Best Portable Solar Panel?

I acknowledge that in recent days there has been a thread around solar panels but as this thread has related more towards fixed panels, I want to pose a question regarding portable (foldable) panels enough to keep an auxiliary battery charged to power my 40L Engel fridge for a couple of days stationery camping .
I am looking for a quality panel and regulator that will give a genuine 90w or 100w output. If you have purchased such a portable panel (with a good regulator) in the past year or so, please tell me the name of the panel, supplier and price as well as your experiences with it Thanks guys.
Camperman 2
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ozhumvee - Friday, Jul 20, 2012 at 07:50

Friday, Jul 20, 2012 at 07:50
IMHO if you buy a "brand name" panel these days you are paying too much, panel prices have dropped a huge amount and many retailers in the 4wd and camping scene are charging way too much for their setups.
We've bought half a dozen fixed panels and four folding setups from "bit-deals" on ebay, also know of many others on here and other forums that have bought different setups as well. All panels work as specified and continue to do so, the oldest in excess of two years since purchase. The folding setups have needed a tightening of the hinge setups and all four that we have purchased as well as a few others that I know of have been pulled apart and reassembled with the panels facing each other and light alloy sheet used to back the panels. One of the regulators has failed after approx 18 months but you are better off fitting an MPPT style reg anyway as well as fitting the reg at the vehicle rather than the panel end.
I would also look at buying at least a 160w (2x80) folding setup to keep up with the Engel especially with the odd cloud around, better to have an excess than not enough. Funnily enough when you can generate power for free you tend to find more ways to use it.
Have no connection with the seller just a satisfied repeat customer.
AnswerID: 491277

Follow Up By: Janos K - Friday, Jul 20, 2012 at 15:38

Friday, Jul 20, 2012 at 15:38
This post has been read by the moderation team and has been moderated due to a breach of The Advertising/Self-Promotion Rule .

Forum Moderation Team
FollowupID: 766783

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Saturday, Jul 21, 2012 at 14:51

Saturday, Jul 21, 2012 at 14:51
I totaly agree with you Peter. This has been my experience as well.
160 Watts of Mono panels and a 30 watt MPPT reg.
The old principal of more is better realy does apply to solar.

I think most of the dealers on ebay are pretty good.
Does not pay them to be otherwise these days, I believe.

Cheers, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 766835

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Saturday, Jul 21, 2012 at 14:52

Saturday, Jul 21, 2012 at 14:52
should read 30 amp MPPT reg.
Sorry. Bruce
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 766836

Reply By: JimDi - Friday, Jul 20, 2012 at 15:19

Friday, Jul 20, 2012 at 15:19
Gordon,
Have a look at Korr Lighting website. I recently purchased a canvas backed folding solar panel along with a pack of their camp lights. Had it all wired into our new slide on camper last week. Price wise the solar kit is $600 and the 12v camp lighting kit varies depending on how much kit you want. But all prices are listed.

As for performance its too early to tell as I cannot get away at the moment due to an illness in the family. But it all looked good in the showroom at the last Brisbane 4WD show.

My reasons for purchasing the solar panel was mainly because I wanted to get away from a sandwich board arrangement, and this model can be easily picked up and folded away. I store it behind the drivers seat in the LC ute. And I have no association with this company.
Jim
AnswerID: 491309

Sponsored Links