The unravel of a 6wk trip

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 12, 2012 at 22:50
ThreadID: 96837 Views:2560 Replies:8 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hello everyone
I am sad to report that we had to abandon plans to travell the GRR etc on 11/7/12 due to the dreaded flu which took over 3 out of 5 of us and moving on to the 4th. It is the worst flu I have encountered for many years. Our first night was a freezing night on the Galena bridge which I think did the damage for me. I had everything I could possibly need to keep warm but I just couldn't warm up. Beautiful spot but very busy also.

We decided to forget the Kennedy Ranges as inland was colder than the coast so headed for Hamlin Pool and stayed there a couple of nights. Again beautiful spot with real friendly hosts at the Homestead. The flu had gripped us so bad that we decided on the second night there that if no improvement by morning then we will go home.

Well to cut it short we went home via a couple of days stay at Kalbarri at a motel. Fantastic spot. The motel charged us $155 per night for 3 adults and 2 children and was very roomy close to the beach/river(not that we went swimming). We thought that our German backpacker would like to walk the gorge or do something different where there are lots to choose from however the first day the weather was wet, cold and windy. So we stayed indoors, warm and dry.

We went home with our tails between our legs and a holiday ruined. But!!!!
We are thankful to come home where our comfy beds are and into warmth and peace. There's a reason for everything and I am sure I will find out what that will be in due course.

So happy travelling to all who are out there and to those especially who are suffering the flu whilst you are travelling and I met quite a few travelling fluey chaps/girls I'm thinking of you. Dont take any unecessary risks with your health. Keep warm and dry, take your time and keep your fluids/food up.

Bye and best wishes
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - nick b - Thursday, Jul 12, 2012 at 23:32

Thursday, Jul 12, 2012 at 23:32
Dirt Princess : Sorry to hear that you couldn't manage the GGR . Its funny about the sickness , I'm not one to get the flu often but on our trip 6 week I got sick/flu /cold twice but I'm not selfish so I passed it on as one does to the mrs ......
hope your getting better cheers

Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 490769

Reply By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Friday, Jul 13, 2012 at 00:26

Friday, Jul 13, 2012 at 00:26
That's no good Dirt Princess, certainly unfortunate for you but as you say, better off home. You have the trip to still look forward to another day, I agree things happen for a reason.
It appears a nasty flu this year, have passed it by at the moment but a lot of folk around me have/ had it. Last year I missed the one that went around until we went on our annual trip to Shark Bay and Coral Bay in October, hope the same doesn't happen again this year.

Hope you shake it off quickly.

Cheers

D

Simba, our much missed baby.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 490772

Reply By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Friday, Jul 13, 2012 at 07:03

Friday, Jul 13, 2012 at 07:03
Hi Dirt Princess. Authorities over here in the East are saying the flu strain this year is a particularly nasty one and advise all to get vaccinated.
For what it's worth I have had the flu vax for the last 10 years and so far it has worked well. Hope you improve quickly and get to redo your trip soon. Bob.
AnswerID: 490779

Follow Up By: patsproule - Friday, Jul 13, 2012 at 09:28

Friday, Jul 13, 2012 at 09:28
Take this with a grain of salt, but I took work up on their annual free flu vax a few years ago and came down with the nastiest flu I had ever had straight away. So I miss the flu vax and have only had the odd mild bout since.
FollowupID: 766192

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Friday, Jul 13, 2012 at 09:35

Friday, Jul 13, 2012 at 09:35
pat, that was my experience too, although it was 10 years ago that I had the jab.

I got so crook I swore off the flu vaccine forever. Except I'm now giving it a re-think as I get older and enter the age group that is most at risk of adverse effects from a bad flu.

Next year I think we will both start on the jabs. Mrs Bush has had 2 bad doses of flu recently and she never gets crook like that, until now.

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 766193

Reply By: MrBitchi (QLD) - Friday, Jul 13, 2012 at 08:12

Friday, Jul 13, 2012 at 08:12
I feel for you Princess.

Sounds like my recent attempt at Cape York. Drove from Bris to Cairns and the Missus promptly broke her leg... Not a good way to end a holiday :(

AnswerID: 490785

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Friday, Jul 13, 2012 at 08:48

Friday, Jul 13, 2012 at 08:48
Hi Dirt Princess

After all your preparations its a real shame for this to happen. Hopefully you will be able to make the most of your remaining holiday time.

But the reality is that things do go wrong sometimes and we just have to "deal with it" as they say, and being unwell is not good on a camping trip.

Apparently the flu doing the rounds this year is a nasty strain so maybe you got off lightly ;-/

All the best for future travels, which will be easier for sure.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 490790

Reply By: Frances - Friday, Jul 13, 2012 at 13:07

Friday, Jul 13, 2012 at 13:07
I'm so disappointed for you but I absolutely love your attitude to life. All good things come to those who deserve it!
AnswerID: 490820

Reply By: Member - VickiW - Friday, Jul 13, 2012 at 21:01

Friday, Jul 13, 2012 at 21:01
It's horrible I know, I once spent one miserable day travelling a v dusty corregated road & 2 more laying in a hammock cause I couldn't move - no cold tablets to help. But I was so glad we had the hammock - sleeping in it wrapped in blankets all day wasn't all bad. Plus better than tummy troubles one the road!
:)
AnswerID: 490872

Reply By: Ron N - Saturday, Jul 14, 2012 at 22:41

Saturday, Jul 14, 2012 at 22:41
Dirt Princess - Sorry to hear of your trip North ruined by the 'flu. We left Perth on 28th June and have driven to Darwin in 15 days, where we arrived on Thursday 12th July.
We have had no 'flu problems, and haven't encountered anyone with them.

We had a fantastic trip, but this has been the coldest July I can recall for many years in the North of W.A. We followed the NW Coastal Hwy to keep away from the cold, but the cold followed us all the way to Turkey Creek. It was bitterly cold all the way from Jurien to Broome.

It was about 5 or 6 degrees at the Bungles when we camped there Sunday 9th July. Our breath was making visible moisture inside the camper when we breathed out.

However, I too, almost wrecked my trip, by a fall down the rock enbankment of the Ashburton River bridge abutment.
We walked up onto the bridge to see the moon rising over the river, making a fantastic photo opportunity. I raced back to our motorhome to grab the cameras, and promptly slipped on the top rock of the embankment as I took a shortcut.

I fell about 3 metres down the rock strewn face and was stopped by a huge rock that hit me in the upper thigh bone, as I was travelling sideways.
I thought I'd broken my hip or fractured my pelvis for sure.
I couldn't walk for a week, and I'm still walking with difficulty. I don't think I broke any bones, I just tore a lot of leg ligaments. One can't be too careful when on holiday.

I trust you get well soon, and it's a shame your holiday was ruined by the 'flu. However, there's always another year to do it in.

The North of W.A. is a madhouse this year - the amount of construction and development everywhere, coupled with a vast number of "grey nomads" and other travellers has stunned me, as I haven't been North for about 4 years, and the upsurge in activity, and the lack of accommodation anywhere is staggering. Darwin is no better - in fact I think it has got worse since I was here last in 2008.
AnswerID: 490974

Follow Up By: Member - Dirt Princess - Saturday, Jul 14, 2012 at 23:50

Saturday, Jul 14, 2012 at 23:50
Sorry to hear your news Ron. Thank God you didnt break any bones. As for the busy times, the people at Hamlin Pool said it was the busiest time they have had at this time of the year during the time we were there also. Sounds like maybe beinging of June is the better time to go north next time.
FollowupID: 766372

Sponsored Links