Re - Meridian GPS / Disc Oz Streets 7 Tracks

Submitted: Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 01:43
ThreadID: 9677 Views:1798 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All
Just returned from a great trip through the back end of SA (Bloody hot) and used my Meridian Gold linked to my lap top with Discover OZ streets and maps.
It worked very well except for a small problem that occured infrequently.

The track plot would draw itself a vertical Nth-Sth or horizontal east-west line on the lap top screen.
The track would continue on the road or track we were on and all of a sudden this vertical or horizontal line would appear and generally disapear of the screen edge going what seems like no where in particular.
Line does not appear on the GPS screen only on the lap top which lends itself to a possible problem with the program.

I have no answer for this, Any ideas ????????

Regards
John
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: paulp - Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 19:34

Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 19:34
John,
While I cannot help with your particular problem I used to navigate all over the USA when I worked there a couple of years ago with various mapping/route software and a Garmin GPS and a laptop. I lost count of the "anomolies" of using a GPS - they can really get confused sometimes - usually when a landscape feature cuts off previously strong signal satellites. The software in the Garmin took a while to adjust (probably in the [usually] vain hope they would suddenly re-appear!).

What is the Discover Oz software you were using? I've been looking for something decent for off road and street level navigation and trip planning but all the software I've tried with Oz maps just sucks compared to what I'm used to. I've not heard of Discover Oz - I just tried a google search but turned up nothing...

I really want someone that will work with my laptop and GPS - I hate the concept of a navigation system tied into the car - I want to use it no matter whose car I'm in and I carry the laptop anyway (digital photo storage and cd burning during the trip and at times internet to email home to let people know I'm still alive).

Paul
AnswerID: 42708

Follow Up By: William - Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 22:16

Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 22:16
OziExplorer is magic www.oziexplorer.com
FollowupID: 305077

Sponsored Links