New Caravan

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 15, 2012 at 14:04
ThreadID: 96887 Views:3302 Replies:9 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
This has possibly been around before so forgive me if running over old ground
I take possession of a new caravan on Tuesday and this one will have the full on-suite across the back and this in its self poses my question.You ladies /Gents that have the c/vans with the on suites and of course twin or multiple water tanks Do you instal a water valve between both tanks so as you have one tank for kitchen use and drinking leaving the other for the shower etc or leave them so as they both empty together I ask because my currant van only has the one tank and no on suite etc .Just trying to think ahead when free camping etc T hanks in advance Terry
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen - Sunday, Jul 15, 2012 at 14:25

Sunday, Jul 15, 2012 at 14:25
Hi Terry

Check with your manufacturer. Ours has switches to select the tanks one at a time. Which ever tank is open is used for all sources ie kitchen shower and HWS. The toilet has a separate flushing tank which is filled from the cassette access door.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 491012

Follow Up By: ozjohn0 - Sunday, Jul 15, 2012 at 15:03

Sunday, Jul 15, 2012 at 15:03
If you wish to use one tank for the kitchen and the other for the bathroom, then the van will have to be fitted with a water pump for each tank.
OJ
FollowupID: 766420

Reply By: Member - Old Girl - Sunday, Jul 15, 2012 at 14:47

Sunday, Jul 15, 2012 at 14:47
We have two tanks that feed the whole van. We can turn from front tank to the back or draw from both at the same time. It all goes through the same pump so if you wanted only drinking water for kitchen and what water is available for shower both has to go through the one pump. The switch is out side under where you fill the tanks. In the excitement on the day dont forget to turn on everything. Even the hot water. We didnt and when we went to use the shower water went where it shouldnt.
Enjoy your new van.
Sharon
AnswerID: 491014

Reply By: Member - Peter H1 (NSW) - Sunday, Jul 15, 2012 at 15:00

Sunday, Jul 15, 2012 at 15:00
I have installed two separate tanks 1 for kitchen 170l & 1 for shower / washing machine 170l with two pumps. I can refill one from river etc if needed.
Grey water tank 170l.

PeterH
AnswerID: 491015

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Sunday, Jul 15, 2012 at 16:18

Sunday, Jul 15, 2012 at 16:18
As above.......our van has 3 tanks and came with a manifold of taps under the sink (in the pump's supply line) - we can draw from any one tank, or a combo, as required. It seems that you can reasonably expect the same - it's the only economic and practical way to plumb the setup.
AnswerID: 491019

Reply By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Sunday, Jul 15, 2012 at 17:11

Sunday, Jul 15, 2012 at 17:11
Same here Terry G,
We have 2 tanks with a control valve on each fitted externally but near the pump in our case. We just draw from one tank at a time then swap the valves over for next tank supply.

As advised above by Ozjohno you will need 2 pumps if you wish to seperate completely.

Seperate tanks for seperate tasks is a good idea if you wish to top up your shower tank from a stream you are camped beside or a creek crossing etc.
This isolates your drinking supply from possible contamination. I assume this is what has prompted your question.

If only topping up from town water supplies etc then not much point in going to the trouble of seperating supplies, I would think.

Cheers, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 491023

Reply By: Member - Wamuranman - Sunday, Jul 15, 2012 at 18:36

Sunday, Jul 15, 2012 at 18:36
WE have just taken delivery of our new van are currently on our first trip.
We are so glad we had 2 tanks fitted , with separate fillers, separate plumbing and separate pumps. The non-potable tank will always run out first. Many places you go such as free camping sites (such as where we are tonight (Qld #221) has only non potable water available. If necessary you can pump creek water etc into your non potable tank. WE can go for over 2 weeks on our potable tank...just use for drinking and cooking etc. But the non potable tank will only last 3 days approx. But there are plenty of places to fill up with non potable.
Definitely get 2 tanks and keep it all separated ... it will be a real benefit when free camping. Our kitchen sink has two taps...i potable (drinking, cooking with), the other for washing up etc (non potable)
I did not realise when ordering the van how significant this choice was.
AnswerID: 491035

Follow Up By: LIFE MEMBER-snailbait - Sunday, Jul 15, 2012 at 21:04

Sunday, Jul 15, 2012 at 21:04
hi
WOW I would like that
Terry
Life MEMBER snailbait Oberon HF RADIO CLUB VKE237 mobile 7661

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 766456

Reply By: Member - Terry. G (TAS) - Sunday, Jul 15, 2012 at 19:32

Sunday, Jul 15, 2012 at 19:32
Thank you all for your replies to my question and to be honest has really given me more food for thought, yes I guess the main reason for the questions is for when we do our free camping.And to be honest I was still thinking on the lines of potable water in both tanks and never thought of non -potable water going into the other tank at some stage for showers ect but of course this stands to reason (goes to show I never knew as much as I thought I did ).I am not sure of what the plumbing set up is as far as the water tanks in the new van is but will have to check I thank you all for your help and answers so far and am still open for more advice and suggestions as this is a new page in caravaning to me and as I said still a lot to learn
Thanks Terry
AnswerID: 491039

Reply By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Sunday, Jul 15, 2012 at 20:14

Sunday, Jul 15, 2012 at 20:14
Hi Terry. I have two 90 litre tanks that are plumbed independantly to enable filling or draining. I have converted them so they are filled with mains pressure but go through a two stage filtration system that I have fitted up under the front of the van. The filter works in the horizontal position. I also have a drinking tap filter fitted under the sink through a separate tap. By doing this all water is filtered into the tanks and drinking water is refiltered into the jug or a glass. It has worked well so far but you do need a small 12v pump if you want to fill with creek or river water. I use a bucket and a small marine bilge pump. Cheers,Bob

Image Could Not Be Found

AnswerID: 491044

Follow Up By: Geoff in SA - Monday, Jul 16, 2012 at 08:18

Monday, Jul 16, 2012 at 08:18
Hi all

The idea of having a separate tank just for drinking water is really a lot of work and expense.
And even with all the filters and time etc there is still a possibility of some form of contamination.

We did a lot of camper trailer camping in the past and used to use the one tank for all.

It only took one bouts of campers belly to decide that was not a good idea.
So what we do now is carry 10 Lit boxs of water for drinking and cooking.
Let me say the cost of a box of water $3 to $5 a box is well worth it.
I think its good insurance.
and yes you may say its extra water to carry.
Beats the hell outs having to look for the dunny roll and the bush or whatever.

3 boxs of water is 30 lits more than enough for a week or two away.
If you need more buy several.

remember a std water tank holds 90 odd lits and it is used for washing, showering etc. and it will last a while and can be filled from anywhere.

Oh yes Terry, your original question was taps to isolate the tanks.
Best idea yet.
Each tank is separate and you always know just how much water you have left.
Put the water level gauge on the last tank to be used.
And have separate breathers on each tank.
.Don't series up fillers of breathers.
Hydrology 101 and water doesn't run up hill and air will not bleed from an empty tank via a full tank to the outside world.

Geoff

FollowupID: 766480

Reply By: Geoff in SA - Monday, Jul 16, 2012 at 08:22

Monday, Jul 16, 2012 at 08:22
Just reread the posts and agree with DArian
I have since re-plumbed the tanks to have a manifold and 3 separate valves.

Van manufacturers have no idea and will not listen
Best advise will come from forums like this

Geoff
AnswerID: 491064

Sponsored Links