How long to drive Birdsville to Marree

Submitted: Monday, Jul 16, 2012 at 09:33
ThreadID: 96903 Views:2616 Replies:4 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
We do not have a lot of time to get from Birdsville down to Mt Freeling in the northern reaches of the Flinders ranges. Please do not ask why and just accept it as a fact. Driving a Toyota 100 series 4.2 TD with excellent suspension not towing.

Can anyone give me an idea of how the Birdsville Track is at the moment and how long to get from Birdsville to Marree? And if known then on to Mt Freeling just up the Strezleckie Track.

I know the way but am not familiar with the area and the road conditions. We would prefer not to have to stop. But cest la vie. This is not a sight seeing part of the trip. Not enough time.

We will be at Birdsville about the 20th August. Yes I understand that conditions may change as they would anywhere. I am trying to arrange a meeting for a couple of days up in the North Flinders with one of our sons and his family who we have not seen for quite a while.

Thanks anyone. With luck, I will be talking to Scott at Mt Freeling today and hopefully getting some timing ideas from him.

Three weeks less 3 hours to departure.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, Jul 16, 2012 at 09:59

Monday, Jul 16, 2012 at 09:59
Phil,

I reckon you'd do that in less than 8 hours, especially if you weren't stopping to "smell the roses".

Last year we went from Claytons, with late start (9.30am) to Birdsville, arriving about 4pm. Stopped for lunch, and numerous kodak moments, so weren't in a hurry.

Don't think you'd need to worry about the road too much, it's getting better every year.

Safe trip,

Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 491071

Follow Up By: PJR (NSW) - Monday, Jul 16, 2012 at 10:16

Monday, Jul 16, 2012 at 10:16
Thanks Bob

Shame about the rush but that is "my lot". If it's anyhting like the GRR they will have traffic lights and pedestrian crossings soon.

I got a couple of emails that suggested an overnight stop at Mungerannie that would leave a comfortable drive to Mt Freeling the next day. Let's see what the thread brings before we put the plan to bed. Nothing like currect reports.

Cheers mate
FollowupID: 766490

Reply By: The Landy - Monday, Jul 16, 2012 at 10:13

Monday, Jul 16, 2012 at 10:13
Roughly 7 to 9 hours, depends how you drive.

AnswerID: 491072

Follow Up By: PJR (NSW) - Monday, Jul 16, 2012 at 10:23

Monday, Jul 16, 2012 at 10:23
Thanks and no longer in the Kingswood on the old Hume before speed limits in the bush and therefore so much more like Ia respectable (went to church last week) mature (out of nappies at last) adult (questionable) should drive. Okay!!!

Cheers
FollowupID: 766492

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Monday, Jul 16, 2012 at 11:06

Monday, Jul 16, 2012 at 11:06
Towing a caravan and being pressed for time we did it two days and that was smelling the roses as we went, in saying that without the van could have done it in about 9 hours, the road was that good.
Broodie H3
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 766496

Follow Up By: PJR (NSW) - Monday, Jul 16, 2012 at 11:11

Monday, Jul 16, 2012 at 11:11
Thanks Broodie

Sounds jsut like the GRR. No big hassle. But we will see what the weather brings.
FollowupID: 766497

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Monday, Jul 16, 2012 at 11:46

Monday, Jul 16, 2012 at 11:46
Yeah, the SA authorities now appear to be much quicker at closing roads to protect them after rain. Locals were saying 5-10mm was enough.

We did the Tk a few weeks ago and there were long stretches of ruts that kept the speed down and the adrenaline high. I expect they would've been graded out by now but who knows.
FollowupID: 766498

Follow Up By: PJR (NSW) - Monday, Jul 16, 2012 at 12:30

Monday, Jul 16, 2012 at 12:30
Sigmnd

I don't mind the corrugations, washouts and dust bowls but am not keen on the railway and tram track following habits of the car on those "long" rutted roads. But it's all part of it.

