Patrol Drive belt Tensioner.

Submitted: Friday, Jul 13, 2012 at 14:19
ThreadID: 96846 Views:2022 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I seem to be having trouble with the life of drive belt tensioner, on my 2005 3L Patrol. The first one went at 151245km and the second a further 27300km . I made sure the second one was gen Nissan parts and a different workshop fitting it, the first one that was fitted with a non gen belt, Nissan reconds? that's why it went so quick. Well now further on down the track (29741kms only) this one is making the tell tail noise. Most kms have been on black top (sometimes towing a van) and the odd dusty track(Holland Track)which was at the time like pretty good no mud and little dust, any advice. The patrol has been trouble free apart from the Tensioners.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Grizzle - Friday, Jul 13, 2012 at 15:38

Friday, Jul 13, 2012 at 15:38
I think that this is not an uncommon problem. Try the Patrol Forums. There are some posts on them regarding this. I have a 4.2 with 136k on it and no issue yet (fingers crossed)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 490835

Follow Up By: Member - hutchsky WA - Friday, Jul 13, 2012 at 15:43

Friday, Jul 13, 2012 at 15:43
Just done that thanks
FollowupID: 766223

Reply By: Jedo_03 - Friday, Jul 13, 2012 at 20:37

Friday, Jul 13, 2012 at 20:37
Hmmm...
Same happened to me about a year and a half ago - had the tensioner replaced in Broken Hill... few weeks later, the screak-screak-screak returned... took it back and they squirted something on the belts from an aerosol, which silenced the noise... for a while... Then the noise returned beginning of winter - intermittently and mainly mornings - first start... And of course had gone by the time I drove to the mechanic shop...
Anyhow... still intermittent... mornings... and ?worsening - so I took it into Nissan at Townsville (have posted on that) - they couldn't find anything - checked the belts and tensioners etc - kept it overnight so they could start it... Nothing...
Then, bugger me if that noise wasn't there again this morning..!!!
But of course, by the time I'd driven it to Nissan - Gorn..!!!
So to the questions:
Is it such a serious issue to have that noise from the belt / tensioner..??
What is the worst scenario..??
Could the 'noise' be something else..??
AnswerID: 490867

Follow Up By: Member - hutchsky WA - Friday, Jul 13, 2012 at 21:22

Friday, Jul 13, 2012 at 21:22
Thanks, goes in Monday for checks, hopefully it will check out ok, we are having some cold mornings and its also quite noisy tilll warms up, but still a bit of noise which was not there last week??
FollowupID: 766258

Sponsored Links