Are Bookings Required

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 26, 2012 at 20:55
ThreadID: 97109 Views:2076 Replies:2 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hope you can help, We are off to the Flinders Ranges in 3 weeks, and would like to do some (many) self drive 4wd tracks, ie: Sky Trek / Merna Morna station. We are well prepaired ( vehicle & camper trailer),but should we book ahead, or as they say wing it till we get over there. Will stay at Rawnsley Park - Arkaroola, we know that there are fees to drive station tracks, also we have not been there before and have read Ron & Viv Moon's book The Flinders Ranges an Adventurer's Guide many times and will read it again.
Thanks for your replies in advance
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Jul 26, 2012 at 21:52

Thursday, Jul 26, 2012 at 21:52
Hi Tony

You will not be in School Holidays, so you should have any problems at all. Many of the drives have strict starting times, so do as we have done in the past, ring the day before to find out their starting times and if they are booked out.

Another good spot to stay is also in Wilpena Pound. I hope you have given your self lots of time, as there is such a lot to see and for a first time visit, even 2 weeks will not be enough.

Another great drive and free is the Glass Gorge drive, with the side trip out to Nuccaleena Ruins - make this also a must do drive. Have a look at the trek notes for the Flinders, as I have written a number of the drives including the rewarding St Mary Peak hike.

Enjoy the Flinders, it is a very special part of SA

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 491738

Follow Up By: Member - Tony Z (NSW) - Friday, Jul 27, 2012 at 18:28

Friday, Jul 27, 2012 at 18:28
Thanks Stephen L, for your reply. We will have 2-3 weeks there, I was going to ring them to book the treks the night before. And we will try to travel and bush camp as much as possible so we can experience the real Flinders not just the tourist parts
FollowupID: 767349

Reply By: Crackles - Thursday, Jul 26, 2012 at 22:32

Thursday, Jul 26, 2012 at 22:32
Being out of season I doubt you'd have too much trouble doing most of the drives or finding a camp by just rolling up. Once you've worked out a rough itinerary though I would however do a ring around to ensure the managers will be on the properties when you get there & check for any big groups coming through at the same time. For example the FJ Cruiser club with 40 odd cars will be at Arkaroola later next month.
Cheers Craig................
AnswerID: 491739

Follow Up By: PJR (NSW) - Thursday, Jul 26, 2012 at 23:00

Thursday, Jul 26, 2012 at 23:00
Craig

Have you got a date that they will be there?
FollowupID: 767299

Follow Up By: Crackles - Thursday, Jul 26, 2012 at 23:28

Thursday, Jul 26, 2012 at 23:28
Around the 20th from memory. The trip is retracing the steps of the "One way out" TV add through the Flinders down to Streaky bay. Not my scene driving in the dust of 40 cars if I can avoid it ;-)
Cheers Craig.................
FollowupID: 767305

Follow Up By: PJR (NSW) - Thursday, Jul 26, 2012 at 23:39

Thursday, Jul 26, 2012 at 23:39
Hi Craig

Just got the old Google answer as well. They will be at the Sanctuary on the 20th and then off.

We arrive at the Sanctuary on the PM of the 21st. Lucky!!!!

I have already shuffled back from May and June then the Nissan drive in July and school holidays. So I was hoping that we would miss them. I don't mind a car or two around but not a mob as large as that. Thats almost enough to fill the MCG to me.

Phew!
FollowupID: 767306

Follow Up By: Member - Tony Z (NSW) - Friday, Jul 27, 2012 at 18:36

Friday, Jul 27, 2012 at 18:36
Thanks craig we will be arriving in southern Flinders around the 22nd. Will be stopping at Willandra NP and Mungo NP then Quorn area on the way over before heading into the Ranges. Hope they are not around Wilpena then ! As PJR said to many in that group for us as well
FollowupID: 767351

Sponsored Links