exmouth 4wd

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 29, 2012 at 11:14
ThreadID: 97143 Views:4510 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Does anyone know what the track is like from the learmouth areodome to sandy bay is like. Ive been told you may need a permit to use it.
Also the long track from the back of the defence reserve on ningaloo road to ningaloo station. Maps are from aus 4wd. I will be traveling from the exmouth townsite down to ningaloo station in a patrol towing a campertrailer and was wandering the time diference between that and using the main road.
Any knowledge on these tracks would be great.
cheers trev
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ReCon - Sunday, Jul 29, 2012 at 14:15

Sunday, Jul 29, 2012 at 14:15
G'day Trev & Ness B,

From hearsay only, the Learmonth to Sandy Bay track is fine , but rough on the other side of the Cape at the end of the track towards Sandy bay.

From what I was told , it would not be a good choice to tow the camper trailer as there are parts of the run where the track is narrow and has steeper drop offs to deal with…

Re Ninglaoo Stn , take the main road and then explore once you have set up camp at the Stn , as I am not sure if you plan to camp at the Yardie Creek end or Coral bay end to advise any further.

It is just easier and better for your fuel usage to take the easy way and then have fun without the trailer in tow.

Permit wise , I have not heard of anyone needing one , but give the terrorist bureau a call once you arrive and find out.
Alternatively ,drop into the CALM or whatever they are this week office and get the info from them.
AnswerID: 491872

Reply By: Gotlost - Sunday, Jul 29, 2012 at 14:19

Sunday, Jul 29, 2012 at 14:19
hi Trev, i know that track well from Learmonth to Sandy Bay, driven it many times, u dont need a permit to drive it, its a basic 4 wheel drive track, was up there back in May measuring out the distance, rough in some places, the worst part of the track is going down the other side opposite Sandy Bay, one bit of advise make sure u have a map of the area as there are a few tracks that lead off this particular track that will get u lost, take ur time and enjoy it, im going to be walking it the last weekend of August, u have me confused about the other track u mentioned, is that the road from Coral Bay to Yardie Creek? The only other road i can think of is one that crosses the Cape Range, east to west, goes through the Bombing Range which is not allowed due to obvious reasons.
AnswerID: 491873

Follow Up By: Gotlost - Sunday, Jul 29, 2012 at 14:23

Sunday, Jul 29, 2012 at 14:23
one more piece of advise Trev dont think to tow a Camper Van up there, and forget going to see DEC (CALM) this track is not advertised at all so going to see them will only get them thinking of how they can stop people from using it.

Cheers
Mark
FollowupID: 767496

Follow Up By: Trev&Ness B - Sunday, Jul 29, 2012 at 15:10

Sunday, Jul 29, 2012 at 15:10
the other track runs from near ningaloo station in a nth east direction and meets up with minilya exmouth road about 35 kms sth of the areodome. the track also vears of to the defence zone.
FollowupID: 767500

Follow Up By: Gotlost - Sunday, Jul 29, 2012 at 17:35

Sunday, Jul 29, 2012 at 17:35
never heard of that track Trev
FollowupID: 767507

Reply By: Member - John Baas (WA) - Monday, Jul 30, 2012 at 20:26

Monday, Jul 30, 2012 at 20:26
I tried to do it two years ago, but there were defense exercises on at the time.

The guard at the front of the Base gave us the go ahead to get around the back to the start of the track, but as we approached it there was a tremendous roar in the bush 100 M ahead of us, a tank appeared, levelling the cannon right at the windshield.

Then six sappers started crouch walking towards us rifles pointed at the same spot. These guys were very serious and it took ten minutes to clear us to beat a retreat.

A comms stuff up, obviously.

Wife not overly impressed, having previously suggested that I give the whole thing a miss. I had said, what could go wrong, the punter out the front said I was 'good to go...' One of the highlights of my trip tho :-). Unfortunately, I wasn't game to try taking an image or two...
AnswerID: 491945

Sponsored Links