Coffee Table Book for OS Visitors

Submitted: Saturday, Jul 28, 2012 at 00:07
ThreadID: 97126 Views:2393 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all

I'm looking for a good contemporary coffee table book of Australian life and landscapes as a gift for some OS visitors and I suspect this is an excellent place to start as many EOers will have one or more in their possession.

Will have a good look around tomorrow in the shops but a couple I've found online look interesting. Anyone have one of these, or other books they would recommend?

Focus On Aistralia

Australia Our Island Paradise
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member-Heather MG NSW - Saturday, Jul 28, 2012 at 07:05

Saturday, Jul 28, 2012 at 07:05
Bazooka,
Have a look at this...Richard Green's wonderful book of stunning photographs. Available online. I bought it for myself!

http://www.richardgreen.net.au/pages/home

regards,

Heather
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 491806

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Saturday, Jul 28, 2012 at 10:49

Saturday, Jul 28, 2012 at 10:49
The commemorative book on Lake Eyre put out by the ABC might be a possibility.link here

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 491817

Reply By: Bazooka - Saturday, Jul 28, 2012 at 20:36

Saturday, Jul 28, 2012 at 20:36
Thanks Heather, Val. Seems coffee table Australiana books aren't the flavour of the decade with EO people or in bookshops.

My search in shops was pretty fruitless. Bookshops aren't as prevalent as they were a year ago (Borders used to be excellent) and don't seem to carry as much stock probably because more people are buying online - which in turn leads to more people buying online. A classic Catch22 situation, which is ironic because I'm currently reading that book for the very first time.

I ended up ordering 'Focus On Australia' online as a last resort. I couldn't find it in the shops but the other choices were limited. Fingers crossed now that it's as good as it sounds. I saw both your books - Remote and Wild is a fair bit out of the price range I was considering and the Lake Eyre book too specific but thanks for the ideas anyway.

AnswerID: 491850

Follow Up By: Member - Jim - Sunday, Jul 29, 2012 at 17:29

Sunday, Jul 29, 2012 at 17:29
Bazooka,

I have a couple from Fiona Lake.

You could have a look at http://www.fionalake.com.au/

Cheers
Jim

FollowupID: 767506

Reply By: Bazooka - Wednesday, Aug 01, 2012 at 18:26

Wednesday, Aug 01, 2012 at 18:26
Just received 'Focus On Australia' and I'm relieved to report that it is a very good coffee table book with an eclectic mix of photos of Oz landscapes, wildlife, people, and life. Not perfect but a pretty good mix . I'd give it an 8/10. I'd like to have seen more 'outback' life and landscapes but nevertheless it's a nice gift for a visitor.

Thanks to those who shared their ideas.
AnswerID: 492036

Sponsored Links