Exide Extreme Battery Performance

Submitted: Monday, Jul 23, 2012 at 21:16
ThreadID: 97042 Views:3417 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,
Has any member had experience running Exide N70EXL Extreme batteries. I chose these because I believe they are a suitable hybrid (starting/deep cycle) battery for my 4x4. (one for starting, the other for Engel in the car, and caravan lighting and TV/radio). While I have never had any reason to be disappointed, I am aware that they never reach the fully charged level of 12.8V, but hold around 12.3/12.4V at rest. While there is 14V or so available with the engine running they never fully charge, even after really long runs, (and a rest over nite, before I take a reading).
I have used a few of these, and they have lasted years, so it seems that this does not matter. I would however like an explanation. Your input would be appreciated.
Thanks, Barry
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Robin Miller - Monday, Jul 23, 2012 at 21:49

Monday, Jul 23, 2012 at 21:49
Hi Barry

Thats not to far out , mines sitting at 12.4 now and its cold outside , don't know what climate your in but 12.8 is wrong as fully charged , but they can be there with a surface charge for a short while.

Also your multimeters are just not that accurate either over a temperature range when you are playing with 0.1 of a volt etc.

Your multimeter probably isn't a calibrated one so and interesting trick to do is to keep it in a warm room then go outside on a cold night and quickly do a measurement before it warms up.

Great Batteries by the way

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 491524

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, Jul 24, 2012 at 07:44

Tuesday, Jul 24, 2012 at 07:44
Barry,

I used an Exide Extreme for the main battery in my previous vehicle and they are built to take rugged punishment such as corrugated roads etc.
I have never considered one for an auxiliary battery however.

I assume you would be mounting the second battery under the bonnet as well?

This would require some extremely long heavy duty cable runs to supply power for your caravan lighting feed and even the circuit to your fridge (in the back of the vehicle?) may result in a considerable voltage drop.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 491541

Follow Up By: patsproule - Tuesday, Jul 24, 2012 at 17:32

Tuesday, Jul 24, 2012 at 17:32
I have an N50 extreme that is in a battery box. It's about 5 years old and is used to run the fridge when it's out of the car on extended trips. It has been abused - heavily discharged and recharged many times, but has stood up well.
FollowupID: 767077

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Wednesday, Jul 25, 2012 at 10:22

Wednesday, Jul 25, 2012 at 10:22
I've had 4 of the Exide Extremes over the years - they have been very good batteries. All of them sit at 12.6 to 12.7V at rest. If they are sitting at 12.3, there must be something pulling power while the vehicle is switched off.
AnswerID: 491624

Sponsored Links