Garmin Topo vs Hema maps

Just after some information on which is better... the Garmin Topo maps or the Hema maps.

I have to put a GPS on my adventure/enduro motorbike and the only real choice are two Garmin's that that are water proof and shock proof..... but I am also considering the Hema navigator.

If I go the Hema route I'll CNC an aluminium water proof sealed housing to mount it in......

The Garmin all up is about $200 more is water and shock proof but I can't run decent maps in it.... the Hema is not water or shock proof but I can us my 50gig worth of maps and it will take me about 8 hours to make the housing.

We run a laptop when 4x4ing running Ozi, trackranger and Garmin's Mobile PC.

I run Garmin Topo with Garmin's Mobile PC but from memory the the Topo maps are not overly good..... we use Mobile PC for normal GPS use much like a Nuvi.

When travelling we always use Ozi hence why I haven't compared Garmin's topo to much.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, Jul 22, 2012 at 20:49

Sunday, Jul 22, 2012 at 20:49
Can't help you on the maps, OC1, but have got a couple of Garmins and a Hema HN5.

The Hema maps on the HN5 are quite bright, with good colour(unlike the iGo, which is really wishy-washy colouring), and once zoomed in a bit, you shouldn't have too much trouble reading it while you're doing a "mono"!!!

Would suggest a substantial screen on your CNC housing, to keep it shaded as much as possible. Oh, and get an HN6, not a HN5.

Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 491442

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Sunday, Jul 22, 2012 at 21:02

Sunday, Jul 22, 2012 at 21:02
I'm looking at the Hema HN6 and yes an adjustable shade is on the cards.... surprised nobody has made cases for the Hema yet, might have to look into it.

Even that I have to Garmin Topo maps I hardly every use them as they don't run on the mapping software we mainly used.
FollowupID: 766907

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Jul 22, 2012 at 20:53

Sunday, Jul 22, 2012 at 20:53
Hi Olcoolone

There is no comparison between and it is like chalk and cheese. The Hema will give you everything that your require, plus far superior maps.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 491443

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Sunday, Jul 22, 2012 at 21:06

Sunday, Jul 22, 2012 at 21:06
After using a 13 inch laptop for the last 4 years mapping bin remote locations I think if I went with the Garmin I would be disappointed.... having travelled with others who have the HN5's I have not taken much interest in them as the laptop is far better but the laptop is a bit big on the bike.

Was looking at the VMS700 but customer service failed so they are out.
FollowupID: 766908

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Jul 22, 2012 at 22:29

Sunday, Jul 22, 2012 at 22:29
Hi Olcoolone

The new HN6 is a top unit (I have just upgraded from the old HN5) and you would be very happy with one. As for a case, Hema supply one in the box, just as they did with my old HN5

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 766919

Reply By: wizzer73 - Sunday, Jul 22, 2012 at 21:37

Sunday, Jul 22, 2012 at 21:37
Good question because I was wondering the same. On my bike i have the zumo 550 which is a great unit but i use "shonky maps". Have you heard of them or checked them out? Google it if you haven't. They are good maps but don't have the detail of hema. I haven't bit the bullet on OZtopo yet as I was unsure of the detail in the maps. In the 4wd, I run hema maps on an ebay GPS and the detail is great. I think I will stick with what I have.

wizzer
AnswerID: 491448

Follow Up By: Member - nick b - Sunday, Jul 22, 2012 at 22:26

Sunday, Jul 22, 2012 at 22:26
Re shonkys v garmin topo.... chalk and cheers ... garmin topo. very detailed . but it also depends on where you are looking ....
I have noticed that the map shown on the garmin dash nav is not as detailed " crap on detail " compared to the laptop !!!

I would have thought a garmin 60cs or similar would be hard to beat for a motor bike .

Not taking any thing from hema maps . I think Im right in saying that the hema navigator is make by VMS !!!

cheers nick

Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 766918

Follow Up By: wizzer73 - Sunday, Jul 22, 2012 at 23:21

Sunday, Jul 22, 2012 at 23:21
thanks nick, food for thought.

wizzer
FollowupID: 766922

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Monday, Jul 23, 2012 at 00:41

Monday, Jul 23, 2012 at 00:41
@ nick b

"I think Im right in saying that the hema navigator is make by VMS !!!"

Hi Nick

Can you clarify what you mean by this statement? Assume there is a typo or two (i.e. "make" = "made"?). Hema and VMS severed "ties" a few years ago.....and in any event the "Hema" maps were all Hema’s creations ..nothing to do with VMS.

Common mistake - Don’t confuse hardware (Hema Navigator, VMS GPS units) with digital maps that Hema makes. VMS don’t make any maps, they just convert existing maps/data to a format suitable for whatever programs run on their units (or the map software provider does).

Hema on the other hand get off their butts and go for a drive with the GPS tracking on and make maps using their data (and Govt stuff). In my next life I’m getting a job with them (well if it doesn’t interfere with a few other things I have planned :)

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 766924

Follow Up By: Member - nick b - Monday, Jul 23, 2012 at 09:28

Monday, Jul 23, 2012 at 09:28
Greg : you can be sure there is a typo or two from me ...not the sharpest tool ...

Quote.. I think Im right in saying that the hema navigator is "MADE" by VMS . I.E I see a lot of people talk down products like VMS ....

Quote.. severed "ties" a few years ago ......sorry , use too . I.E

That is the navigator its self .... NOT maps as you pointed out . excellent .

