Are Exploroz web users pessimists?

Submitted: Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 15:49
ThreadID: 9687 Views:1853 Replies:11 FollowUps:14
This Thread has been Archived
I have been watching this web site for about 3 months now. Love it, but.....
I can't help wondering if some people are missing the point of 4WD in the name of trying to be helpful.

Let me "quote" a few:
1. Don't buy 3.0 TD Patrols because they have engine management problems
2. Don't buy 120 series Prados because you can't fit wide tyres or chains.
3. Don't get a car firdge because somebody is sure to nick it
4. Don't stand still on the French Line on a Winters' day or 100 vehicles will go past
5. SUV stands for Soft (?) Utility Vehicle, no low range. Don't get one of these.
etc.

I have been 4WD for many years now. The reality is that most Australian compliant 4WD vehicles are very good , very reliable and a lot of fun. I have met 100s of 4WD enthusists over the years and only very very few have bad luck or simply bad experiences.

Australia is the best country in the world for freedom / 4WD. Anyone within Australia or from overseas contemplating a 4WD Australian Outback event can look forward to it with keen enthusiastic anticipation. They will not be disappointed. After taking a few basic sensible precautions they will have a memorable wonderful experience.

Will they get that impression scanning this forum?

Being optimistic I'll now sit back, grab on to the JC grab handle and wait for the suspension to bottom out.

Enjoy!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Michelle from ExplorOz - Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 16:47

Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 16:47
If you read anything without the full story you could make this point about everything anybody has ever written.

I have never seen a post about:
Don't get a car firdge because somebody is sure to nick it
Don't stand still on the French Line on a Winters' day or 100 vehicles will go past
SUV stands for Soft (?) Utility Vehicle, no low range. Don't get one of these

If I am incorrect and these posts do exist please post the ID numbers so that we can all read them.

Then if the question is can you fit wide tyre on a Prado then an answer of "Don't buy 120 series Prados because you can't fit wide tyres or chains" is correct in someones opionion.

Of if the question is what do people know of the 3.0TD Prado and the answer is "Don't buy 3.0 TD Patrols because they have engine management problems" this is also correct in someones opionion.

I could use these examples for anything that you have mentioned so it is very un-fair to extract small snipets of posts and say that all ExplorOz users must be pessimists. Mostly I find the people using the system to be exactly the opposite and provide informed answers. People have the ability to voice their opionion in a fairly free manner and this is what makes the information so good. The issue is that some peoples opionions and experiences may be different to yours, I for one want to know the warts and all for all aspects of our recreation.ExplorOz
AnswerID: 42681

Follow Up By: Michelle from ExplorOz - Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 17:03

Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 17:03
David actually wrote the post above, but it is really Michelle here now. I would like to add that all the points you outline about the industry are valid and are addressed on the ExplorOz site - whether that impression is supported within the Forum is a different matter.

The SITE, contains hundreds of pages, actually written and published by us such as practical articles for living on the road, identifying major equipment needs (comms, safety, recovery, parts etc) that are all carefully researched and published as a useful guide for people new to the recreation.

The Forum is a different area of the site altogether and is purely a resource for the open exchange of the wider communities ideas, opinions and experiences.

This enables a person wanting to research the industry to obtain a guide to the travel side of our recreation from us, plus back this up with some research on the views of a wide group of other people.

In all instances, NONE of the information is biased from a retailers point of view, which is a unique viewpoint. This leaves the final decision for a person to have a fair chunk of information and feedback to make up their own mind.

Basically, what I'm saying is ExplorOz is a provider of a webresource containing articles on each major area PLUS reviews/opionions of others as we do not profess to the be experts in all these things.

Have you seen the articles and other parts of the site I'm refering to? Use the menus titled "Trip Planning", "Vehicle Requirements", and "On the Road", plus take the links from Topic Search in the left margin. You will soon realise that this SITE offers a well rounded resource that adequately covers the issues you mention yet points people to the Forum for more opinion-based reviews. The viewpoints of the Forum are not published as the viewpoints of the ExplorOz Team, nor do they form the major part of what the site is about. The page stats in the left margin show the traffic to every part of the site and you will see some very healthy readership of all areas of the site, so please do not judge ExplorOz on the Forum alone.

Regards,
MichelleExplorOz
FollowupID: 305039

Reply By: Arkay - Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 17:29

Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 17:29
Yes, Michelle , I have looked at other parts of your site. I think it is the best 4WD site I have ever come accross. And I have said so on previous occasions too.

That said, the nice point (about 4WD Australia being fun, reliable and safe) I was trying to make seems to have been missed in your & Davids replies.
As a result I have emailed you direct with a more comprehensive response so as not to get into a public debate.

That email concludes by saying, "I would have absolutely no problem if you killed my message / post if you feel it to be offensive or detrimental, or contrary to the objectives of your site. It is your territory, your call"
AnswerID: 42689

Follow Up By: Michelle from ExplorOz - Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 18:24

Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 18:24
So, this wasn't a baited post? It appeared to us to be a post from a negative person wishing to discredit the site and we imagined it could even have been a magazine??

