Patrol bearings gone at 20k

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 13, 2004 at 09:29
ThreadID: 9707 Views:1794 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I just clicked over 20k on my new 3lt GU so that warranted a new car service as you do. That tied in well as the next day I was on vacation. Driving from home here in Cairns, to Burnie Tasmania, the long way. Upon arriving to Burnie I noticed a scretch coming from the right front. Thinking it was dust or dirt in the break pads I touched the breaks a few times until I noticed the sound had disappeared.

That all good and four weeks of hellos/goodbyes behind me I was in Townsville homeward bound. Desiding that it was too humid to stay in the rooftop tent over night in Townsville I pushed on for the three hour drive home to Cairns where my bed and air con seemed inviting.

As I drove through Babinda (50km sth of Cairns) I noticed the scretching had started again only this time there was a bit of feedback through the steering wheel.
My thoughts were, THE DAMN WHEEL BEARINGS.

So with ringing the Nissan24hr roadside the RACQ driver came out (now 1230am)
we stripped the right wheel off to find the outer bearings intact followed by the inner bearing or what remains in remoulded balls. I was expecting at least some grease to be there but there was nothing, the casing was bone dry. Due to the heat in there the axle has been heat warped aswell.

Just to top off the effort, no RACQ tow truck would come out and tow us at 0230am so that meant another night in the humid heat, me lying amongst the luggage in the rear, the better half lying across the front seats (mind the handbreak love) and the dog hitched to the tow ball, 4 metres from the main road, 10 metres from the railway track which was our wake up call as the 0515 train went by.

So that is where the trip ended. 9500km of holidays and the trip ended just 35km from home.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Dennis (Brisbane) - Tuesday, Jan 13, 2004 at 09:44

Tuesday, Jan 13, 2004 at 09:44
What a pr*ck of a way to end the hols.

Nissan doing anything for you? Seems to be a lot of 'issues' with the new Patrols.
AnswerID: 42774

Follow Up By: Boxa - Wednesday, Jan 14, 2004 at 09:24

Wednesday, Jan 14, 2004 at 09:24
I got the machine back yesterday. New stub axle, hub and bearings under warranty. I had to pay for them to check the left wasnt doing the same. You can never win.
FollowupID: 305209

Follow Up By: Michael - Wednesday, Jan 14, 2004 at 16:30

Wednesday, Jan 14, 2004 at 16:30
Boxa, If you had to pay them to check the other, i would white to Nissan Australia and complain,and then find yourself another Dealer. I cant believe that they would do that as it is virtually a new vehicle, and under warranty to boot. Give em a miss, Michael
FollowupID: 305253

Reply By: uppy - Tuesday, Jan 13, 2004 at 10:28

Tuesday, Jan 13, 2004 at 10:28
hi Boxer ,i kind of know what you went though , Coming home from a trip .Both back tyres blew in 40+ temp, with 3 boys 2 small dogs and a wife who hates the heat.and we were in the middle of no where.Luckly there was a family camping not to far away . We were able to get a tow truck ,we were only 50 kms from home.To this day i do not know why the tyres blew
regards uppy
AnswerID: 42784

Reply By: Ross - Tuesday, Jan 13, 2004 at 19:02

Tuesday, Jan 13, 2004 at 19:02
Get a toyo next time
AnswerID: 42844

Sponsored Links