Car holder for Ipad

Submitted: Saturday, Jul 28, 2012 at 07:09
ThreadID: 97128 Views:7791 Replies:8 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
I am aware that moSt of you guys use the HEMA GPS but it is too expensive for me. After returning a NUVI 2495 because of the poor Auatralia maps, update for life, (third GPS I've tried so far) I decided to go for the application for Ipad/Iphone. Now I am on the prowl for an Ipad car holder but what I have read on the web is complicated, most of the windshield or shield-dash combinations do not seem to work for obvious reasons (weight and size) even the expensive ones, I am not sure about the air vent holder either. So unless I get a good reccomendation to try out a good one I would leave it on my wife's hands while we travel and try to use the Iphone (small screen and sound). By the way while I used the GPS I had to use the Ipad anyway because the GPS decisons regarding to travel routes were not the best ones and many times the wrong ones.
Any experience with Ipad holders?
Thanks
Note: I do not to watch the GPS screen constantly, listening to the instructins and the alams is normally enough. The Tomtom software seems to be much better and versatile that any other GPS I ave tried before.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: desray (WA - Saturday, Jul 28, 2012 at 08:24

Saturday, Jul 28, 2012 at 08:24
Repco have some on special at the mo
AnswerID: 491810

Reply By: blue2u - Saturday, Jul 28, 2012 at 08:31

Saturday, Jul 28, 2012 at 08:31
I'm using the ClicOn adapters from http://www.holdmyphone.com.au/. I have the base car mount plus two slide on device holders which can take either my iPhone or the iPad.

The holders work pretty well with the only issues in the Prado 120 being that the adapter on the dash RHS obscures part of an air vent and gets a bit in the way of access to the windscreen wipers. With the iPad installed part of the RHS is obscured behind the steering wheel.

Satellite visibility if good for the devices. I have yet to use the iPad in practice, the holder was purchased for some touring we are planning in 2013.
AnswerID: 491811

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Saturday, Jul 28, 2012 at 08:37

Saturday, Jul 28, 2012 at 08:37
Yep, me too.

Although I have an original model Hema Navigator, I also have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 with OziExplorer and Digital maps loaded and wanted to evaluate the practicality of a tablet in the vehicle.

So I have recently installed a dashmount holder for the tablet.

The holdmyphone web site blue allowed and easy selection of both the dashboard mount and Galaxy holder of my choice and was extremely easy to fit.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 767382

Reply By: Member - Genesis (VIC) - Saturday, Jul 28, 2012 at 09:45

Saturday, Jul 28, 2012 at 09:45
Hi, i use one of these Seasucker iPad holders

iPad Mount

They are used quite a bit x 4x4 owners for navigations purposes.

cheers
AnswerID: 491815

Reply By: PJR (NSW) - Saturday, Jul 28, 2012 at 10:25

Saturday, Jul 28, 2012 at 10:25
Howl me down for all you want guys but I am so pleased that we got an in-dash GPS and entertainment unit running OziCE. Absolutely nothing in the cabin to become a missile in a prang. Easy for any single person to run. No navigator needed. No worry about it getting stolen. No internet but that is not wanted anyway. Don't even use a mobile phone myself. Satphone in the glove box for emergency.

Perfect choice for us.
AnswerID: 491816

Reply By: Sigmund - Saturday, Jul 28, 2012 at 10:52

Saturday, Jul 28, 2012 at 10:52
I'm a bit puzzled by the cost argument.

1. iPad
2. iPad mount
3. Set of HEMA 4WD and regional maps (assuming they work with iOS)
4. OziExp or similar

You can't use a USB 'mouse' GPSr so the tablet has to have good line of sight.

When I did the numbers for an Android 7" tablet using quality RAM mounts the total wasn't that far off a Hema 5I.

OK, the tablet has other applications and may mean you don't have to carry a laptop, depending on your needs.

OTOH an HN5I is a proven, coherent package.
AnswerID: 491818

Follow Up By: ferrarofilms - Sunday, Jul 29, 2012 at 08:02

Sunday, Jul 29, 2012 at 08:02
Sigmund:
I am not buying the iPad, I got the iPad....Looong time ago so the numbers do really match...65$ software, a cheap suction cup adapted to my Patriot dash plus a base, a little DIY= less that 100AUD.
With all the opinions collected on the thread an a little research by myself now I know what to do.
Thanks
FollowupID: 767470

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Sunday, Jul 29, 2012 at 10:36

Sunday, Jul 29, 2012 at 10:36
The bigger clearer screen would be positive as well
FollowupID: 767478

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Sunday, Jul 29, 2012 at 13:53

Sunday, Jul 29, 2012 at 13:53
Fair enough, but cost was raised in the OP, so let's compare apples with apples.

