Adelaide to Melbourne

Submitted: Wednesday, Jul 11, 2012 at 15:43
ThreadID: 96808 Views:1931 Replies:9 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi there.

We will be embarking on our next trip from Perth to Melbourne later this year and are in the planning stage right now and trying to work out some sort of route and itinerary for the Adelaide to Melbourne leg of the trip.

Time is of no importance and the only restriction for us is:- the route must be on bitumen only as we don't have a 4wd.

As we have never been to this part of the country before, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Also - any thoughts on Wudinna as against Kimba, while crossing the Eyre Peninsula.

Many Thanks.

Lin and Don
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - MUZBRY(Vic) - Wednesday, Jul 11, 2012 at 15:53

Wednesday, Jul 11, 2012 at 15:53
Gday
You will find that all main roads in Victoria are sealed. Take your pick, go
south East along the Great ocean road, go East down the main highway, go North east up through Mildura and down the river Murray. Lots of things to see and do on all those roads. My choice would be the Great Ocean rd .

Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 490654

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Wednesday, Jul 11, 2012 at 16:06

Wednesday, Jul 11, 2012 at 16:06
where the heck is dargo
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 766020

Follow Up By: Member - MUZBRY(Vic) - Wednesday, Jul 11, 2012 at 16:22

Wednesday, Jul 11, 2012 at 16:22
Gday Broodie
Dargo is a tiny little town with all the amenities , pub , store , motel , camping ground. What more can you need. Travel east from Melbourne for a couple of hours and turn left past Stratford . Go up 992 meters and you are there. The 992 is straight up into the hills.

Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 766023

Reply By: Pradobob - Wednesday, Jul 11, 2012 at 16:09

Wednesday, Jul 11, 2012 at 16:09
G'day Lindon,
I haven't stayed at Kimba, but there is a nice little caravan park in Wudinna.
Also, I worked in Ceduna (fresh fish, oysters, prawns etc at Thevenard) for a while last year. Nice CP there (a bit out of town), named Shelley Beach. Both places have great bakeries.
Cheers,
Bob
AnswerID: 490655

Reply By: Member - nick b - Wednesday, Jul 11, 2012 at 17:25

Wednesday, Jul 11, 2012 at 17:25
Lin and Don : The coast road would be a lot more interesting via streaky bay pt Lincoin etc .... If you like cheap fresh Osters go the coast rd ....
-wudinna & Kimba are much the same small country towns -

After Adelaide Tailem bend & then the coast rd again ,meningie kinston mt gambier great ocean rd . If you want more detailed info let us know your itinerary ...

cheers nick
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 490660

Reply By: Bushranger1 - Wednesday, Jul 11, 2012 at 17:57

Wednesday, Jul 11, 2012 at 17:57
Yep. Great Ocean road as others have said.

Western Hwy if your in a hurry. Gee I would like a dollar for all the times I have done the Western Hwy to Adelaide!

Cheers
Stu
AnswerID: 490664

Reply By: Member - Brian R (WA) - Wednesday, Jul 11, 2012 at 18:47

Wednesday, Jul 11, 2012 at 18:47
Hi Guys

Stopped twice at Kimba on our trip, just for over night. First time next to the roadhouse, around $20. On our way back to WA stayed over night at the Lions Park (in town) No Power or shower , but toilets and Barbie just leave a donation
Brian R
AnswerID: 490667

Reply By: Andrew & Jen - Wednesday, Jul 11, 2012 at 19:00

Wednesday, Jul 11, 2012 at 19:00
Hullo Lin and Don
Lots of good suggestions above.
I presume you are returning to Perth afterwards. In which case you may want, for example, to return along the Great Ocean Road as many would argue that the E->W trip has better views and is easier to pull off at the lookout bays along the way.
The Dukes / Western Hwys are busy roads with a lot of truck traffic. May be take one of the routes to the north, eg Pt Augusta, across to and along the Murray, down through Bendigo and into Melbourne. The return along the GOR, and the SA SE coast.
I would like to comment on your statement "the route must be on bitumen only as we don't have a 4wd." There are tens of thousands of open surface roads in Australia that are quite suitable for 2WD vehicles and over which 10s of millions of kms of travel are made each year without incident. If your could see your way to at least deviate off the main route from time to time, you could include many gems that would reward the extra bit of travel. For example, west of Apollo Bay on the GOR, there is a road that leads to Cape Otway Lighthouse. And at Lavers Hill, just travelling 10kms and back along the Chapple Hill Road would reward you with experiencing a section of beautiful rain forest.
Cheers
Andrew
AnswerID: 490672

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Wednesday, Jul 11, 2012 at 19:24

Wednesday, Jul 11, 2012 at 19:24
Recommend hugging the coast all the way . . . Ceduna, Smoky Bay, Streaky, Venus (gem this one), Pt Lincoln.
All the above is nice to take your time.

From there you can get a bit of a drive up and get into Adelaide as quick as you want.
Maybe a day to explore the Barossa or the Fleurieu Peninsula, do you want to see Kangaroo Is ? . . . 2 - 3 days if so min.

Then freeway to Tailem Bend, go the Princes Hwy through to Kingston SE.
Then take your time again . . .
Southern Ports Hwy to Robe, Beachport, (be sure to check out the coast through here, visit headlands), Millicent, Mt Gambier . . .

Detour down to Nelson, check out Glenelg River area, into Portland and around for the Great Ocean Road.

What a road trip.
AnswerID: 490676

Follow Up By: Member - John D, Wandong (Vic) - Thursday, Jul 12, 2012 at 13:09

Thursday, Jul 12, 2012 at 13:09
Whilst in Portland, head west out of town to Cape Bridgewater and check out the blowholes and the petrified forest.
On the way to Warrambool, stop off at Port Fairy for a great feed of seafood!

Cheers,
FollowupID: 766101

Reply By: Inland Sailor - Thursday, Jul 12, 2012 at 09:24

Thursday, Jul 12, 2012 at 09:24
Try the secondary Hwys from S. A. to see the Western part of Vic, Lie the Glenelg Hwy or the Wimmera/Pyrennes Hwys.
You'll have far less traffic and pass through the old gold era small towns and rural regional centres that make up the real Victoria. Great stuff and plenty of places to stay and poke around for a while before facing the urban chaos that's Melbourne!
AnswerID: 490709

Follow Up By: jothefw - Thursday, Jul 12, 2012 at 11:18

Thursday, Jul 12, 2012 at 11:18
+ 1 I agree totally. Especially if you're keen to see the sights and just plod along, no need to have a B-double on your tail all the time!
FollowupID: 766092

Reply By: lindon - Monday, Jul 16, 2012 at 18:46

Monday, Jul 16, 2012 at 18:46
Hi there.

Just a short note to thank you all for responding to my request.

Some very useful information has been taken on board and we now have a "rough" idea of which route to take and what to see and do along the way.

Kind Regards.

Lin and Don

AnswerID: 491097

Sponsored Links