inverter reverse cycle air con what size generator needed

Submitted: Monday, Jul 23, 2012 at 14:20
ThreadID: 97038 Views:6166 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
have installed a fujitsu reverse cycle inverter air con to my coromal pop top van
works a treat on 240 v
question is what size generator is required to run it. cooling is 580 watts and heating is 730 w
did read that a LG 900w inverter split system
was run successfully on a 1KVA Yamaha
has anybody have information on this
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: hazo - Monday, Jul 23, 2012 at 18:09

Monday, Jul 23, 2012 at 18:09
I have a friend who runs the same a/c on a 1kva Yamaha too.

I have just had a new 5th wheeler built with same a/c myself and they are superb.
Cannot understand anyone having an outdated old technology caravan roof mount a/c when this newer technology is so good and far more efficient.

If my unit fails I can replace it 2 more times and will still be ahead cost wise, but I dont expect it to.

AnswerID: 491505

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Monday, Jul 23, 2012 at 21:42

Monday, Jul 23, 2012 at 21:42
Sounds interesting, we have an Air Command Wren mounted on the roof of our van and although the Honda 2.0 runs it ok the air con has started to make a rather disturbing noise when run on heat mode. Rather than have the unit repaired I would be keen to see if the inverter split system is a practical replacement with regard to cost, efficiency and do these type of air cons have reverse (heat) mode. There power consumption looks to be way ahead of the existing roof mount.
Any input much appreciated

Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 767016

Follow Up By: hazo - Monday, Jul 23, 2012 at 22:35

Monday, Jul 23, 2012 at 22:35
Pop

I have had 4 previous caravans with an assortment of roof mounted a/c's

All have been noisy, most were inadequate in really hot temps. or really low temps.
Even on slow speed the noise and vibration made it impossible for me to sleep with it running.

The last unit was an Ibis and was the worst by far ! due to this fact I was determined in my new rv to have a domestic type inverter split.

We have only really used it in anger for heating at present but I am over the moon with it ! It is virtually silent, gets our 30' 5th wheeler warm in about 3 mins tops !
I can sleep easily with it running, as on quiet setting the fan can be hardly heard.

My mate assures me the cooling will be the same if not better performance.

Caravanners have been brainwashed into accepting old inferior technology with excuses that domestic units wont last etc. etc.

I can also state that my unit is also covered by full waranty in my 5th wheeler, this was checked and confirmed prior to installation in my unit.

I would never go back to the old style inferior units.

The hardest part is finding somewhere to fit the head Internal unit, mine was designed from new so was easy, the outside unit is on my rear bumper, again designed for it.

Good luck and go for it you will not be disapointed.
FollowupID: 767019

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Monday, Jul 23, 2012 at 23:56

Monday, Jul 23, 2012 at 23:56
Hazo,

Thanks for the info mate, I will look into this a bit more. I was thinking about issues with the fitment of the internal unit and was hoping that it may be possible to use the existing (with modification) mounting position of the original air con. Good to hear that the manufacturer of your unit was satisfied to warrant his product for on road use. I did have concerns regarding the longivity of this type of air con when AFAIK these were designed for domestic use only. If I may ask, what brand is yours?

Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 767023

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Monday, Jul 23, 2012 at 23:59

Monday, Jul 23, 2012 at 23:59
Ooops, just re-read the original post and I think my dopey "brand" question has already been answered.
FollowupID: 767024

Reply By: Member - Andrew W14 - Monday, Jul 23, 2012 at 19:30

Monday, Jul 23, 2012 at 19:30
My 2.5 KW Mitsubishi invertor air con on my caravan runs quite happily on a Yamaha 2.0 KW running on ECO mode, that has very similar watt usage to your.
I have also heard of others that run them on a 1.0 KW Honda, Yamaha or similar and as mine does not even get much above idle speed even when starting I believe them.

AnswerID: 491516

Reply By: patsproule - Tuesday, Jul 24, 2012 at 17:42

Tuesday, Jul 24, 2012 at 17:42
A bit different I know but we run a domestic (house style) 6kw Mitsubishi dual head inverter split system in our television outside broadcast truck. One of the key issues during the install was to secure all of the lines so they wouldn't move and potentially fracture. They also had to check But it's been absolutely fine in the 4 years of service. For interests sake it sucks a total of about 14 amps max off one of our generators - which are a pair of Honda EU65I inverters (these run the whole facility with about 4kw to spare).

Pat
AnswerID: 491577

Follow Up By: patsproule - Tuesday, Jul 24, 2012 at 17:44

Tuesday, Jul 24, 2012 at 17:44
Sorry - I missed part of a sentence....

They also had to check that all of the internals of the external unit were secure and suitable for travel. Which they were. Apparently in some the compressor isnt helt in to firmly and could come adrift on the road. Do understand that you wont get a warranty if it's used in this situation.
FollowupID: 767080

Sponsored Links