Bush camping in a caravan Parachilna Gorge Flinders Ranges

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 08:19
ThreadID: 96739 Views:8011 Replies:7 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Folks,
Looking at making the trip to the Flinders Ranges in Sept.Parachilna Gorge looks great. We really want to bush camp (no amenities) and would prefer a little privacy. I know this might be wishful thinking at this time of the year. My question is, ... Can one access Parachilna Gorge with a caravan. One will be an off-road van the other an on road van. Both tugs will be Prado's.

If this is not possible, I am open to suggestions for alternative camp sites but I really want to stay clear of caravan parks and would prefer a little privacy where everyone is not camped right on top of one another.

Also, is stone damage to the caravans likely in accessing Parachilna Gorge or other alternative campsites??

Thanks in advance.

Offroaddags...
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Robert H2 - Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 08:45

Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 08:45
My wife and I drove through Parachilna gorge last August is a camper van with few difficulties, so I don't think you should have to much difficulities towing your caravan. We were not looking for free camping spots, camping only in the nominated camp grounds.
This is truly a magnificent area of our great country.
AnswerID: 490367

Reply By: KevinE - Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 09:06

Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 09:06
It really depends on the weather! We've been down there a few times in dry weather without any issues, but (BIG BUT!) that all changes if it's been raining! There are numerous creek crossings & some are deep enough to warrant a high clearance vehicle. We did it in a Ford Laser once after heavy rain, but we really shouldn't have & we suffered some damage under the car as a result. There were rocks everywhere in the crossings that had been washed there by the rain, so we had to walk every crossing before we drove through. But we still managed to miss finding at least one rock! (very murky water!) There were graders there trying to fix the road at most damaged crossings, but they were struggling!

Cheers,

Kevin.......... ;)
AnswerID: 490369

Reply By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 09:12

Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 09:12
Assuming you are coming from Parachilna..you only have about 12k of good gravel
to reach the gorge..no issues with a van. Camped there in 07..sunrise was awesome.
cheers....oldbaz.
AnswerID: 490371

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 09:15

Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 09:15
Between the western entrance and Angorichina, there are lots of places where a van can easily pull in off the road to the creek edge, for camping. If you look on Google Earth at places like [ 31° 7'44.64"S 138°29'56.31"E and 31° 7'27.89"S - 138°30'46.99"E ] you can clearly see such spots. Clearance for the ON road van might be an issue in some camp spots, but others will probably be quite easy. Rain events can gouge out the water crossings on that road - maybe check with the locals on the phone (eg......Parachilna and Blinman pubs). There is the [ http://www.dpti.sa.gov.au/OutbackRoads/outback_road_conditions/area_1_flinders_and_gammon_ranges ] too.
AnswerID: 490373

Reply By: Sigmund - Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 15:11

Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 15:11
We did P. gorge road two weeks ago and I wouldn't recommend it for an on-road van.
AnswerID: 490407

Reply By: Warren B - Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 19:48

Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 19:48
Hi guys, pulled into P,gorge last july for one night only and left four days later i know my imfo is 12 months old, but then an on road van would of had no problems. 2 spots, where we camped just off the road easy get 2 vans in but in sight of the road, the other off the road and very well hidden again can get both vans in but fair bet a couple from halls gap will have it. pull up and search around a bit you have quite a few options.
Cheers Warren
AnswerID: 490425

Reply By: Offroaddags - Wednesday, Jul 11, 2012 at 19:15

Wednesday, Jul 11, 2012 at 19:15
Thanks all for your replies. Sounds doable if we take it easy. Might have to look far and wide for a campsite over the school holidays....
AnswerID: 490675

Sponsored Links