Marble mine track

Submitted: Saturday, Jul 21, 2012 at 19:24
ThreadID: 97006 Views:3340 Replies:1 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hey all,
Today I took c22 track off the Cowwarr road in the hope of finding the old black marble mine, hidden in the Thompson River gorge area.

I was following the notes from the rawson village walks PDF.

It makes mention of a track to the mine, but, for the life of me it couldn't be found. At the end of the track the spur dropped steeply into the Thompson, great views,but no sign of a track. No one could have hauled marble up the spur there.

Has anyone ever seen the mine? Can anyone offer some suggestions as to where the track head is?

Thanks in advance.
Horse

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Teejay - Saturday, Jul 21, 2012 at 19:35

Saturday, Jul 21, 2012 at 19:35
G'day Horsing' Around,

You were all but there. From what I remember the track does go down to the river somewhere on the left where the c22 ends. They used to haul it out of there to the Toongabbie Railway Station with bullock teams. There used to be huge block still at the old Toongabbie Station. Don't know if it's still the but I might go for a look.

I recall a turn to the left was required. It may have been the c22-1 track from memory, Then somewhere near the end of that it was a only a few hundred meters walk to the quarry. Nice black marble.

TJ...
AnswerID: 491382

Follow Up By: Horsin' Around - Saturday, Jul 21, 2012 at 19:42

Saturday, Jul 21, 2012 at 19:42
Hi tj, i parked at the intersection and walked in. After the fires the is nothing obvious. Do you recall if the track was at the very end (very steep) or back a bit? Also am I looking for a benches track or just an animal type pad?

Thanks 4 the quick response....
Horse
FollowupID: 766851

Follow Up By: Teejay - Saturday, Jul 21, 2012 at 21:13

Saturday, Jul 21, 2012 at 21:13
Most of those tracks that go down to the Thomsom are steep. I looked at that Raswon Village PDF Map and it looks pretty right. The Bushfire that stared at Coppers Creek went through there. Your probably right about their impact. I must get up there for a look.
FollowupID: 766854

Follow Up By: Horsin' Around - Saturday, Jul 21, 2012 at 21:29

Saturday, Jul 21, 2012 at 21:29
If you get up here, do me a favour and take some surveyor's tape and mark the trail. Take a buddy though. I am pretty adventurous, but the thought of doing an ankle up there in the shale with only the dog to get me out was a bit daunting.

Nice talking tj, let me know how you get on.
FollowupID: 766855

Follow Up By: Member - MUZBRY(Vic) - Saturday, Jul 21, 2012 at 21:43

Saturday, Jul 21, 2012 at 21:43
Gday to you both
If you want an offsider for the day, i will put my hand up. I would like to go to the area and have a look. Lil Wes and i usually go up past Huggets crossing .

Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 766856

Follow Up By: Horsin' Around - Tuesday, Jul 31, 2012 at 05:28

Tuesday, Jul 31, 2012 at 05:28
Well a bit more digging, and help from Rudi and Dave and I am closer to the mine, err sorry, it is a quarry site, not a mine. One map unearthed shows a second diggings as well.

The track head appears to be about 100 m back up from the end of the 4wd track.

Heading back for another expedition soon. Thanks y'all.
FollowupID: 767582

Sponsored Links