Thnaks
FollowupID: 766500

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Monday, Jul 16, 2012 at 12:45

Monday, Jul 16, 2012 at 12:45
Yeah, we cope with what's served up.

I know you'll be hoofing it but if you need a refreshing dip the bore spa at Clayton or is it Clifton springs south of Mungerannie is well worth it.

And Mungerannie serves a good no-BS counter meal; simple, freshly cooked, good value.

Crikey we laughed at the Innamincka pub restaurant. We both ordered the '180g lamb T-bone', wondering what the hell it was.

Just a big loin chop!

But it's all fun out there and beats the hell out of a day at the office. Just ask Burke ;-)
FollowupID: 766502

Follow Up By: PJR (NSW) - Monday, Jul 16, 2012 at 12:59

Monday, Jul 16, 2012 at 12:59
Thanks for the word on the counter meal. If we do an overnight stop it will most likely be at Mungerannie. Not into spas and so on. I am happy with a hot shower from the car's heat converter.

Hated our meals meal at Birdsville and Innamincka myself. I am not keen on foreign food. I prefer the traditional Aussie stuff. So we don't eat at either the Birdsville or Innamincka pubs. Don't like how the cooks get in with their bare hands and pretty it up or, as they say, "plate it". But that's me.
FollowupID: 766503

Follow Up By: The Landy - Monday, Jul 16, 2012 at 13:45

Monday, Jul 16, 2012 at 13:45
"Thanks and no longer in the Kingswood on the old Hume before speed limits in the bush and therefore so much more like Ia respectable (went to church last week) mature (out of nappies at last) adult (questionable) should drive. Okay!!!

Cheers"

PJR

Your an odd character, I take the time to respond to you're question having doe it a few times, and you respond like that, you're a waste of time mate...
FollowupID: 766505

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Monday, Jul 16, 2012 at 13:49

Monday, Jul 16, 2012 at 13:49
Well you did say 'depends how you drive' and he responded to that implicit question.
FollowupID: 766506

Follow Up By: PJR (NSW) - Monday, Jul 16, 2012 at 14:24

Monday, Jul 16, 2012 at 14:24
Landy

Please I was having a joke.

Saying firstly thanks for the information and then that I wont race and expect to do it in the time you say.

I would call that being civil.

What do you want? Just a plain old "Thanks"? That's what they do with texting. No feeling and thoughtless.

Sorry if I offended you and you can leave me off your Christmas list by all means.

I have an incurable cancer and that is one of the ways I handle it.
FollowupID: 766507

Reply By: PJR (NSW) - Monday, Jul 16, 2012 at 15:17

Monday, Jul 16, 2012 at 15:17
People

I thank you all for your input.

From these posts, a good chat with Scott at Mt Freeling and the emails, we now have a plan. Hopefully my son and his family will be able to meet us.

Unfortunately I have housework to do so must put the plans. After all if I don't do it my wife will quit work and then I cannot say that "I am a keep man and in the style to which I am accustomed to". You want what!!! Yeah. Dream on Phil.

Have a good day and thanks again
AnswerID: 491083

Reply By: denisB - Monday, Jul 16, 2012 at 20:53

Monday, Jul 16, 2012 at 20:53
G'Day PGR
You'll have no problem with the road conditions on either track. We did both of them in May found the surface a bit tough in places. Took 5.5 days on each leg, and another 5.5 days between Innaminka and Birdsville, but then we were on Bicycles, so in a car you should be OK.
AnswerID: 491106

Follow Up By: PJR (NSW) - Monday, Jul 16, 2012 at 21:55

Monday, Jul 16, 2012 at 21:55
Hi Denis

Please excuse me but I am sitting here killing myself. Five and a half days. That's a bloody slow drive i am thinking. Then I get to the words "but then we were on Bicycles". That just made my night mate.

But seriously thanks for the info. We are going to stop at Mungerannie giving us two reasonable legs.
FollowupID: 766542

Sponsored Links