Off road caravan on the Bloomfield Track

Submitted: Friday, Jul 13, 2012 at 21:26
ThreadID: 96855 Views:7089 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, quick question, is it possible to take an Off Road caravan on the Bloomfield Track. Both van and car are very capable off road but not sure about how tight the track is or what the angles of some of the ascents and decents are, any advice appreciated.

Hado
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Friday, Jul 13, 2012 at 22:10

Friday, Jul 13, 2012 at 22:10
Read this thread Bloomfield Track
If you use the search function you get this Search for Bloomfield Results
AnswerID: 490876

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Saturday, Jul 14, 2012 at 00:40

Saturday, Jul 14, 2012 at 00:40
Do you really have to tow over that road or do you just have an inane desire to do difficult things? There are easier was to get your van to Cooktown. Tow your van to Cooktown via the black top and drive the track solo on a day drive. That will make the drive much more pleasant and enjoyable.

The road is narrow and carries a fair amount of traffic at times. There are many who do not appreciate encountering vehicles with trailers along there. You may encounter difficulties getting past them.

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 490884

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Saturday, Jul 14, 2012 at 15:51

Saturday, Jul 14, 2012 at 15:51
My sentiments exactly Peter and i would not take a caravan for that reason alone.

"The road is narrow and carries a fair amount of traffic at times. There are many who do not appreciate encountering vehicles with trailers along there. You may encounter difficulties getting past them.

Easy to take a tent over a couple of days from Cairns and enjoy the rainforest and return via the inland road. If continuing on, it will only be a matter of hours on the duplicated journey, which is also a drive well worth taking.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 766325

Reply By: Member - Bucky - Saturday, Jul 14, 2012 at 06:05

Saturday, Jul 14, 2012 at 06:05
Hado

The Track is doable, indeed, as there were a couple of bigger vans doing it from the South end, the day we came in, from the North.

There are only a couple of tricky bits.
The bit from the Lions Den Pub to Wujal Wujal, is up and down a bit, windy and norrow, and plenty of traffick.
The day we did it, there were a lot of Tip Trucks using the road, so keep busy on UHF 40, and your speed down.

From Wujal Wujal to Cape Tribulation, it get very interesting indeed.
Steep, in spots, and in some places, fairly twisty and narrow. Just watch out for low branches. The worst, and steepest spots have been concreted, so that is a big help.
Another vehicle travelling with you on the Track would be a destinct advantage, but not 100% necessary.

We have a Trak Shak Camper Trailer, and found it relative easy., but in saying that I would tow a van thru it, as it is not that rough, just a bit slow.

Enjoy !

Cheers Bucky
AnswerID: 490889

Reply By: Member - Greg M6 - Saturday, Jul 14, 2012 at 09:25

Saturday, Jul 14, 2012 at 09:25
the bloomfied track is very steep in sections,I towed a Kimberly karavan with a 100 series cruiser and had to engage 1st gear and low range to just make it up the hills,also their are the 4wd tour buses which show no consideration for any body else and wont give you any lee way to get off the road so they can get passed.
I would NOT tow anything over that road again,even though there is great camping spots, these only take small trailers or tents.
good luck.
gregm6
AnswerID: 490906

Follow Up By: Member - Bucky - Sunday, Jul 15, 2012 at 08:41

Sunday, Jul 15, 2012 at 08:41
Eat some concrete and harden up !
FollowupID: 766387

Reply By: ombo99 - Saturday, Jul 14, 2012 at 12:11

Saturday, Jul 14, 2012 at 12:11
I've been up and down the Bloomfield track 3 or 4 times recently, I don't think you will have any trouble , it's steep at the Bloomfield end but there are no major ruts or wash outs , I would be careful after a major rain especially crossing the Bloomfield river which does come up but apart from that shouldn't be a problem . Have fun and take care .
AnswerID: 490920

Reply By: aboutfivebucks (Pilbara) - Saturday, Jul 14, 2012 at 19:57

Saturday, Jul 14, 2012 at 19:57
we drove the Bloomfield last month, it was a nice experience not seeing any caravans the whole length of the road. unlike everywhere else.

we saw plenty of good friendly behaviour from tour bus operators also.

(im certain youll navigate the track without any issues :)

AnswerID: 490954

Sponsored Links