How do you register a New Caravan from Victoria in SA

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 24, 2012 at 23:13
ThreadID: 97069 Views:3127 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
According to SA Motor reg, I'll need a permit to drive it to SA, then I have to take it straight to a Caravan or Car Dealer for it to be inspected by some licensed person to get it approved, instead of going to Regency Park, then I complete the paperwork and take it to Service SA.

Do you know a business I can do that with in the metro area, or have you done this recently. Is it free or is there a charge. The brand of van is a Goldstream RV.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: PeterInSa - Wednesday, Jul 25, 2012 at 00:25

Wednesday, Jul 25, 2012 at 00:25
Hope you have the Gas and electrical certificates, just in case, Would call Dario Caravans in Edwardstown or Larry at Roadmaster in Lonsdale.

To me, you could ecpect to pay between $50 and $150 if you have the certificates. If the van does not have a compliance plate you may need to get it weighted.

If the van needs to be checked out by service SA make sure all the lights work and ditto the brakes etc and I would make sure the D links are rated..

Went thru years ago so may have changed, think they also checked the tugs brakes.

AnswerID: 491604

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Wednesday, Jul 25, 2012 at 08:34

Wednesday, Jul 25, 2012 at 08:34
Did this with mine 3 years back.
The manufacturer supplied me with a 1 month permit from Vic Rego (trip detailed as from the factory direct to my nominated SA Vehicle Inspection point) - the fact that I stayed at my home in SA one night on the way is immaterial).
Took the van to the Vehicle Inspection point at Lonsdale - approved after a 1 minute glance at the Vin plate - nothing else !
With papers supplied by these staff, I took the van home and left it there*.
Then took those papers to Serv SA and registered the van.
* to my view, that trip home was towing a van with no permit, but that is all too hard - a 'grey are'a it seems. The thing is, the permit trip has to be direct, point to point, but it seems everyone fudges the issue and nobody minds - we were encouraged to take the van on a holiday, on our way home (but didn't want to anyway).
AnswerID: 491611

Follow Up By: Barra-2 - Wednesday, Jul 25, 2012 at 10:11

Wednesday, Jul 25, 2012 at 10:11
Thank you Peter and Darian

With your info, I've found someone out North, Mike Griggs Caravan Service Centre at Hampstead Gardens.

It will have all the paperwork needed... getting excited now.
Cheers from Barra
FollowupID: 767131

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Wednesday, Jul 25, 2012 at 13:57

Wednesday, Jul 25, 2012 at 13:57
As Darian has said and there is no need to take it to a caravan place for inspection..... all ADR's are Australia wide so standards are uniform.

Why pay a caravan place to do the work when you can simply do it your self.... there is nothing you need the expertise of a caravan place for.

Best thing is to take it to Motor Reg at Regency Park.... you can do it all there in one go.... should take about 1/2 hour.

FollowupID: 767158

Reply By: Barra-2 - Sunday, Jul 29, 2012 at 22:44

Sunday, Jul 29, 2012 at 22:44
My first advice and instructions from Service SA was over the phone. Because it was vague I asked for advice here.

I went into Service SA in Adelaide on Friday for my personalised plate changer over from my trailer and then asked about the brand new van and how to register it in SA.

That person wasn't sure, so went to another, same again didn't know, so those two went to a 3rd person who gave me the following instructions.

Get Goldstream to arrange a permit to drive it to SA, I then drive it over to SA and go straight to Regency to have it inspected, then register it there.
No appointment is necessary just join the line.So as I live north of the city this is what we will do.

A bit more looking: Identification inspection fees for Tier 2 is $58, this is a tier 2 inspection.
Cheers and thanks for your advice, we pick in up mid Sept.
AnswerID: 491903

Sponsored Links