Hema Navigator HN6

I have read a number of archived threads on this forum talking about the HN6 Hema Navigator and would be very interested in any updates from people who bought this when first released.
I am in the situation right now where I use a TomTom GoLive 825 for normal city navigation, but also use a 12" laptop running OziExplorer and Hema Maps, connected to a Mouse GPS to give me the big picture and record my travelled tracks when on the road.
Based on what I have read in various forums, reviews and User Guides, the HN6 should be able to give me the same (or very similar) functionality in a single device and with LESS CABLING!
So, for those of you who have used this GPS now for some months - does it give you value for money and does it have any weak points I should be aware of?
Cheers
Lea
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Jul 29, 2012 at 14:25

Sunday, Jul 29, 2012 at 14:25
Hi Lea

We upgraded from our great HN5 when the new HN6 was first released a number of months ago.

The iGo for city driving on the new HN6 is as good as any other street navigation around, where as the old HN5 had Route 66 which I did not like at all.

The OziExplorer is as it always is, fantastic. The only backward step in my books is the use of the Hema 1:250k mapping, while very good and far superior to a lot of other Topographical Maps, not as good as the Natmap series of 1:250k mapping that came with my original HN5. This was a very easy and simple task of copping the Natmap folder from the HN5 and adding it to the HN6, so now I have the best of both worlds with both forms of map detail.

The new HN6 when connected to the laptop, it lets you transfer data very easy, just as you would do with the standard OziExplorer and a GPS. The new bigger screen is fantastic and it is quite surprising what the extra 1" makes.

I have no hesitations in recommending the new HN6 and as with all their products, you do get what you pay for and from the moment that you turn the unit on they are dead easy to use.

I do still use a small 10" Netbook for Mapping data, which I use for other various reason. But to answer your original question, for stand alone single use units, the the HN6 is by far the best way to go.

If you make the wise decision and do go ahead and buy one, you will not regret your purchase.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 491874

Follow Up By: Lea and Rick (QLD) - Sunday, Jul 29, 2012 at 18:42

Sunday, Jul 29, 2012 at 18:42
Thanks for your input Stephen, it has really helped me make a decision.
Cheers
FollowupID: 767511

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Sunday, Jul 29, 2012 at 14:59

Sunday, Jul 29, 2012 at 14:59
Lea,

I am a fan of the Hema Navigator, but also use a TomTom GoLive 720, so don't chuck, or dispose of yours yet.

Even though the latest models of the Hema Navigator use iGo for voice guided street navigation, you cannot run it concurrently with OziExplorer.

When I go on a trip, as well as the moving map capability displaying where I am at any given time, I also save the track created for future reference.
If you wish to run the street navigation app, you first need to shut down OziExplorer and thus lose part of the trip recorded. This is the only negative I have with the Hema.

Tomtom is one of the best voice guided street navigation devices around and I have found it works well on many country trips as well.
So I run both at the same time.

As both units are self contained, you will only have two power cables to contend with.
No big deal in my book.
And yes, I believe the Hema Navigator gives value for money.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 491875

Follow Up By: Lea and Rick (QLD) - Sunday, Jul 29, 2012 at 18:45

Sunday, Jul 29, 2012 at 18:45
Hi Bill, thanks for your comments. Especially about the change from iGO to Ozi and back again (losing continuity of tracks!). I think we'll probably do as you advise and hang onto TomTom when I make the jump.
Cheers
FollowupID: 767512

Reply By: River Swaggie - Sunday, Jul 29, 2012 at 20:05

Sunday, Jul 29, 2012 at 20:05
If you've upgraded from the HN5 to the new HN6,be aware this upgrade for a boost in specs has come at quite a cost...From having 4 hours battery HN5 you have only approx 2 hours for the HN6 now ,So if you take it out your vehicle and walk in dense bush make sure its no longer than 2 hours...

If you just need it in-vehicle it will make no diff,but will on a motorbike.
AnswerID: 491887

Sponsored Links