Tanami/Great Sandy Desert Indigenous Protection Area.

Submitted: Monday, Jul 09, 2012 at 15:50
ThreadID: 96768 Views:2722 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Tanami IPA

This will no doubt mean yet more permits. That's a huge area involved.

Would love to see a map detailing the area involved. I'm wondering if my old home the former Mt. Doreen (Now abandoned) falls within it. The Brailtling family abandoned the original homestead on the Tanami Track, n/west of Yuendemu, in the late 1950's due to lack reliable water supply, and relocated further west to Vaughan Springs.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: i'machocoholic - Monday, Jul 09, 2012 at 17:58

Monday, Jul 09, 2012 at 17:58
Hi Fred,

I have to tell you that we camped at Mt Doreen a couple of weeks ago, what a fantastic place! It was great having a look around at the old relics and even taking a peek in one of the old mines.

I have heard other people say that there's not much to see along the Tanami, but I truly loved it. So much so, that if we hadn't made other arrangements for our trip home, I would have really loved to have returned along that route with its ever changing landscape. It's great!
AnswerID: 490494

Follow Up By: Fred G NSW - Monday, Jul 09, 2012 at 19:01

Monday, Jul 09, 2012 at 19:01
Mate, always good to hear from recent visitors to Mt. Doreen. One of my ambitions in life before I fall off the perch is to go back there and camp for a week or more, and reminisce. So many memories from so long ago.

It was a bustling cattle station/community back then, worked by mainly local indigenous stockmen and their families.

Those mines you saw were mainly where Wolfram was mined, by a couple of Irish miners, who also founded tiny bits of gold. The hill and the property were named after the original owner (my parents boss)'s wife, Doreen Braitling.

I'll have to get back to adding to my Blog from times out there. You may have just given me the inspirition mate :-)
FollowupID: 765850

Sponsored Links