Review: Pieces of Blue

My Shop Item Rating: My Rating 4/5

On a 4x4 Gulf Country adventure with Andrew from Duncans Offroad, we called in at Bowthorn Station and met Kerry the author. I bought two of her books and she signed inside the cover of one. Even got my photo taken with her. Interesting that her dad had a Standard 10. Had forgotten such a vehicle existed. Loved the huge solar powered setup to the house and another by the telephone company. Noted the tractor has had a flat front tyre for quite a while. I never did master that art. Reading one of her books at the moment. Will comment again later down the track. Good, retro read so far as we are in the same age group.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Wednesday, Jul 25, 2012 at 21:24

Wednesday, Jul 25, 2012 at 21:24
What art didn't you master, Rocky?

Or was it something to do with the flat tractor tyre?

Thanks,
Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 491676

Follow Up By: Member - RockyOne - Thursday, Jul 26, 2012 at 09:23

Thursday, Jul 26, 2012 at 09:23
Mainly that flat tractor tire mate. I got tired soon as I saw it. I had fixed a few puntures back in the tube days with the burn on (gunpowder type) heat patches. Only part I liked was the smell as it burned the heat pad. Maybe that was why I went on to become a tank gunner in the army. Loved the burned cordite odour and the power of pressing that little red button on the elevation handle. Regarding arts I mastered, can only think of three. One was the art in the army of marching around the army camp barracks and workshops with a 'clue board' under my arm so no NCO gave me a duty I did not want, two was tank gunnery, got very good at that. Getting paid to do something I would have done for free. Three is Adobe Photoshop (Apple Aperture also) as is has saved countless numbers of mine and friends photos over the years. That Bob Y is the sum total of my arts but am still attending life's school of arts, so who knows what I will master next. Do not hold your breath while waiting for a follow up on this one.
FollowupID: 767235

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Jul 28, 2012 at 09:41

Saturday, Jul 28, 2012 at 09:41
Thanks Rocky, thought it must have been that tyre.

Never liked tractor tyres either, well, flat ones anyway. Worked with a bloke for a time, and he wouldn't remove the big, rear wheels. Would crack the bead, and remove the tube, while still on the tractor. Lot less work, but was an acquired skill.

Take care,

Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 767389

Reply By: Members Pa & Ma. - Friday, Jul 27, 2012 at 12:12

Friday, Jul 27, 2012 at 12:12
Yes, I did the same thing back in 2002 I think we were there ?
I have both of her books & asked her when the next was coming.

Her sister made me a patchwork Quilt cover & we kept in contact until she
died & I thought the Station was sold.
I'm surprised that Kerry is still there.

We used to work on one of the stations that the family traveled & reading the history of it was great.
If you love the outback you'll love the books.
Kerry writes a good book and her sister R.I.P. made beautiful Patchwork Quilts.
I'd be interested in a new one if it comes out.
Kerry has a very descriptive style of writing especially when you know the area
We lost contact over the years.
Take care, safe travels,
Bye for now. Ma.
AnswerID: 491771

Follow Up By: Member - RockyOne - Saturday, Jul 28, 2012 at 14:28

Saturday, Jul 28, 2012 at 14:28
I just checked the year we were there. It was way back in 2001. Sorry. I should have put that in my post.
FollowupID: 767412

Reply By: Member - Des Lexic - Friday, Jul 27, 2012 at 14:57

Friday, Jul 27, 2012 at 14:57
We also had the pleasure of meeting Kerri at Bowthorn Station many years ago.
The first 2 questions that she asked were "Who are you and where are you from" We live in the Riverland in SA and she advised that as a child. she also lived here at Renmark.
Over morning tea and scones, we had a great chat and we bought here first book Pieces of Blue. Later bought Heart Country. Both great reads. She has two more books out. The third one is called "The Waddi Tree" which we aklso have. I heard that Bowthorn Station has been sold and that she now lives in Bunderberg. Her forth book now published is "Wildhorse Creek" Must get a copy of that one too.
AnswerID: 491779

Follow Up By: Member - RockyOne - Friday, Jul 27, 2012 at 17:34

Friday, Jul 27, 2012 at 17:34
Great to get the positive feedback from you guys. Seems we are all on the same channel. Looks like I have to order a couple more books. Some I have read and have purchased are Steve Fosset: Dick Smith: Jessica Watson, Steve Jobs (guess I best do right thing by Bill and read his) Jack Absolom: The Land Rover surveyor in the desert ? Have fun out there.
FollowupID: 767344

Follow Up By: Members Pa & Ma. - Saturday, Jul 28, 2012 at 11:28

Saturday, Jul 28, 2012 at 11:28
Yes, I couldn't remember the name of" The Waddi Tree" yesterday .I also have that one too. It is dedicated to her sister Judith & a couple of other people.
Yes, I was writing to them at Bundaberg then suddenly lost contact.

For her to be back there now for Rocky 1 to meet her she must've gone back.
Thanks for the name of her new book.
I asked her to write a follow up to the "Waddi tree " so I could find out what happened after.
That's when I lost contact. I'm going to buy "Wildhorse Creek " A.S.A.P.. Thanks for letting us know.
Take care, Safe travels
Bye for now Ma.
FollowupID: 767398

Follow Up By: Members Pa & Ma. - Saturday, Jul 28, 2012 at 18:37

Saturday, Jul 28, 2012 at 18:37
Hi Rocky 1,
That's O.K. I had to look for "The Waddi tree" in my bookshelf. It happens to most of us as the years fly by.
So, thanks for letting me know. I can still contact her.She must have been so involved in her new book & so sad about Judith who died of cancer.
Bye for now. Take care & safe travels. Ma.
FollowupID: 767435

Sponsored Links