emergency arial for a Codan NGT AR voice with a 9350 auto tune antenna

Having read the VKS 737 article about radios I'm interested in carrying an emergency antenna as mentioned on page 3 of the Autumn/Winter magazine. If it is clobbered by a branch or - heaven forbid we roll - the antenna would suffer dramatically. The agent (from whom I bought the set!) didn't know if it would acknowledge another arial, and of course hasn't got back to me.
It is mounted behind the cab - see my pic on the Coopers Creek ferry!

ideas please!

many thanks
Markthemilko
Happy 4WDriving
Mark

VKS 737 mobile 0401

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Joe n Mel n kids (FNQ - Wednesday, Jul 18, 2012 at 23:05

Wednesday, Jul 18, 2012 at 23:05
hate me but ....... buy a sat phone, yes if you roll you will break the antenna, you may also lose the battery power and not be able to get at the set at all, i like the radio and it has it's place but if you plan on remote travels then invest in a sat phone, you can link up with all the stuff on the HF and only use the sat phone when needed, they all have there place..
Cheers
Joe
AnswerID: 491223

Follow Up By: PJR (NSW) - Thursday, Jul 19, 2012 at 09:11

Thursday, Jul 19, 2012 at 09:11
Agree with Joe. I have lots of high powered mobile HF capability at home but haven't bothered putting it in the car. We purchased a satellite phone.

HF can be useful if someone nearby can help. Very true. And both modes have different issues and problems. However in our opinion, the satellite phone has the advantage in an emergency. And that is what we got it for. Not for chit chat. Not for emails or sms. And definitely not for ordering Pizzas. Sure it has those capabilities but we are niot interested in any of them.
Anything at home can wait until we get back.

It is purely for emergency to be able to reliably and clearly in a proper full duplex mode, talk to the actual medical team on how best to provide the proper first aid while they either come out and get us or we drive in. A means that any passer by can help with (simple how to call info is on the phone). One that is private and quiet to be able to calm the caller down easily to ease the situation.

You cannot do this as well on simplex HF radio. And I say this after working with HF since 1970 both professionally and as a serious hobby.
FollowupID: 766697

Reply By: Member - nick b - Thursday, Jul 19, 2012 at 08:19

Thursday, Jul 19, 2012 at 08:19
Markthemilko : I'm sure you can use a wire hung between trees etc , if i remember correctly from my days in the N.T , some people would have them in a box in the boot for emergency etc ....

cheers nick
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 491228

Follow Up By: Grumblebum and the Dragon - Thursday, Jul 19, 2012 at 08:37

Thursday, Jul 19, 2012 at 08:37
Not sure about the auto tuning antenna but a 'tuned' (to 8022 Khz) - length of wire from the base of my whip antenna (much more robust than a auto jobbies) works well. I have a sat phone as well after I realised that the tax I paid the government over many years would now get me a sat phone for just $123.75 (80% subsidy) as I live outside a mobile area. The best of both worlds
john
FollowupID: 766695

Follow Up By: steamfire01 - Thursday, Jul 19, 2012 at 23:27

Thursday, Jul 19, 2012 at 23:27
Hi Grumblebum, regards to the Dragon
Is it possible to get the subsidy or a part of it if you are travelling around? We do spend a lot of time out of phone range in the top of Qld and in the NT and WA. Any info appreciated.
Regards
TJ and the Cook
FollowupID: 766753

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Thursday, Jul 19, 2012 at 10:34

Thursday, Jul 19, 2012 at 10:34
I'll send your post to the article's author - he might have time to get in touch.

Far as I know, you can expect to get to the back of all HF radios, no matter how 'modern-fangled' and attach a wire to the actual antenna outlet point (while satisfying safety and technical issues of course). If the wire length is adjusted for the frequency in use, you have a good starting point for the exercise.

As for the instances of possible serious vehicle damage / personal injury mentioned above - an EPIRB may be the best device for that situation. I'm not sure where the 'provisioning for emergencies' list stops :-o)....... a parachute may be indicated for when we drive over a cliff.

As for comment above on Satphones -v- HF.... anyone trying to decide may find the following worthwhile..... the Satphones TAB at vks737.on.net, plus the EOz HF and Satphones pages here (Articles).

AnswerID: 491232

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Thursday, Jul 19, 2012 at 14:29

Thursday, Jul 19, 2012 at 14:29
Darian, a PLB (EPIRB) has it's place too but the Satphone allows for medical advice whilst waiting for the cavalry to arrive.

