Campsite cleanliness

Submitted: Monday, Jul 30, 2012 at 18:04
ThreadID: 97161 Views:2525 Replies:6 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
We have been on the road for 14 week snow and thoroughly enjoying every moment of it,except fot one thing. That one thing is the amount of toilet paper and associated items left un buried or not burnt in some of the nicest places you could expect to camp. We have put the gloves on and picked uP and burnt countless pieces of paper and other rubbish. You wonder what condition the houses and backyards of some people are like. We have seen some school trip teachers telling the students "boys over there and girls over here" and off they go with no shovels or spades to bury their bodily product. The worst place was the free camp halfway between Curtin Springs and Kings Canyon, a well setup stop with a sandhills behind it covered with used loo paper. Is there an answer to this problem?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Monday, Jul 30, 2012 at 18:39

Monday, Jul 30, 2012 at 18:39
Hi Dave,

Good on you for cleaning up. Sadly there are plenty of people travelling who just dont seem to care or to know how to do the right thing - its not difficult. You would hope though that school groups would be given some proper instruction and even supervision?

There was a similar thread about 10 days ago - have a look here

I suggest that the easiest solution is for everyone who "goes bush" to do so armed with a ziplock plastic bag into which ALL paper (including wetwipes) is placed for later disposal or burning. Is that too difficult?

Cheers,

Val.
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 491939

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Monday, Jul 30, 2012 at 18:41

Monday, Jul 30, 2012 at 18:41
Oops, got the link a bit wrong. Have a look here

Val.
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 767552

Follow Up By: PJR (NSW) - Monday, Jul 30, 2012 at 19:54

Monday, Jul 30, 2012 at 19:54
Exactly why we bought a portable loo. Nice and clean and hygeinic. And with the growing proliferation of caravan parks etc it is easy tdispose of properly. And we dont mind paying in the slightest.

I have one of those things for picking up rubbish from a distance. I don't even have to bend over either. Amazing what a five minute walk will accumulate and then the campsight is clean.

I make a habit of recording and reporting number plates and would take great pleasure in springing a school bus load, with ignorant teachers/guides. Maybe John Laws would be a better addrssee.
FollowupID: 767554

Follow Up By: Crackles - Monday, Jul 30, 2012 at 23:09

Monday, Jul 30, 2012 at 23:09
"I suggest that the easiest solution is for everyone who "goes bush" to do so armed with a ziplock plastic bag"
Just wondering were all these soiled plastic bags then go Val? Surely not into pit toilets, septic tanks or garbage bins. Thinking digging a hole where possible so it can break down naturally would be the easiest & sustainable solution.
The Portaloo is certainly the answer PJ particually in busy areas. I think for many they have a phobia about storing & handling the waste so wont even consider the idea. I know my wife has never emptied one :-))
Cheers Craig..............
FollowupID: 767573

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Tuesday, Jul 31, 2012 at 00:59

Tuesday, Jul 31, 2012 at 00:59
The problem that remains with burying the paper is if its dug up by an animal before it has a chance to decompose.
It then ends up scattered and our problem remains.

Portaloo is great or dispose of the paper stuff in ways other than burying it as discussed is my view.

VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 767577

Follow Up By: PJR (NSW) - Tuesday, Jul 31, 2012 at 08:27

Tuesday, Jul 31, 2012 at 08:27
Before the portaloo the Minister used to bring the bag/s home and dispose of them both in the loo and in the rubbish bin. And not the recyclable one either!!!

5 days, but who's counting!!!
FollowupID: 767588

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Monday, Jul 30, 2012 at 19:02

Monday, Jul 30, 2012 at 19:02
I agree with David on this and have also posted about this disgusting behavior before on here.
Education is the only real way to deal with this matter and you won't always score a win either.
But we need to try and so long as each of us who reads this does the right thing then we are starting to win the battle.

I recently did a change to our method of disposing of toilet paper and the associated wet ones.
A bit like what John describes above with his zip lock bag but we use a simple brown paper lunch bag instead.
You buy them for about $2- for a hundred or so from the supermarket and instead of trying to burn the paper etc in the hole before filling it in, stuff the paper and wet ones in the brown paper bag, bury the remaining bodily waste properly and then put the paper bag in the rubbish bag carried like most others do on the rear wheel carrier.

