$25 butane cooker vs full stove?

Submitted: Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 20:53
ThreadID: 9698 Views:10374 Replies:8 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

Thinking of purchasing either a coleman dual fuel 2 burner stove OR 2 of those little $25 cookers (i think they run on butane?)

anyone got some experience with the little $25 specials? i'm not overly concerned about how much gas they chew as long as i'm not changing cartridges a couple of times to cook a meal!

cheers,

KG

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Tim - Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 21:00

Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 21:00
A typical gas stove will consume about 138g/h of gas so on a 600g can you'll get about 5-6 hours running the staove flat out.
Tim
AnswerID: 42722

Reply By: jemima puddle duck - Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 21:12

Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 21:12
gday kg.
i bought one of then $25 coockers at the fourbyshow and now looking at another one.we are a familly of 6 and it usually cooks our meat(we have to cook 2 frying pans)vegies/potatoes and more than enough gas left to boil the kettle and cook up brekky.prices for the cartridges vary from well under $2 clints ect up.
went to a bbq last night(thanks mr and mrs al)and they have the new type one a little like a kettle(webber) bbq with a lid there about $30 from big w.
mrs just informed me were getting the new one pay day lol.
we just bought another camper trailer and i was going to fit fold down stove ini the side but with the 2 bbq i dont think i will bother now.
cheers
you reckon your cute
richard(eskimo)
but im a lot cuter

AnswerID: 42724

Reply By: Dave from Fraser Coast 4WD Club - Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 21:15

Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 21:15
I've got both, the butane stoves are terrifcly versatile and convenient, but do go thru the butane very quickly, If I'm camping for more than a couple of days I take the coleman, if it's just a quick trip I take the butane.
AnswerID: 42726

Reply By: Herve - Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 21:27

Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 21:27
I've got two of the little stoves - love em - the makers reckon they run on a can of gas for 1.5 hours flat out - seems about right. Very portable and convenient to use and they always light first time !...you can depend on it....a triumph of design it seems. My first one was $45 - the second $20 at Big W !
You can strike a 12 slab of cans at Big W for around $1.60 a can sometimes. You can get ripped of here and there but - up to $3.50 and more I've seen as singles.
We back them up with a gas ring that screws onto a small cylinder, or best of all..... a camp fire.
"This is a situation, up with which, we should no longer put ! (W. Churchill, on plans to reduce 4WD access in some parks).
AnswerID: 42731

Reply By: Member - Robbo - Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 22:47

Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 22:47
KG

butane cookers are real handy for quick meals or boiling the billy when you on the move. saves putting the gas stoves together. when you have set up camp the coleman stove is the go. also in very low temperatures the butane can freeze and the cooker will not work.

RobboBring on the next adverture
AnswerID: 42745

Reply By: Member - Bernie. (Vic) - Tuesday, Jan 13, 2004 at 02:18

Tuesday, Jan 13, 2004 at 02:18
Hi KG & others
Don't rely on the butane units alone as they DO NOT like it when it gets cold.
Breakie can be a real pain as we found on the Border Track at Easter 03
3 mornings out of 10 we had to boil billy on some one elses stove.
Now We take a Gas stove & the butane which is convenient for extra hot water during the day etc

Cheers
Prado TD Auto
AnswerID: 42761

Reply By: stillthinkinaboutit - Tuesday, Jan 13, 2004 at 09:18

Tuesday, Jan 13, 2004 at 09:18
As Bernie mentioned, the units are great, but, when the outside temperature is low the cartrdidges can freeze up and prevent gas flow. The problem seems to occur more often when the cartridges are not full, like 3/4 or 1/2 etc.
On one trip to Hill End in June/July a few of us were using these and had to put a cannister or two in our jacket pockets and keep them warm, kept swapping them over as they froze up.

Using the same stoves in November we never had a problem.

Regards, Mark
AnswerID: 42771

Follow Up By: stillthinkinaboutit - Tuesday, Jan 13, 2004 at 09:22

Tuesday, Jan 13, 2004 at 09:22
Should mention that I also have a portable ring burner and also a four burner gas stove/oven in the camper for longer trips. The portable unit lives in the storage _Affordable_Storage_Drawers.aspx of the Patrol ready for overnite stops and quick cuppa's etc.
FollowupID: 305106

Reply By: AndrewW - Tuesday, Jan 13, 2004 at 10:49

Tuesday, Jan 13, 2004 at 10:49
The little stoves are great, we have two.

I will concur with what others have said, they don't like the cold. Camping in the Vic High Country in May, and we had to rotate the canisters around a bit to get our cooking done. Not a huge problem, but slows the cooking down a bit. I still prefer them to the gas stoves as the gas bottle is harder to pack.

AnswerID: 42787

Sponsored Links