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 766719

Follow Up By: PJR (NSW) - Thursday, Jul 19, 2012 at 14:40

Thursday, Jul 19, 2012 at 14:40
That satellite information at VKS737 needs to be updated.

Who gives a rats about cost when the blood is pouring out. And if cost is an issue then why don't they (VKS) mention the subsidy and the fact that the emergency staff will call you back if you are running out of funds.

Sounds a bit biassed myself. What good is the community down the road when the leg is hanging off.

If you want a social network then stick to Twitter or Facebook and don't get out of range.

That will fire them up.
FollowupID: 766720

Follow Up By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Thursday, Jul 19, 2012 at 16:35

Thursday, Jul 19, 2012 at 16:35
No it won't.
FollowupID: 766728

Follow Up By: PJR (NSW) - Thursday, Jul 19, 2012 at 16:50

Thursday, Jul 19, 2012 at 16:50
I am so used to being picked. Especially when comparing 4WD HF and Satellite phone features.

Cheers
FollowupID: 766730

Reply By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Thursday, Jul 19, 2012 at 16:54

Thursday, Jul 19, 2012 at 16:54
Have a look at this thread and also the other thread mentioned in it
Emergency Aerial for Barrett HF
AnswerID: 491247

Reply By: blue one - Thursday, Jul 19, 2012 at 19:25

Thursday, Jul 19, 2012 at 19:25
Mark,
I have the same set up as you though the 9350 is mounted so the top is just below the roof rack. No damage as the rack shields the body of the aerial.

The wire whip I got from a mob in SA has copped flogging with hitting branches etc.

I just bend it back into place and all is well. On the odd times I have snapped it off just pulled out the stem and put the whip back in.

I did replace the whip twice to maintain the length.

The NGT has not let me down to date with this configuration.

I also carry a PLB for when it really gets nasty.

Cheers
AnswerID: 491255

Reply By: Member - Markthemilko - Thursday, Jul 19, 2012 at 20:56

Thursday, Jul 19, 2012 at 20:56
Many thanks for all your responses - much appreciated.
We have a PLB. Joe, a Sat phone seems a very good option over a broken aerial, especially as we travel solo in remote country. Thanks.
Thanks Darian for sending my post to the VKS author, and to Rod for the link to Barrett.
And thanks to Blue one - moving the arial makes good sense as we're going to the Cape next month. Having seen a video on the Cape I have to move the aerial!

Cheers
Mark
Happy 4WDriving
Mark

VKS 737 mobile 0401

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 491261

Reply By: Geoff in SA - Friday, Jul 20, 2012 at 07:59

Friday, Jul 20, 2012 at 07:59
Hi all
Its good to watch the banter on here when Sat phones V EPRB v HF happen

its a bit like fords and holdens

for me HF and an EPRB will be all I would need. And a bloody good well stocked first aid kit

As for medical help, if you intend to head into the back blocks I would suggest both the driver and crew attend an advanced first aid course.
Would be a far better investment than the sat phone.

Do not get me wrong they do as others say have their place.
BUT the are also not 100% reliable and do rely on the sat being up there and working and the weather and the sun gods being kind.

Regards

Geoff
AnswerID: 491278

Reply By: Aussie Noel - Friday, Jul 20, 2012 at 09:03

Friday, Jul 20, 2012 at 09:03
Hi Mark The long wire works just as good as top of the range aerial so long as you have it cut to the exact length. Quite often with our truck parked in the shed I attach the wire to the spring base of the aerial and throw it out side of the shed and can speak to Charters Towers from Lake Cargelligo. As for Sat. phones we travelled with a friend who had one and he spent more than an hour walking round trying to find a location for service as the satelite is so close to the horizon, not forgetting the 2 way charges for sat. calls. We normally listen into the skeds and this lets you know if there's any bad weather approaching and can be a laugh as well. Regards Aussie Noel
AnswerID: 491289

Reply By: Member - Markthemilko - Friday, Jul 20, 2012 at 22:00

Friday, Jul 20, 2012 at 22:00
Thanks Geoff . I attended a St Johns 2 day First Aid course a year ago, and have a St Js' 4WD First aid kit, which as you say everyone should have and even if they can't use it at least someone else can!
And thanks Noel for that tip about running a wire to a tree from a vehicle in the shed - that'll save me from moving the vehicle when I want to test the radio!
regards
Mark
Happy 4WDriving
Mark

VKS 737 mobile 0401

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 491337

Sponsored Links