Relocation 4WD

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 17:59
ThreadID: 96750 Views:1678 Replies:1 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I have been thinking about flying to Darwin and getting a relocation 2 berth 4WD to drive through the Kimberley to either Broome and/or Perth before flying back to Queensland. I will be flying into Perth from an overseas trip and have a paid ticket from Perth. I can arrange my flights for the extra time and don't want to waste it when I could spend a few days seeing some of the north west. Has anyone taken advantage of a relocation vehicle to trtavel?
Cheers, Bruce
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: GimmeeIsolation - Monday, Jul 09, 2012 at 12:23

Monday, Jul 09, 2012 at 12:23
Hi Bruce, I have done about 10-12 of these over the years, taking everything from the smaller Hilux PopTops to six berth motorhomes across Australia.
Sometimes I organise another relocation vehicle at the first drop off to travel to another place several thousand kilometres away.
The process is very easy and quick to organise but I would recommend you still pay for the insurance. if you dont take the insurance and get a stone chip on the windscreen for instance, that can cost a lot of money. Better paying for it for peace of mind I believe from experience and not stress so much when people cannot keep their car/caravan/third trailer on the bitumen.
They do have a set period to get the vehicle there, usually works out about 600kms a day when travelling the area you mention so when travelling the West Coast, 600kms is very easy if you are use to long distance driving so if you do more it gives you time elsewhere.
One problem with the vehicles is lack of long range fuel tanks so you will have to stop frequently, 300-350kms, to refuel when punching into the wind over this way which takes up time.
You can pay for a couple of days to allow more time for looking around along the way which may help.
From my experience and likes, the bigger the better for comfort in a Captains chair, the shower,cooking facilities and speed/ease of getting going in the morning. Fuel costs are not that different as the bigger vehicles are European diesels being more fuel efficient for their size than some of the other manufactures carrying a poptop punching into a headwind.
You will enjoy your trip and from my experience, organise another. They are not a proper holiday as time is limited, but if you like open spaces like me, its a great destress and gives you ideas on coming back to an area you have passed through. Highly recommended. Safe travels.
AnswerID: 490468

Sponsored Links