Bilby's under threat at Currawinya National Park

Looks like the recent floods have contributed to the lack of maintenance on the cat proof fence on the Bilby enclosure at Currawinya National Park.

News Article

On our recent trip to Diamantina National Park the Rangers there shot 80 cats in one night. We saw more feral cats than most other wildlife.
We also may have found a new colony of Bilby's after speaking to one of the Rangers about a carcass we found and photographed whilst out exploring in the Park :)

Cheers Kev

Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Shane D (QLD) - Sunday, Jul 22, 2012 at 19:12

Sunday, Jul 22, 2012 at 19:12
Hi Kev, I read on another forum that the bilbys had been wiped out, I hope some one has got that wrong
AnswerID: 491432

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Sunday, Jul 22, 2012 at 19:34

Sunday, Jul 22, 2012 at 19:34
Shane,

As per the Article they haven't seen a bilby there for about 2 months so who knows :(

But shooting 22 feral cats and still not getting them all doesn't sound good either.

Cheers Kev

Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 766897

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, Jul 22, 2012 at 20:18

Sunday, Jul 22, 2012 at 20:18
Sir Kev,

No doubt some people mightn't be happy that parts of their sponsored fence wasn't being maintained. Tragic too, that the cats have been able to get back in there. It'll take a while to clean ALL of them out.

Re the Army's effort at Astrebla some years back. Was speaking to the manager of Davenport Downs, at the time, and he told me the boys shot 450 cats.........and used 4,500 rounds of ammo. Another yarn he told me, I'd better not repeat here, in case the Cat Society comes after me.

Heaps of cats around the Winton area too, Kev. Wife says there's a fresh carcase every couple of days, just east of town, on Jessamine Ck floodway.

Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 491437

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Sunday, Jul 22, 2012 at 21:01

Sunday, Jul 22, 2012 at 21:01
Bob,

With such good seasons at the moment I think the numbers of the bastards are increasing.
Would love to see the feral cat numbers reduced by as many means as possible.

Cheers Kev

Russell Coight:

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 766906

Reply By: Member - Brian P (SA) - Sunday, Jul 22, 2012 at 22:31

Sunday, Jul 22, 2012 at 22:31
Hi Kev. Hope the panel Frank talked Me and Sharron into sponsoring is not damaged. Poor Bilby's hope they are ok. Brian
AnswerID: 491453

Reply By: Member-Heather MG NSW - Monday, Jul 23, 2012 at 06:52

Monday, Jul 23, 2012 at 06:52
Hi Kev,

On our recent travels through Western NSW National Parks (Mungo, Mutawintji, Sturt) then into western Qld...the Dig tree, Quilpie, Windorah...we were shocked by the numbers of feral cats. They were hanging around the campgrounds trying to steal food after dark...very easy to spot with head lights on.

We counted 9 (some were road kill) between Quilpie and Windorah one day. (Also saw lots of pigs in the same area.)

They must be doing enormous damage to native wildlife and any efforts to eradicate them are ok by me. I used to be a cat lover...but not any more!

And there were huge numbers of feral goats in western NSW as well. I am all for controlled hunting in National Parks.

regards,

Heather
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 491462

Sponsored Links