gunbarrell highway

Submitted: Saturday, Jul 07, 2012 at 18:50
ThreadID: 96732 Views:2113 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
we are heading down the GCR in early September and wondering what the current road conditions are on the Gunbarell highway via the heather highway which suppose to be very corrugated to Evered Junction and across to Carnegie everytime we look the road conditions are unknown...we live on the east coast of NSW and we have had a lot of rain like a lot of australia and as we will be travelling on our own accross to willuna we would appreciate any comments from anyone that has been out there recently... we are travelling with an off road camper now and a older hilux with turbo and totally rebuilt we are heading over to port headland and down thru the rest of western australia to finish our 22 year trip around aussie land with this 4x4 . we now have all the mod cons with ozi explorer maps and a satphone and have done some aussies great treks...so we are not novices... all your comments will help us decide which fway we will go...many thanks ross and chris.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Life Member - Phil B (WA) - Saturday, Jul 07, 2012 at 22:44

Saturday, Jul 07, 2012 at 22:44
Hi rooschris

Only this week I saw this road report

Gunbarrel Hwy (David Carnegie Road east to Gary Hwy).
The section maintained by Wiluna Shire to a point east of Mungilli Claypan is in good condition. The remainder is corrugated with many rough wash-outs.

It was posted at

http://www.westprint.com.au/cgi-bin/dada/mail.cgi/archive/Friday_Five/20120706143343/

There are lots of other western desert track up dates as well.

cheers

There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 490354

Follow Up By: Grumblebum and the Dragon - Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 14:10

Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 14:10
would be surprised if any of it was in "Good" condition. To my knowledge it has not seen a grader since 1986. We did it with a 19' Bushtracker in 2010 and used to live in the area as well.

It is heavily corrugated throughout the entire length and a lot of the corrugations were covered in lateritic grave - round pea sized. Also a few areas of wash-outs on the eastern end and in a couple of places the trees have closed in on the road. They are mostly soft mulga so slow speed should see it OK just watch out for any dead stuff.

Take it easy - carry the full kit - spares, water, first aid etc. Three of the four wells with handpumps were working when we crossed - good water.

Just remember that recovery from out there in the GIbson Desert will cost you $10,000 plus plus.

But it is a great trip with great scerery and history - read up on some of Len Beadells books before you go - very entertaining.

John
FollowupID: 765715

Follow Up By: rocco2010 - Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 15:15

Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 15:15
Gidday

the "good" refers specifically to the section maintained by the Wiluna shire which stretches out past the Mungilli claypan and it was certainly good when I was there 12 months ago. The Claypan itself was full then with a diversion built to the south.

The rest is as others say, lots or corros, lots of washouts ... but if you drive appropriately and don't set an unrealistic timetable there is little to trouble experienced travellers.

And you won't be alone, there are quite a few people on that road at that time of year. And just in case nobody has mentioned it elsewhere, fuel at Carnegie is cash only

Have a great trip, it is great part of the country

Cheers

rocco
FollowupID: 765731

Reply By: Member - John - Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 08:26

Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 08:26
Hi, conditions can change very quickly between now and September, maybe better to check back closer to the travel time. I am sure you will enjoy your trip. John
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 490366

Reply By: Mudguard - Monday, Jul 09, 2012 at 09:44

Monday, Jul 09, 2012 at 09:44
G,Day Rosschris, we ran through there 3 wks ago, the Heather & eastern GB are as stated,35kmh and pick which road diversion the road into Carnegie which is maintained by the Willuna Council is good 80kmh can recomend a o/nite stay at Carnegie Jody cooks a mean roast!
AnswerID: 490457

Reply By: Member - rosschris - Monday, Jul 09, 2012 at 22:07

Monday, Jul 09, 2012 at 22:07
thank you all for your thoughts and input we will speak to fellow travellers as we get close to warburton and keep watching track and road conditions ....as we have had a very wet year on the east coast of nsw with this crazy weather...we are more concerned about water and rain. ...but its suppose to be drier out there now. we have done a few treks where we have had a lot of rain and that we would rather avod...happy travels one and all ....looking forward to which ever way our journey takes us....a magical mystery tour...is always great.....but the anticipation sure bugs you.... ross and chris
AnswerID: 490519

Sponsored Links