We also get our back up a bit when people comment on ExplorOz from the forum point of view only, which is simply absurd, given the wide and varied articles and advice we have provided covering all issues of product purchase and use.

I actually have no problem with your post at all, and it will remain, no need to delete it. But since you raised the point and we interpreted that it was direct at US, as the publishers, rather than the forumites as the contributers, we felt we needed to respond. Since I do NOT hold the belief that on reading ExplorOz, whether it be the articles or the forum, that a person would get a disgruntled viewpoint of travel in Australia, or of purchasing both David and I responded as we did. (As I said, David wrote the first response, using my logon. It bugs me when he does that, as we are quite different in our views, spelling and writing style. But he didn't realise at the time).

So, sounds like you were trying to raise the point to the contributers to the forum that you'd like to see a little more positive comment, rather than negative. We simply didn't read that in your post and misinterpreted you I guess. So, if that's the case, then my response is to point out that it is a sad but true fact that in general people's time is limited, and when they have something to say, and hence bother to put the time into writing a post, its going to be a complaint. There are literally thousands upon thousands of positive posts on this forum too of course, but you've highlighted some negative ones that's all. By the way, most of the fridge posts are due to the fact that Perth has had a recent spate of thefts, that is so rife its hits the nightly news and papers.

Interesting how this thread as gone full circle, just shows how careful one must be when writing - the interpretation you get may not be as the writer intended...
ExplorOz
FollowupID: 305044

Reply By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 17:53

Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 17:53
Arkay the first 5 quotes are peoples opinions only ,as your stamemt is of the first 5 quotes.

2nd part is spot on.

3rd part they can make there own minds up.

4th part I dont think JC can help you with any of the above.

All the best
Eric

www.capeyorkconnections.com.auCape York Connections
AnswerID: 42693

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 21:29

Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 21:29
Well Eric I reckon He could and would probably have a Series 1 Land Rover, that had never broken down.Laterally Literal
Seriously Cerebral
FollowupID: 305069

Follow Up By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 21:37

Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 21:37
Who JC or Arkay.Cape York Connections
FollowupID: 305072

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 21:43

Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 21:43
JC of course, who else could drive a Series 1 Landy that has never broken down!Laterally Literal
Seriously Cerebral
FollowupID: 305074

Follow Up By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 21:47

Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 21:47
Or went over 60k per hour.Cape York Connections
FollowupID: 305075

Reply By: Member - Andrew & Jen - Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 18:12

Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 18:12
When I came back from Cape York, I posted about all the things that went wrong with my 100 Series T/D Landcruiser. Things like the alternator wire breaking because the looms are a little on the short side. Things like that tend to focus our attention more that the things that go right. I am unlikely to post about the engine management system on my Landcruiser unless something goes wrong with it. By the way, the engine in my Landcruiser is fantastic!!

The other issue is with people talking about their travels - the reports that they give of their times away are fantastic. People asking for information is also exciting as we have our dreams for trips tucked away in our hearts. I reckon if you read these posts, the passion that people have for travel in our great country is easy for all to see. Why to we spend time on exploroz - coz we love travelling and four wheel driving.

AndrewMy Toy - 2001 Landcruiser 100S Turbo Diesel
"We do not stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing"
AnswerID: 42697

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff & Karen - Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 19:31

Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 19:31
So Andrew, do you still get that "Oh what a feeling" when you drive your landcruiser that had so many things go wrong with it?????????????

Ummmmmmmmm
Sorry
Karen (LOL)Kind Regards
Karen & Geoff
(Happy holidaying)
FollowupID: 305052

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff & Karen - Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 19:33

Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 19:33
Must get round to changing this photo to and put the NEW KANGA CAMPER in the photo...........................
Saving saving saving
KarenKind Regards
Karen & Geoff
(Happy holidaying)
FollowupID: 305053

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew & Jen - Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 20:57

Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 20:57
Yep - I am a pessimist. Three things went wrong and 20,000 things went right so I have lost my "Oh what a feeling" except when I come home and see the lovely Jen.

And by the way - I don't reckon you really have a Kanga Camper - or if you do - it isn't NEW anymore.

How was the gr8 ozzy retort?

AndrewMy Toy - 2001 Landcruiser 100S Turbo Diesel
"We do not stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing"
FollowupID: 305065

Reply By: Member - Russell S - Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 19:14

Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 19:14
1. I wouldn't, not because of engine management problems as much as engine failure problems. My opinion only and subject to change with more data. Plenty of Nissan owners out there that think the opposite and will tell you very quickly!
2. I may not buy one of these either, but not for that reason. I have a Prado now and am very happy with it, but I do think the new one is a bit softer. Depends what you want it to do, and for the thousands of people buying them, it's the ducks guts. Perhaps not for me though...
3. Never seen a comment like this, although someone may have talked about getting theirs nicked...
4. Hmmm
5. Again, I wouldn't, but for all those 90+ % of SUV buyers who won't venture off a road unless there's a paved driveway somewhere, they're just right. So, it's a valid comment if you're into more serious off road stuff...

