Cup and Plate Rack for motorhome storage?

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 29, 2012 at 19:21
ThreadID: 97153 Views:8371 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
We're looking for ways to store our dinner ware in our motorhome we're building.
We've come across this storage rack from CAMEC that will fit 4 sets of plates, cups, saucers and bowls.

Anyone used it? Is it suitable?

Also, we'd be looking for dinner sets to go along with it. Looking at most caravan dinner sets they're melamine and thus not microwave safe. Any recommendations?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member-Heather MG NSW - Sunday, Jul 29, 2012 at 20:01

Sunday, Jul 29, 2012 at 20:01
I use corelle dinnerware...it is microwave safe and seems quite sturdy. We have been over thousands of kms of corrugated and rough dirt roads. The plates and bowls just sit in a drawer (lined with anti slip mat) in the van stored one on top of the other with no damage.

regards,

Heather
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 491886

Reply By: racinrob - Sunday, Jul 29, 2012 at 20:12

Sunday, Jul 29, 2012 at 20:12
In many years of outback travel we're still using our original set of "Corelle" plates and bowls, four of each, sure we've broken a couple but only thru dropping them. We carry them in a plastic slide-out drawer, on their edge (standing up) on some of that thin plastic "Non Slip" material and put a tea towel or foam in front to stop or limit movement. Hope this helps.

rr VKE237 Sel6678
AnswerID: 491888

Follow Up By: Ian & Sue - Sunday, Jul 29, 2012 at 21:42

Sunday, Jul 29, 2012 at 21:42
Another vote for the Correlle - we too have travelled many thousands of kilometres on some pretty rough and non-existent roads with our caravan and have yet to have a chip or break.

Sue
Karratha WA
FollowupID: 767523

Reply By: Ian & Sue - Sunday, Jul 29, 2012 at 21:46

Sunday, Jul 29, 2012 at 21:46
I bought one of those for our new caravan thinking it would "tidy things up". What a waste of money it was, unless I weren't using it correctily it seemed that everything slipped everywhere and the cups just didn't fit at all. You are welcome to have my one if you are closeby to collect. :-)

Maybe someone else might put me straight on the correct way to load one of those racks. We find that correlle plates stacked with a non-slip mat between the different sizes works fine for on-road. When off road I throw a large towel in the plate cupboard and that stops any bounce - works great for us.

Sue
Karratha WA
AnswerID: 491898

Reply By: Member - Alastair D (NSW) - Monday, Jul 30, 2012 at 09:26

Monday, Jul 30, 2012 at 09:26
I support the previous comments. Having made mistakes over the years in fitting out vehicles and a camper trailer the rule I think you should always follow is the old 'keep it simple' rule. Buying racks or gadgets is rarely worth the extra weight & space. Put things in spaces where there is little space to move and pad them with something you already need eg tea towel. If necessary make a simple divider from plywood to stop things moving in a drawer.
cheers
AnswerID: 491915

Reply By: Caravan & RV World - Monday, Jul 30, 2012 at 11:26

Monday, Jul 30, 2012 at 11:26
Hi Guys,

We have plenty of storage ideas here!

http://www.caravanandrvworld.com.au/Accessories/kitchenware-and-appliances

We would love to help.

C&RVW
AnswerID: 491922

Sponsored Links