Follow Up - LC200 won't change past 4th

Submitted: Friday, Jul 13, 2012 at 08:35
ThreadID: 96842 Views:2781 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Just a post note to a topic I posted around mid June. It was concerning my mate Benno's 200 Diesel not changing past 4th.

It was all booked into Toyota's at Karratha as no local mechanic could find a solution and none could be given by dealers over the phone. As they live in Tom Price getting to the dealer wasn't as simple for them as most people. Luckily for Benno, his father-in-law, a farmer, is up visiting for a few weeks. Being the kind of chap he is, he wanted to have a look and a tinker.

It was suggested that they go back to basics. It would seem the whole issue was caused by the fuel filter. F-I-L looked at filter and it was full of rubbish and scum. There was no warning light on the dash. When they were trouble shooting the issue before, Benno raised the fact that the filter was what he considered to be extremely dirty. The mechanic though said it was ok and not the problem as the computer said it was fine.

Anyway, F-I-L replaced the fuel filter and `low and behold', the problem was cured. They took the girl for a good run and she was as smooth as silk.

So in a way this poses me a question. I guess that fuel starvation was the factor but would love to know if any experts can explain what was happening, and why there was no warning light about fuel filter maintenance showing on the dash?

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Serendipity(WA) - Friday, Jul 13, 2012 at 08:54

Friday, Jul 13, 2012 at 08:54
Hi Phill

I am not a mechanic but will forward a possible reason. The on board computer is smart enough to know it can not get enough fuel to allow you to go too fast.

The fuel filter is only changed by toyota if the light comes on. There is no periodic maintenance in the service book. Toyota will not change it unless the computer says so. I change mine twice a year regardless.

No filter warning light coming on is an issue but the light only comes on for water in fuel not rubbish in filter. But a 'check engine' light should have come on with the low fuel pressure. This is a major issue and could do harm to the fuel pump or injectors or whole motor. I would be getting that looked at.

Cheers

Serendipity

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 490791

Follow Up By: dbish - Friday, Jul 13, 2012 at 17:04

Friday, Jul 13, 2012 at 17:04
The problem these days with mechanics is they probably dont know what basics are anymore. If the Computer doesnt know then neither do they. I was brought up in a dealership that wouldnt spend the money on diagnostic computers. So you had to nut it out yourself.
FollowupID: 766239

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Friday, Jul 13, 2012 at 17:42

Friday, Jul 13, 2012 at 17:42
I followed that post when you put it up and I am glad you posted the solution. Bloody computers can't trust em.. I change my filters at least every 10K km's. Interesting I think used more of my filters on other peoples cars out in the bush than any other part when doing serious distance if does not take many outback fuel dumps etc to get all sorts of stuff swilling around the tank.

Thanks for letting us know.
David.
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 490846

Follow Up By: Member - Arsenal Phill - Friday, Jul 13, 2012 at 18:57

Friday, Jul 13, 2012 at 18:57
No worries David. It was a lesson for me to, as we recently had issue with fuel filter on the same trip that Benno was unable to bring his 200. It was kind of weird really that we both got probs with fuel filter at same time but coming from different directions.
No need for me to tell you what I am going to be buying a couple of this weekend........
The one thing I learnt on this last trip was ` carry spares'............ and I got an idea of the kind of things we need to grab. I guess though that this list could just go on and on????
FollowupID: 766246

Sponsored Links