It's a bit like 4WD magazines. Some, like Overlander is getting, seem to be concentrating on the SUV scene where most of the sales and interest is. Others spend more time on 'real' 4WDs, and attract a different segment of the market.

If you like Exploroz, become a member and take what you enjoy from it. If not, you might like to meet my Russian friend, Goan Buggaroffsky...... :-)Russell S
Prado RV6
AnswerID: 42703

Follow Up By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 21:36

Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 21:36
Russell we are starting all wheel drive tours the first one is a east west crossing of australia.
See overlander mag in the next few months for details.

All the best
EricCape York Connections
FollowupID: 305071

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 23:37

Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 23:37
Hey Eric,

Why not publish this in our press release system - I am sure there would be plenty on interest at ExplorOz. Maybe we could publish this a a series of articles also. Let me know if we can do something.Regards
ExplorOz Team - David
--------------------------
Always working, not enough travelling ;-)
FollowupID: 305081

Follow Up By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Tuesday, Jan 13, 2004 at 20:47

Tuesday, Jan 13, 2004 at 20:47
David tell me more. I dont know how it all works.

All the best
EricCape York Connections
FollowupID: 305168

Reply By: David N. - Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 20:21

Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 20:21
You're probably right Arkay, but.......

The nice thing about being a cynical pessimist is....

you only ever have pleasant surprises!!

Cheers
AnswerID: 42715

Reply By: bruce.h (WA) - Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 20:27

Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 20:27
i uesed to be a pessimist , but had to give it up i couldn,t see any future in it
AnswerID: 42717

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 21:41

Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 21:41
Arkay, you could get that view from reading the posts, I have seen the inference that fridges may get stolen and the like, I prefer to see these posts as warnings for us to take care, rather than be bitten twice we can rely on others experiences and take our own gauge on what needs doing to save it happening to us. We are all wont to bag each other a bit, the Nissan/Crusier debate is as alive and well as the Holden/Ford debate, and you only have to look at the post on chooks and what they are doing to our society to see how we love to "have a go". This kind of banter is characteristic, not only of the 4WD community, but of Australian society in general and is one of the many things that endears me to this forum.

The site in general has such an array of traders/track notes fuel prices, you name it, its a wealth of information and David and Michelle are to be complimented for their effort, and are justifiably "touchy" if they feel that someones hopping into them unfairly, as we all would be quick to jump to the defence of the site and kill off a bit more bandwidth in the forum.

We are all parts of what make this site and forum great, as are we part of what make Oz great, so hope to see you one day when I an the 101st vehicle on the French Line one Winter, I'll wave as I go by, and stop to help if you are in trouble, and have a yarn around a campfire with you as we all go ExplorOz. Laterally Literal
Seriously Cerebral
AnswerID: 42735

Reply By: rolande- Tuesday, Jan 13, 2004 at 14:00

Tuesday, Jan 13, 2004 at 14:00
To Arkay and All At Exploreoz,
Agree to some degree, to the team, could you go back through the posts to those who have little better to do than rubbish or "smart-arse" other's posts simply because they can, or because they think that because of their position they have some god given right to critique others. Enjoy Exploreoz greatly but when I put a post in trying to be helpful, only to get rubbished, it gets on my goat. How about a rubbish filter on replies / follow-ups? Only joking.
rolande
AnswerID: 42804

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Wednesday, Jan 14, 2004 at 22:16

Wednesday, Jan 14, 2004 at 22:16
You have a goat?Laterally Literal
Seriously Cerebral
FollowupID: 305299

Reply By: Willem - Wednesday, Jan 14, 2004 at 09:22

Wednesday, Jan 14, 2004 at 09:22
The optimist sees the doughnut and the pessimist sees the hole.

Cheers,

Willem

Always going somewhere
AnswerID: 42896

Reply By: Voxson (Adelaide) - Wednesday, Jan 14, 2004 at 20:58

Wednesday, Jan 14, 2004 at 20:58
Through this site i have gained invaluable experience.......
When i was looking for a car i knew exactly which one to go for....... I wouldnt make a decision on one or two comments but when you see umpteen comments like......

1. 3.0 Litre GU's are hand grenades.......
2. Cape York bypass has awsome corrigations.........
3. French Line is like a highway.....
4. OTL needs traffic lights.........
5. Not many under seat GQ fuel tanks make it through corrigations well......
etc etc etc etc.........

I tend to make good decisions.........

You call it pesimism but i call it knowledge........___________________________________
Simpson trip 05/04 then turn left at Birdsville to Darwin via Lawn Hill etc

Follow Up By: Voxson (Adelaide) - Wednesday, Jan 14, 2004 at 21:25

Wednesday, Jan 14, 2004 at 21:25
3. French Line has the traffic of a highway.......___________________________________
Simpson trip 05/04 then turn left at Birdsville to Darwin via Lawn Hill etc

Sponsored Links