Attention All Simpson Desert Lovers

Hi All

Over the years of travelling the Simpson Desert, we have met some truly great people, some of whom I still have contact with to this very day.

One such person that we have met twice, the first time back in 1994 when he was preparing for a Camel Trek across the Simpson, retracing Ted Colson's May 1936 first successful complete double crossing of the Simpson Desert by a European, is Denis Bartell. Denis is a legend in his own right and would have to be the modern day "King of the Simpson"

Over the weekend I received an out of the blue email from Denis, who has been looking over this great site and has been looking at a couple of my Simpson Desert Blogs.

Denis has just released a new book, and for any person that loves the Desert and the Outback, it is a must buy book including a DVD.

Here is the link below to Denis Bartell's website, and follow the link to the book called Desert Walker:

Desert Walker by Denis Bartell

I have ordered my copy and can not wait for it to arrive.

I have tried to contact the EO Office all morning to see if they can get the book to sell here on EO, as I think it will be a great hit.

Cheers to All Simpson Desert Lovers.

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: member - mazcan - Tuesday, Jul 17, 2012 at 12:59

Tuesday, Jul 17, 2012 at 12:59
hi stephen l
thanks for the info that should be a very interesting read
i wonder is denis the person who made the --bartell swags -- or had an input into them
cheers
barry
AnswerID: 491135

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Jul 17, 2012 at 13:18

Tuesday, Jul 17, 2012 at 13:18
Hi Barry

You are spot on the money and Denis told me how and why he invented the "DB" enclosed Swag.

On one of his Simpson Desert trips, Denis was camped at Purnie Bore and went to have a early morning wash, returning to see a large Brown Snake slither into his swag, that only minutes before he was sleeping in.

This then put ideas into his head of how he could develop a swag that he could sleep safely in, without any unwanted visitors. The Idea was taken up by nearly all the major swag makers, and Denis received not one cent in royalties.

I asked him why he did not pursue it and said he was just happy to see his idea and concept put into great use.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 766579

Reply By: teza - Wednesday, Jul 18, 2012 at 19:24

Wednesday, Jul 18, 2012 at 19:24
Hi Stephen

Thanks for the link and information. I have ordered the book.
Another book that I really enjoyed, concerning early oil exploration in the Simpson was,
Doodlebugger by Bill Young. A self published book it may be hard to find. The inside cover gives a book order phone number 07 4950 3259. I would be more than happy to loan my copy if you had trouble finding one.

As I am no longer a member I am unable to send MM

No affiliation etc, just a happy reader

Cheers Teza
AnswerID: 491214

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, Jul 18, 2012 at 19:41

Wednesday, Jul 18, 2012 at 19:41
Hi Teza

Thank you very much for that very kind offer.

I have spent many an hour doing research into all the oil exploration that took place in the Simpson Desert and in doing so, made direct contact with a number of men that were involved in the very first works that were carried out in the early 1960's. One such person now live very close to me in the mid north and he has loaned me his many images of the early work that took place in a then untouched wilderness.

I will see how I go and again, thanks for the offer.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 766679

Reply By: ExplorOz - Thursday, Jul 19, 2012 at 13:19

Thursday, Jul 19, 2012 at 13:19
Thanks Stephen,
Adele has now received the msg you left on the machine - she has been off sick all week. She'll look into it. Thanks for your suggestion.

Michelle

ExplorOz

Business Member
My Profile  My Blog

AnswerID: 491238

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Jul 19, 2012 at 20:30

Thursday, Jul 19, 2012 at 20:30
Hi Michelle

Thanks for that. It would be a great book that you could link to a number of frequently asked questions on the Simpson and other Outback associated areas.

ps

The August trip looked like we were not going to be granted, but after a 3 very long months and a very drawn out sage, we now have the green light, so lets hope that the weather is now in our favour.

I will get back in contact with you after the trip re the new Trek file and story.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 766747

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - Friday, Jul 20, 2012 at 12:05

Friday, Jul 20, 2012 at 12:05
Thx for the update - enjoy the trip then!
ExplorOz

Business Member
My Profile  My Blog

FollowupID: 766769

Sponsored Links