Sleeping with a Teacher-Cape York Campsites

Because I married a teacher we must travel to the Cape in September during school holidays. Can any recent visitors to the Cape tell me how difficult is finding camp sites especially in regards to the pre-booking system in the National Parks. We prefer to travel on a more relaxed basis without having to reach a certain site by a certain time and do not look forward to this further restriction on our leisure time. We will be going up via the OTT and meandering back down with lots of side trips.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Stretchlizard2 - Thursday, Jul 19, 2012 at 18:56

Thursday, Jul 19, 2012 at 18:56
Hi H&H
Having recently been there, I can tell you that without prebooked sites, do not expect to stay anywhere in the National Parks. Limited resource V too many people.
Bite the bullet, plan an itinerary and book.
Cheers Stretchlizard
AnswerID: 491252

Reply By: Cruisevessel - Thursday, Jul 19, 2012 at 20:22

Thursday, Jul 19, 2012 at 20:22
G'day Harry.

We have just returned from Cape York spending all of June up there. We didn't stay in any QPWS parks as it was just too difficult to work out where we were going to be at anytime. If we liked somewhere we were staying we would just stay longer.You cant do that when you pre-book.

We stayed at Lions Den, Cooktown, Elim Beach at Eddies Camp north of Cooktown, Musgrave Roadhouse, Weipa Campground, Dulhunty River and Nolan Brook on the Telegraph Track and Loyalty Beach at Seisa on the way up.
On the way back we stayed at Vyrila Point, Bramwell Station, Musgrave Roadhouse again and then camped in the Palmer River at Maytown travelling thru the Old Coach Road.

We stopped for lunch at the Hann River Crossing on the way up and found this camp area very busy and hearing UHF banter of complaints about people set up on other peoples sites that they had booked and paid for.
This system might work in the big smoke but it clearly wasn't working up the Cape.
AnswerID: 491258

Reply By: R.J.W. - Friday, Jul 20, 2012 at 12:07

Friday, Jul 20, 2012 at 12:07
Just returned from the Cape in July school holidays and pre booked Kalpower and Twin Falls before I left. The Qld NPWS booking system is not very user friendly and is inacurate. It would not let me book a site at Kalpower as it said trailers were unable to get there. You had to tick the tent only box to proceed with the booking even though there is a boat ramp there.(You can book on the day near Kalpower if you have a Telstra phone) Most sites are set up for tents only with bolards everywhere so people with roof tops or campers were parked on the road. Twin Falls was supposedly booked out but we stayed there 2 nights and only about half the spots were taken with very little Ranger presence. Chilli Beach had a Ranger present as toilet construction was happening. There are lots of other great spots on the Tele track that are not controlled but without facilities except Cockatoo which now has a Shelter and toilet. Pre book if you can Chilli and Twin Falls and just cruise the rest of the time.
Cheers Rob
AnswerID: 491298

Reply By: harry & the hobbit - Friday, Jul 20, 2012 at 12:11

Friday, Jul 20, 2012 at 12:11
Thanks for your response everyone. I think we will wing it and as we are tenting I feel we should find somewhere
AnswerID: 491299

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (13)