Mean Mother winches

offering from TJM, anyone vouch for how they stack up against the equivalent warn or TJM

Have a Warn magnum 9000lb @ $930
or TJM 9000lb @ $885
or Mean Mother 9500lb @ $900

In the scheme of things my vehicle being 2.7t and going on x1.5 I should be looking at a max load of 4050kg, and a rolling weight would be less, so 9000lb should be plenty.

Never heard of mean mother, n with $45 diference tween TJM n Warn, its a bit of a toss up......

unless you know different?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ron173 - Thursday, Jul 19, 2012 at 15:37

Thursday, Jul 19, 2012 at 15:37
The mean mother is Aussie made parent company Hague,
Just on the amps alone its drawing 350A with 4300kg on it

The warn is drawing 559A with 4000kg on it....

That along with 3yr limited warranty kinda has me thinking MM

When the guys at ARB continually emphasised that the Warn 9000 magnum is an occasional winch...

AnswerID: 491244

Reply By: Member - Chris & Debbie (QLD) - Thursday, Jul 19, 2012 at 20:51

Thursday, Jul 19, 2012 at 20:51
Hi Ron

Over the years I have had a Warn Magnum, TigerzII 12,000lb and now have a Ironman Monster 12,000lb.
I always strip them from new and after a few uses, not that any of them got used much, and I would go as far as saying the Magnum is a piece of rubbish.
The motor overheats and burns the insulation with only light loads, no sealing and very minimal grease inside infact most the gears were dry and rusted. The other winches are fully sealed and were well packed with grease.

Chris
Coddiwomple (v.) To travel purposefully towards a vague destination.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message
Classifieds: Codan Envoy HF Radio X1 for sale

AnswerID: 491260

Follow Up By: Ron173 - Thursday, Jul 19, 2012 at 22:38

Thursday, Jul 19, 2012 at 22:38
Thanks Chris,
Exactly what I wanted to hear, some fair dinkum review.

I was really wary by how 2 seperate ARB sales guys took great time to highlight it was 'only an occasional winch' which makes me think when it breaks they will say, well we did tell you it was occasional.... did you use it more than twice in 6 months!!!

I'm over buying sh1t stuff, dont mind paying, but when I'm stuck in middle of nowhere on my own, I expect my $1000+ outlay to friggin work regardless of how often I used it.

I dont plan to engage in the sport of competitive winching and can see the difference in use of course, but regardless of how many times I may need to call upon my chosen winch, I expect it to get me out of trouble time after time, regardless of how often or infrequent that may be, and I fully understand duty cycle, n if I need to winch a marathon in stages, quite happy to wait on cool down. My criteria is 4x4 alone, n get out, not get out fast, dont care on line speed, dont care if it takes 20mins to do 10mtrs, so long as it does it.

I realise the need for maintenance and I'm quite capable , n will prob strip after buying n rebuild with care it shouldve had, done that with many bits of kit n have made a basic thing great by just rebuilding better... sigh! just cant buy quality anymore.

I'm leaning towards the mean mother 9500lb by TJM, purely cos, its A: australian made, n B: the specs positively beat the warn to death! only option is against the TJM 9000lb one, but why not have the 500lb extra, bigger motor, less stressed, 3yr warranty (limited) powder coated, yes its heavier but, really its 45kg, so what? equivelant of my daughter in front seat..??

Thanks Chris for an honest appraisal, youve helped me direct my $1000 - $1100 fitted appropriately, was sooo wary of that ARB warn magnum, they plugged 'occasional, over n over' thankfully can now see why cos its rubbish

hoo roo
FollowupID: 766752

Sponsored Links