg..oziexplorer/maps or multiple directories such as oziexplorer/maps/hema/Australia - Great Desert Tracks

9. It may take some time to transfer

10. After transfer has been completed open up Ozi Android

11. Open Configuration Menu in Ozi Android.

12. Open General Settings

13. Set the Map file path to /mnt/sdcard/Oziexplorer/Maps

14. Close program and restart Galaxy

15. Open Ozi Android - Load Map

otherwise message me your phone number and I can talk you through it sometime.
Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 765654

Follow Up By: Member - graeme W (WA) - Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 11:51

Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 11:51
Hi Alan.
Thanks .Appreciate the effort people put into replies like this.Have a friend who should be able to follow the directions.Member Bruce has the full set of hema maps for sale on cd would they be useable or have a code only for him.

Cheers graeme.
FollowupID: 765690

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 12:22

Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 12:22
Alan I think you will need to sit down with some of use Perth based guys to talk us/show us how this lot all works.

I'm seriously looking at getting one to replace the laptop I mount in the car, but I'm completely out of my depth when you start talking Android etc.

Pity there isn't a shop that sells all the software and hardware and has staff that knows what the heck they are talking about and then dumb it down so that I could understand!
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 765694

Reply By: Member - baffle (QLD) - Saturday, Jul 07, 2012 at 20:47

Saturday, Jul 07, 2012 at 20:47
I just advertised the Raster Hema Mapos of Austyralia if you are interested.
AnswerID: 490348

Reply By: get outmore - Saturday, Jul 07, 2012 at 22:44

Saturday, Jul 07, 2012 at 22:44
Where do you live?. I can help you out with every map you'll ever need for a few beers I run the same thing on my android phone
AnswerID: 490355

Follow Up By: Member - graeme W (WA) - Saturday, Jul 07, 2012 at 22:54

Saturday, Jul 07, 2012 at 22:54
Hi Getoutmore. In bunbury.
FollowupID: 765650

Follow Up By: get outmore - Saturday, Jul 07, 2012 at 22:56

Saturday, Jul 07, 2012 at 22:56
Oh. Im in perth and we have map swap nights sometimes.
FollowupID: 765651

Follow Up By: Member - graeme W (WA) - Saturday, Jul 07, 2012 at 23:17

Saturday, Jul 07, 2012 at 23:17
Hi get outmore away next few days will message jou later.
FollowupID: 765652

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 10:12

Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 10:12
Guys,

Your problem with mounting the Galaxy Tab (or any other Tablet or mobile phone) can be overcome with a holder from HoldmyPhone

I have just ordered a centre mount and active holder for my Colorado to hold my Galaxy Tab 10.1 on which I have already installed OziExplorer and Natmap maps.

I love my Hema Navigator HN5 but as I have the Galaxy Tab I have decided to try the bigger size unit out.

P.S. I use a TomTom device for city navigation as I do not want to interrupt Ozi when running.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

AnswerID: 490380

Follow Up By: Member - graeme W (WA) - Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 21:48

Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 21:48
Hi Bill. Could you let me know which mount you purchased.Had a look at the site and the first one that came up for 69 dollars looks okay.Looks as though the mount screws to the dash somewhere.Just have to get some maps on the unit somehow.
Cheers Graeme.have a hilux
FollowupID: 765772

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Monday, Jul 09, 2012 at 07:56

Monday, Jul 09, 2012 at 07:56
Graeme,

The type of mount you require depends on the year of the Hilux you have.
It looks as though the Hilux has the option of a console mount or a dash centre mount.
The dash centre mount is not screwed but is inserted between the gaps in the panel joins and retained by adhesive strips.

Just follow the A + B steps of selecting the Holder and mount of your choice, to suit the specific model and year range of your Hilux.

If yours is a later model Hilux (98-05) the SKU 652594 Centre Mount is the one for you.

The Active Holder (SKU512329) has built-in power connection for the Galaxy Tab 10.1 and just plugs into the ciggy socket.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

FollowupID: 765786

Reply By: Member - wicket - Monday, Jul 09, 2012 at 10:44

Monday, Jul 09, 2012 at 10:44
graeme W

Your magellan explorist uses maps that are .imi files which Oziexplorer can't read, if you look aroung there might be a converter somewhere that will convert to the ozi file types, chances are slim though.
Not sure if VantagePoint can be used with Android.
AnswerID: 490464

Sponsored Links