Canning Stock Route: Changes to permit application system

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 24, 2012 at 18:54
ThreadID: 97057 Views:2705 Replies:2 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Four Wheel Drive Australia who at present administer the permits for the Canning Stock Route have asked me to advise travellers of the changes that are taking place commencing 30 September 2012.

In summary

"From 30 September 2012 the Australian National Four Wheel Drive Council (4 Wheel Drive Australia), will no longer issue travel permits for the Canning Stock Route (CSR), one of Australia’s iconic and most challenging four wheel drive route.

“In future travellers will need to apply for permits through Kuju Wangka which represents native title areas along the CSR,” said Council President Eric Morey."

I have the full Media Release on my website as it does not appear to be on the ANFWDCA website as yet. I am not permitted to give a link to my copy of the Media Release here on EO.

Motherhen

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bush Wanderer - Wednesday, Jul 25, 2012 at 00:28

Wednesday, Jul 25, 2012 at 00:28
Thanks for the tip off motherhen.

Let's hope that it does not prevent those that care about "our" land (us) from traveling the csr. It will only make relationships worse for those that pay their own way.

If they deny access....then things will certainly not go down well.

BW.
AnswerID: 491605

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Jul 25, 2012 at 00:39

Wednesday, Jul 25, 2012 at 00:39
Hi BW

I doubt that access to the route itself will ever be denied as the route is a public easement. In the interim permits can be obtained from either Four Wheel Drive Australia or the Kuju Wangka at the same. This price structure may change after 30 September 2012 when Four Wheel Drive Australia is off the picture.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

0
FollowupID: 767112

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Wednesday, Jul 25, 2012 at 12:22

Wednesday, Jul 25, 2012 at 12:22
Thanks for the heads up Motherhen, as we are planning a trip up that way for May- June next year it is good to be fore warned. Do you know what the circumstances were that brought about the change in policy. Just curios.
Broodie H3
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

0
FollowupID: 767144

Follow Up By: Member - David T (SA) - Wednesday, Jul 25, 2012 at 13:10

Wednesday, Jul 25, 2012 at 13:10
We were at Kunawarriji both last year and again in June this year. Graham the manager flagged the proposed changes to us in June. He was hoping that after the change more of the permit money would find its way to the communities along the CSR.
I am not affiliated with either the old or new systems and I am not criticising either. Just passing on info that was told to me.
Cheers
Dave
2004 GXL TD Cruiser

Member
My Profile  Send Message

0
FollowupID: 767148

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Jul 25, 2012 at 13:11

Wednesday, Jul 25, 2012 at 13:11
Hi Brodie

I know it has been under discussion since last year. Anything i could say would be pure speculation so out of place here. The hyperlink on Kuju Wangka opens up the website for permit applications which will be the only way after 30 September.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

0
FollowupID: 767149

Follow Up By: Members Pa & Ma. - Saturday, Jul 28, 2012 at 18:16

Saturday, Jul 28, 2012 at 18:16
We agree, we did all the correct things only to be treated very badly at Warburton & not allowed entry into an area we did this trip especially to see.The rude,arrogant person was a young English bloke who proudly bore the badge of A.B. P.O. I find this Ironic!!!!!
I reported him & received a ridiculous reply. but at least an apology came with it.

Signs had been taken down by this person & not replaced & signs had been put up, all by the instructions of the land owner. The day we get there to see this apparently beautiful place ,we were told no entry.
The thing is, that the people who don't do the correct thing go in anyway & spoil it for us.
Bye for now. Ma.
0
FollowupID: 767430

Follow Up By: Members Pa & Ma. - Saturday, Jul 28, 2012 at 18:21

Saturday, Jul 28, 2012 at 18:21
Sorry,
That should have been to Bushwanderer whom we agree with.
Bye again. Ma.
0
FollowupID: 767431

Reply By: Members Pa & Ma. - Saturday, Jul 28, 2012 at 17:50

Saturday, Jul 28, 2012 at 17:50
Hi Motherhen,
Hope all is well in your part of the world.
I sent my reply to Mick.
It will take at l east 2 more Generations, if there isn't a war in between, before "Looking after the land " is seen as equal by both parties. We have seen beautiful camp areas in a filthy disgusting mess left by both sides of the argument. You can mostly tell who was responsible by the mess which is left behind.Talk about double standards.
Take care, safe travels. Bye for now Ma.
AnswerID: 491834

Follow Up By: Member - mechpete - Saturday, Jul 28, 2012 at 18:31

Saturday, Jul 28, 2012 at 18:31
In 2005 our group were travelling down the Tanami Rd to start our CSR trip
when a car went past . we followed the trail of empty VB cans that were
thrown out the window of the car , then the box then the box was thrown
out . I will leave it to you to guess who they were !!! not tourists ,
hard to believe the tourists make all the mess allegedly
mechpete .
0
FollowupID: 767434

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (13)