The missus has said she'll talk to Santa this year about an HN5I. I'm getting a 7" tablet anyway. I hate wasting money and when apples are added up the price diff. is not a decider for me. Package coherence, usability and support count for more.
FollowupID: 767493

Reply By: AlbyNSW - Saturday, Jul 28, 2012 at 10:54

Saturday, Jul 28, 2012 at 10:54
Have a look at the RAM brand mounts, they have a number of different options
AnswerID: 491819

Reply By: Robert H2 - Saturday, Jul 28, 2012 at 10:56

Saturday, Jul 28, 2012 at 10:56
You might like this device for holding the ipad. It attaches to the seat runner.
http://www.minidisc.com.au/arkon-ipaduniversal-tablet-seat-car-mount-p-2275.html
I don't have this unit so can't comment on how effective it is, but I'm giving consideration to it as I would like to install the Hema maps app, to my ipad & iphone ($178) and use as our primary navigations system.
AnswerID: 491820

Follow Up By: katepaul - Friday, Aug 17, 2012 at 14:32

Friday, Aug 17, 2012 at 14:32
Hi Robert
I would like to know how the ipad and maps work, is it instead of a GPS. do you need the internet when travelling to access maps. Any help would be much appreciated.
thanks kate
FollowupID: 768650

Follow Up By: Robert H2 - Monday, Aug 20, 2012 at 13:07

Monday, Aug 20, 2012 at 13:07
Katepaul,
Yes we use the iPad and iPhone with Hema 4WD Australia maps app as our navigation system when touring i.e. instead of a conventional GPS unit. The app (Hema maps) costs about $150 and you can have it on the both the iphone and ipad. We take the phone when we are bush walking, but use both in the car (each with a difference screen.
The map system in the ipad and iphone use satellites so it nor necessary to have phone connection i.e. be hooked to Telstra (or whoever is your provider).
I would point out that the hema maps is specifically for country and especially remote tracks and trails. it does not have city road and streets.
FollowupID: 768821

Follow Up By: katepaul - Tuesday, Aug 21, 2012 at 15:07

Tuesday, Aug 21, 2012 at 15:07
Hi Robert
Sounds good what you say but can you clarify for me ,
How does it access the satelites has it got a built in gps, or is it the 3G sim card,
does it cost money to use like a mobile phone would and can you charge it by 12 volt, when accessing the internet is that the only charge you need to pay
or do you need a plan like they have for phones
thanks kate
FollowupID: 768919

Follow Up By: Robert H2 - Wednesday, Aug 22, 2012 at 21:43

Wednesday, Aug 22, 2012 at 21:43
Kate,

The iphone and ipad come with maps. Maps uses satellites to establish your location. This is what constitutes a global positioning system (GPS). Most navigation systems use the satellite system to determine your location. Essentially the phone receives a signal from a number of satellites and uses this information to calculate your position. You do not have to pay for this service (it's probable covered in the price you pay for the phone).

The 3G sim card receives data from a telephone company wireless system i.e. all those towers you see on hills and buildings. These systems are owned by Telstra and Optus. This phone system does not cover all of Australia but the satellite system does. Access to the internet is most commonly available via you phone provider. As you have recognized you have to pay for this service.

Essentially the telephone systems are a completely different system to the satellites.

To charge the ipad and iphone while in the car I purchased a cigarette plug from JB Hi Fi (less than $20). It has a USB point which you plug the cable from you ph into. It charges both devices fine.

One thing you need to be aware of is when using the GPS you usually need to have the receiver (your phone or ipad) near the window. If you had it in the middle of the back seat you may not get a consistent signal.

Good luck with what you do

Rob
FollowupID: 769021

Follow Up By: katepaul - Thursday, Aug 23, 2012 at 20:31

Thursday, Aug 23, 2012 at 20:31
Rob
Thanks for all this usefull info wil put it to good use
thanks kate
FollowupID: 769086

Reply By: Michaeljp - Saturday, Jul 28, 2012 at 17:59

Saturday, Jul 28, 2012 at 17:59
Ive been using a Garmin Nuvi 760 with Garmin topo maps for the past 6 or 7 years and ive travelled all over Australia with it and never gotten lost using it.
AnswerID: 491836

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Sunday, Jul 29, 2012 at 12:16

Sunday, Jul 29, 2012 at 12:16
Coming from a bushwalking/ski touring background, I found Garmin's Topo Aus v. 2 lacking in detail, with no shortage of errors and inconsistencies, and overall I wouldn't rely on it for critical nav.

Later versions may be better. 4 is due to come out soon.
FollowupID: 767484

Follow Up By: Michaeljp - Sunday, Jul 29, 2012 at 19:31

Sunday, Jul 29, 2012 at 19:31
Sigmund,
i think your talking about OzTopo, yes its full of errors. Garmin Topo is a totaly different programe and very good.
FollowupID: 767515

Sponsored Links