Review: Hema Navigator - HN5i

My Shop Item Rating: My Rating 4/5

Just returned from 4 weeks camping trip to Central Australia and took along our new HN5i. As a novice to using a GPS and usually computer savvy, I have struggled with understanding many of the HN5i features. For someone unfamiliar with the terminology but keen to learn I find the instructions difficult and not user friendly. I am mostly learning on the go, with experimenting.
Features: The carrier and suction mount held perfectly on all the rough roads. Used sleep mode overnight, good battery life, good vision at night, sun shade/visor would be good but not at $32 so did without. A great range of maps included and easy to scale in or out or zoom in and out as needed. Used 4wd majority of journey. Used Street navigation at Alice Springs to find our way around to tourist spots and shops - excellent. Compact and easy to pack in pouch and carry when leaving vehicle. Perfectly adequate screen size.
Other features: Used waypoints and trail and hope to be able to print out maps of these for our trip album.
There were four occasions over the month when ?interference and signal lost intermittently for no reason for short period and trail scrawled over screen.
Overall very happy with the HN5i. Would recommend it but allow time before use to learn features.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - ROADKING - Tuesday, Jul 31, 2012 at 02:58

Tuesday, Jul 31, 2012 at 02:58
I agree with your assessment of the Hema we did the great central and anne beadell highways last year and found it difficult to come to grip with the features. We downloaded the manual on line and found it difficult to understand a more user friendly version would be appreciated. Apart from that the maps were great and over time we have managed to make friends with it although Im sure there are many features we will struggle to understand.
Cheers Jim
AnswerID: 491957

Sponsored Links