Didnt you have a hema nav for sale ?

getting back to the thread what would an Explorer use on a bike ?

cheers nick

Cheers Nick b

FollowupID: 766933

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Monday, Jul 23, 2012 at 10:14

Monday, Jul 23, 2012 at 10:14
Hi

Yes had one for sale in the trader a month or two ago. Sold it. Contemplating HN6 but other priorities at moment.

HNs are not really suited to use on a motorcycle in my opinion. Major problem is you would have great difficulty seeing the screen…which is not “sunlight readable”. Certainly has advantages with range of maps relative to say a standard Garmin but if you can’t see them, no point. They are all right in the car (for which they were designed).

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 766938

Follow Up By: PJR (NSW) - Tuesday, Jul 24, 2012 at 20:59

Tuesday, Jul 24, 2012 at 20:59
This post has been read by the moderation team and has been moderated due to a breach of The Post Removed by Request Rule .

Forum Moderation Team
FollowupID: 767095

Follow Up By: PJR (NSW) - Tuesday, Jul 24, 2012 at 21:06

Tuesday, Jul 24, 2012 at 21:06
This post has been read by the moderation team and has been moderated due to a breach of The Post Removed by Request Rule .

Forum Moderation Team
FollowupID: 767096

Follow Up By: Member - nick b - Tuesday, Jul 24, 2012 at 21:34

Tuesday, Jul 24, 2012 at 21:34
PJR : Q...We wanted Ozi because it had the best range of maps
Oziexplorer Dont have maps its a program that uses others maps .

"Would a moserator please remove my above post. I am off topic"...... why so ? ..does EO have an off topic think O .....lol

cheers
Cheers Nick b

FollowupID: 767102

Follow Up By: PJR (NSW) - Tuesday, Jul 24, 2012 at 21:58

Tuesday, Jul 24, 2012 at 21:58

Forum Moderation Team
FollowupID: 767106

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Monday, Jul 23, 2012 at 07:30

Monday, Jul 23, 2012 at 07:30
Olcoolone,

To answer you query more specifically, none of the maps you mentioned.

The Natmap 2008 series of maps are the best to use, listed in the Exploroz Shop under Geoscience Australia.
Cost is around $94.00 for the DVD set.

As to what is best to run them on, the Hema Navigator and OziExplorer app takes some beating.

Unlike the Hema HN5 series which came with both Natmap and Hema maps installed, the HN6 only has the Hema range and if you compare the both of them, the Napmap range has more detail and better colour.

So if you buy the Hema HN6, you would be best served by installing the Natmap series of digital maps as well.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

AnswerID: 491463

Reply By: The Explorer - Monday, Jul 23, 2012 at 10:28

Monday, Jul 23, 2012 at 10:28
Hi

Maybe consider a TwoNav Aventura.

TwoNav Aventura

TwoNav Aventura discussion on bike use

TwoNav Aventura handlebar bracket

You can use ecw format maps (so some of your OziExplorer maps may be directly compatible). TwoNav software is comparable to OziCE. You can save all your data in GPX format so easy to import/export stuff from OziExplorer on your PC.

I have been using one for over two years – best GPS I have ever owned.

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 491474

Reply By: Shaker - Tuesday, Jul 24, 2012 at 20:35

Tuesday, Jul 24, 2012 at 20:35
My Garmin Topo v3.0 doesn't even have Boulia listed & the further North I go the more inaccurate it gets!

AnswerID: 491590

Reply By: Bigfish - Tuesday, Jul 24, 2012 at 20:49

Tuesday, Jul 24, 2012 at 20:49
Personally I would be going onto an adventure motorcycle forum and asking the riders what they use and their experiences. Personally the most important thing would be a screen that you can actually read in sunlight. Waterproofing and a good mounting option important too. Zumo, Garmin and Strike are recommended for bikes. Plenty of motorbikes getting around with the strioke fitted.
Good luck making a decision...there is just so much out there.

cheers
AnswerID: 491592

Reply By: Sigmund - Wednesday, Jul 25, 2012 at 13:36

Wednesday, Jul 25, 2012 at 13:36
Tom Tom also make a dedicated bike GPS but getting decent off-road/4WD maps for them seems difficult.

I've used Garmin's Topo Aus v. 2 and it's poor. If you go Garmin take a close look at Oztopo v. 4 ... 1:25k scale. About $230. Screen samples look good.

Free Shonkymaps for the Garmin are 1:250k, scanned from the GA topo series. That scale makes fine nav tricky sometimes and they're also dated.

Some random comments:

1. If you're doing bush roads and tracks and you want the unit handlebar mounted, it'll take a pounding. Zumo or Tom Tom would be the go. The desert racers know.

2. Do you need the unit handlebar mounted? A Hema HN5I is sposed to be good for a few hours constant use on the batteries alone so you could fit it in a tankbag, maybe with an external antenna. And you have the Hema maps stored in it.

3. Another option is to take Hema paper maps (they're excellent) and a handheld GPS unit just to get or confirm a fix. (I run a Garmin handheld stuck in the tailpack to record a track log over a day's sportbike riding on mountain roads and it does a good job of that).

4. If you want to enclose and handlebar-mount an HN5I you lose any instant touchscreen capacity but you obviously need a decent mount. Cost of a RAM mount?

Good luck with the project.
AnswerID: 491639

Sponsored Links