CSR Track file for OziExplorer

Submitted: Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 16:34
ThreadID: 9690 Views:1785 Replies:3 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Does anyone have a recent track file (*.trk) for OziExplorer, that covers the whole length of the Canning Stock Route, Wiluna - Halls Creek, and is prepared to send me a copy.

Thank youKing Edward River, Mitchell Plateau
VKS-737, ch 2, sel. 2131
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member -Bob & Lex (Sydney) - Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 17:36

Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 17:36
George , look in the trip planning/treck notes as David & Michelle just did the CSR & should have a .trk file , if not there email them from feedback link at bottom of page.Regards Bob
Where to next
AnswerID: 42690

Follow Up By: Member - George (WA) - Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 17:45

Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 17:45
Bob & Lex, allready tried that, their, David & Michelle, trip was on assignment for Hema Maps and all track details are copyright to Hema Maps.King Edward River, Mitchell Plateau
VKS-737, ch 2, sel. 2131
FollowupID: 305042

Follow Up By: Member -Bob & Lex (Sydney) - Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 18:56

Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 18:56
What a buggerRegards Bob
Where to next
FollowupID: 305047

Follow Up By: Glenn from Australian RV Trailers - Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 19:27

Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 19:27
Why not ask Kema what their publication plans are, and the price.
They wouldn't have wanted copyright for nothing.
Might well be reasonable, you never know
(no association with Hema Maps)
rgds

Australian RV Trailers
FollowupID: 305049

Follow Up By: Member - Doug - Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 20:41

Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 20:41
Just for the record, the reply from Glenn above was authored by me, Doug Roberts, who's helping Glenn with advertising on Exploroz. (an unrelated issue)
I took it as face value from George's followup that Hema had copyright of track files.

However, I would like David Martin of Exploroz to explain this fact in the light of his newsletter of 7.11.2003 which said . . . .
"I have spent this week starting work on a new feature of ExplorOz.com. It is called PointPlace - The Ultimate GPS Route, Point and Plot database.
As you can tell from the name and description it is all about digital GPS positions. We have extensively used all forms of digital mapping available in Australia and we have concluded that the majority of data available is excellent for the city and very poor in the bush. To solve the problem and to make it even easier to use digital navigation and mapping, we at ExplorOz we have decided to build a database of GPS waypoints for everything in the outback. We want this up loadable, searchable & downloadable database to contain all of Australia's unique points of interest, routes files and track plots.
I am looking for members who can assist me in the product development and testing phases. I do not want to build the product to completion only to find that I have missed or forgotten something. I expect that the remainder of development will take several weeks to months however I would like some input and testing of the components as they are built.
The system is currently at the upload and index points stage.
" end of quote from newsletter

Now, David, were you contracted to Hema then?
I understand that you were referring to software product development, but nothing was said about data like track files.

Please don't take this as a challenge, I think there may be some misunderstanding here about access to the data, and would apprecaite your comments.

rgds
Doug

The Welshmun & The Witch
setting off in 2004 for 2+ years
in '93 Series 80 & Dream Camper
FollowupID: 305064

Follow Up By: Michelle from ExplorOz - Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 22:37

Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 22:37
Time for some clarification here - Point Place is indeed being developed to enable the exchange of .wpt .plt files etc. The only file that we personally own that we cannot make available to the public is OUR July/Aug 2003 CSR file. This is because we agreed at the time of recording to do this on contract for Hema. This is NOT to say, that anyone else's or our future CSR plot files would not be available via Point Place. All plot files other than that recorded by our vehicle on said date for any place Australia-wide will be able to be entered into Point Place and distributed to the public via the mechanisms we are currently developing.

Hope that is clearer to you all now.ExplorOz
FollowupID: 305078

Reply By: Member - George (WA) - Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 22:32

Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 22:32
Just for the record, and so that details remain accurate, I have copied my original question and David's answer below.
However, let's not let this issue get bogged down in technicalities.

My question:

"David & Michelle, Exploroz. Is it possible to get a plt. file of your last Canning Stock Route trip. For OziExplorer.
Cheers"

David's answer

" Not just at the moment - The plot we recorded on the trip was paid for by Hema and as a copyright holder of the plot file we do not have the ability to distribute the entire file. I did make a cut down extracted version that we are using in the iMapPlot dynamic online mapping product that you can see in the Canning Stock Route trek note. Also If you are interested you can have a look at PlottoMap a new product and tool that I am build here. You can take any OziExplorer Plot (.plt) or Point (.pnt) file and produce a georeferenced digital map (you can zoom in/out and pan around the map). In the next few weeks I expect to be able to produce the map at size and include the ability to download and install the map and .map file directly into OziExplorer. In this way you will be able to get a full georeferenced map of anywhere you like on the fly directly from the ExplorOz database (or build your own). We are also enabling the database to allow for sharing of plot & waypoint files. You can also load wpt files using the links in the lower lhs of the point place screen (this is how I produce the dynamic trek mud maps that are appearing - check French Line Simpson Desert and most of Western Deserts treks)."

I am still waiting to hear from anyone that may have a recent track file and would not mind sending me a copy

Cheers
George

King Edward River, Mitchell Plateau
VKS-737, ch 2, sel. 2131
AnswerID: 42744

Reply By: Jimbo (WA) - Tuesday, Jan 13, 2004 at 01:07

Tuesday, Jan 13, 2004 at 01:07
George,

I have waypoints plotted whilst on the CSR in 2002 that I could send you - but no .trk files as my GPS memory isn't big enough to hold the whole thing. I'm looking at getting either a laptop or datalogger for this purpose - but that doesn't help you now, does it!Cheers, Jim

"Lead, Follow.....or get out of the way!!"
AnswerID: 42760

Follow Up By: Member - George (WA) - Tuesday, Jan 13, 2004 at 11:52

Tuesday, Jan 13, 2004 at 11:52
Jim,
Thanks for you Waypoints offer.
I already have waypoints for the CSR and would prefer a complete, recent, track file.
Cheers
GeorgeKing Edward River, Mitchell Plateau
VKS-737, ch 2, sel. 2131
FollowupID: 305111

Sponsored Links