Lyn Junction to Hughenden

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 26, 2012 at 20:08
ThreadID: 97105 Views:3797 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
After getting some advice from people at Cobbold Gorge we set off off on 40k of dirt to Forsayth and then 70k of good road with a mix of sealed and smooth dirt to Einsleigh, very nice little town and some great shots of the rail bridge crossing to Lynd Junction. The road through to Hughenden is very poor to say the least going from sealed 2 lanes wide to a variety of 6" deep ruts of bulldust to small rocks and road trains thrown in, cattle grids and floodwater dips are at times sharp when they are on the gravel, the road drops down to single lane with no passing for road trains on many occasions, don't count on Porcupine Gorge for an overnight stay as this can be booked out on the internet apparently, and you won't know it until someone askes you to leave late in the day. There is no Ranger on site and Hughenden is 70k away for a late check in at a park. Not many alternatives for a free camp but there is a good site with water alongside a creek about 5k north of the Porcupine Park turn off (guestimate).
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Friday, Jul 27, 2012 at 09:11

Friday, Jul 27, 2012 at 09:11
Last year there were some 'free' (non booking) sites at porcupine.....we got one for our van very soon after lunch, but as you say, still a gamble. Great drive from Georgetown down through that region, especially the river geology at Einasleigh. Agreed, re the drive down to Hughenden....seemed to have every outback road surface represented.

AnswerID: 491757

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Friday, Jul 27, 2012 at 09:57

Friday, Jul 27, 2012 at 09:57
Foot,

I travelled through Hughenden - Lynd 3 times, back in 2006. Fair enough there were a few ordinary spots, but thought the terrain and scenery made up for the poor road surfaces.

The one part of the road that I thought was bad, was that "bitumen" stretch, from Lyndhurst Station, north for a couple of kms. Bloody terrible.

The ore trucks, on Lynd - Mt Garnet "highway" make for an invigorating drive. Really gets the heart going!!!

Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 491761

Follow Up By: Member - Foot - Sunday, Jul 29, 2012 at 17:25

Sunday, Jul 29, 2012 at 17:25
G'day, just about every surface was encountered but I probably stretched it too far in one day towing, I had planned to go to Porcupine for quite some time and the extra 70k into town wasn't appreciated late in the day! After talking to some other travellers who know the area they all said the same thing as well, even road workers advised on avoiding it.
FollowupID: 767504

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, Jul 29, 2012 at 17:56

Sunday, Jul 29, 2012 at 17:56
If you were towing, can understand it wasn't a good ride, Foot.

The 3rd trip up there I towed a car trailer, empty, but on the return trip, with newly purchased sedan on board, opted for the bitumen run down to the Towers, then along Flinders H'way.

Can't get over the altitude along much of that road. Then was surprised to find out Ravenshoe is highest town in Qld!

Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 767508

Reply By: outback epicurean - Sunday, Jul 29, 2012 at 22:48

Sunday, Jul 29, 2012 at 22:48
Hi
Thinking if heading that way later in the week. what were you driving and towing as it would help in deciding if it would campare with our rig.
Thanks
AnswerID: 491904

Follow Up By: Member - Foot - Thursday, Aug 02, 2012 at 17:32

Thursday, Aug 02, 2012 at 17:32
Hilux 4B and off road cub drover.
FollowupID: 767740

Sponsored Links