Camping around Normamton

Submitted: Monday, Jul 09, 2012 at 20:02
ThreadID: 96777 Views:2994 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All
Can anyone tell me of a good camping areas around Normamton.
I have been told of a commercial camp ground just out of town.
Having trouble remembering ther name, if anyone can help please
Traveling up that way in late August

Cheers

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member-Heather MG NSW - Monday, Jul 09, 2012 at 22:04

Monday, Jul 09, 2012 at 22:04
Hi Laurie,

Leichhardt Lagoon Campground is about 19 kms East of Normanton on the Georgetown Road. You will need to phone the caretaker and book otherwise it may be full, as it seems to be often.

Also, be warned that it is VERY noisy with generators running all day from 7.30AM to 10 PM and there is the possibility that you will find someone parked very close to you.
Kind of ruins the idea of a campground being more pleasant than a van park, or did for us when we stayed there a couple of weeks ago for 4 nights!
Maybe you aren't bothered by either.

regards,

Heather

Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 490518

Reply By: Cravenhaven - Monday, Jul 09, 2012 at 22:45

Monday, Jul 09, 2012 at 22:45
there is a camping spot halfway to karumba from normanton. Free camp by the creek (something like walker creek). Just at the sharpish lefthand bend on the karumbah-normanton road. no facilities of course.
cravenhaven

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 490521

Follow Up By: Member - Boo Boo (NSW) - Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 07:02

Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 07:02
Yep, I'll second Walkers ck.

Most seem to camp on the right hand side on the Kurumba side heading out of Normanton.

FollowupID: 765881

Reply By: myaussieadventure - Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 08:02

Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 08:02
We stayed at leichadt lagoon last year and loved it. Got some beautiful sunsets there. The sites were a good size too.
They Also had big campfire nights with everyone which was really nice :)
If you take the track almost just opposite the park, you go through a gate and you can camp down near the river. No facilities but nice spots. Just stay back from the waters edge- crocs live in the river. Heaps of people catch their barras there!
Have a great time, we loved normanton and the savannah way.
AnswerID: 490534

Follow Up By: Member-Heather MG NSW - Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 11:48

Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 11:48
We first stayed there about 4 years ago and also loved it then, however with more and more people using it, I think they need to have specified generator and non generator areas.

Also the first time we went there we were able to choose our site. This time I asked twice, once when booking and also when we arrived, whether we could do this and was told that the caretaker would show us where we could stay!
I did mention that we didn't need to run a generator.

The rule used to be that before setting up your camp, you asked any other campers whether or not you were too close. If they agreed, then it was ok.
This time we had a caravan pull up with its rear about 2 metres from us...closer than most parks we have stayed in!

As I said earlier, some people would not mind at all but we have decided it is no longer on our list of places to stay, despite the barra fishing close by...our main reason for going there.

regards,

heather

Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 765891

Sponsored Links