Where is the Birdwatching Hut in the Mt Fitton/Freeling area

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 17, 2012 at 10:01
ThreadID: 96925 Views:1700 Replies:1 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Along the lines of my last thread we will be in the northern reaches of the Flinders Rangers soon. In my planning I have been told to check out a bird watching hut on the top of a whopper of a hill. I believe Scott at Mt freeling can show me where on a map when we get to Mt Freeling Station.

However I would like to know at this stage where it is so that I can see how big my list of "must do's" in the area is. Will I need more days etc. It has rather a large impact on the rather limited schedule.

Anyone got a grid reference or anything please? I use Oziexplorer to plot tracks and waypoints for the trip.

Ta much.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: tuck - Tuesday, Jul 17, 2012 at 12:01

Tuesday, Jul 17, 2012 at 12:01
I believe the sight your referring to is for sighting yellow footed wallabies not so much birds.Location about 3/4 hr east of Mt Fitton ruins
AnswerID: 491133

Follow Up By: PJR (NSW) - Tuesday, Jul 17, 2012 at 12:12

Tuesday, Jul 17, 2012 at 12:12
Hi Tuck

This is what I have so far:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
You will first spot the hut atop the mountain, as you cross the creek-bed: carry on across the creek and, after several hundred yards, turn up to the right: its a long climb to the top before you regain sight of the hut.

Its a steep ziz-zag up a very faint set of tyre-marks on rocky ground (follow the slightly shinier rocks) and don't drive past the dunnee! (It must be close to 1000 feet to the creekbed below

Going back down is even more fun......
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Is this the same place?
FollowupID: 766572

Follow Up By: tuck - Tuesday, Jul 17, 2012 at 13:26

Tuesday, Jul 17, 2012 at 13:26
Yes However as I said to my knowledge is to do research on wallabies
Also is better to stay in creek and be quiet-numbers were down up to a couple of years ago due to drought and. Goats not sure of numbers current as haven't passed for couple yrs
FollowupID: 766580

Sponsored Links