In my rear rubbish bag I simply have two garbage bags, one is the burn bag the other is not which contains can's, tins, bottles etc stuff that you would obviously not burn but dump in a proper bin in the next town etc.
You could even use two different colored garbage bags if you wanted to make it even easier to distinguish which was which.

The burn bag is simply emptied every night at a suitable time that a fire is available and the contents gone!!
Or if I come into a town etc then it too will go into proper disposal bin.

Everyone knows what is in those brown paper bags on the trip and deals with them accordingly. No smell or issues.

Its a simple easy system, cost is almost nothing, effort required is next to nothing, no hassle, easy as and the results to our camp areas is easy to see!!

Traveled for many weeks at a time doing this and works well.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 491940

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Monday, Jul 30, 2012 at 19:03

Monday, Jul 30, 2012 at 19:03
Oops!! that should have been "Val describes above". :((

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 767553

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Monday, Jul 30, 2012 at 21:37

Monday, Jul 30, 2012 at 21:37
Thanks John!

Cheers,

Val
J and V
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 767568

Follow Up By: Member - KYLE S - Tuesday, Jul 31, 2012 at 12:36

Tuesday, Jul 31, 2012 at 12:36
Rubbish is a problem every where. Particularly take away food containers/wrappers and empty cans and bottles in the metro area. And of course the issues raised in this thread in the bush.
Clearly it is because of the "I am alright Jack someone else will clean it up" attitude of far to many.
The frustrating thing is that you could educate these folk till you are blue in the face but to no avail.
Perhaps a strong Government might introduce the Singapore solution. Cleanest place I ever did go.
FollowupID: 767607

Reply By: Member - eighty matey - Monday, Jul 30, 2012 at 20:38

Monday, Jul 30, 2012 at 20:38
I can only think that educating a lot people through their kids.

If the schools that take part in camping and travelling like David saw taught the kids about bush toilet etiquette it would become hbit in the kids.

I know I was taught young. Now doing the right thing is just what I do and we've taught our kids.

Maybe if we do what we can to teach someone that will help a bit, if we can contact heaps of people that would be better.

Steve
AnswerID: 491947

Reply By: Mad Habits - Tuesday, Jul 31, 2012 at 12:04

Tuesday, Jul 31, 2012 at 12:04
Maybe you should collect a sample from every pile you see and have it DNA tested then you can track the dirty mongrels down:-)

A pig's a pig, you can't change it - like someone emptying a black water tank into the environment - a pig's a pig they won't change!
Lets face it even if you saw one of those knuckle dragging Neanderthals doing it you would probably just say "nice day for it isn't it" and walk away thinking "you dirty pig!"

I will say I have been on the road since October and have not come across the problem yet - maybe there's no knuckle dragging pigs where we have been.

Cheers!
AnswerID: 491975

Reply By: Steve M1 (NSW) - Tuesday, Jul 31, 2012 at 19:55

Tuesday, Jul 31, 2012 at 19:55
Funny, how random this stuff can be. Recent camps at Inskip were disgusting, yet twice running, after Easter hols at Sheepyard Flat, we went in and there was hardly a scrap of rubbish and no sign of "bunting" around the trees and bushes. I know Sheepyard had been chokka for the Vic hols but we went in afterwards and it was a credit to the campers who'd been in there.
AnswerID: 492001

Reply By: dazren - Wednesday, Aug 01, 2012 at 19:17

Wednesday, Aug 01, 2012 at 19:17
Yep seen it many times myself, it cannot be completely obliterated, some pigs, will always be pigs ?? However i blame a Lot of it on the ''wizzbanger'' brigade, they are supplied with the basic camping requirements, only ?? in my opinion it should be Law, that the are supplied with a port-a-pote, or at least a small shovel and some litrature telling of the importance of keeping freecamp area's clean, I am sure that a lot [ not all ] of the wizzbangers would follow our camping ettiquette, if they were made aware of the seriousness of the problem. Unless it is pointed out to them ?? I don't think it crosses thier mindset ?? I like the vast majority of regular travellers, leave a campsite much cleaner than when we arrived
AnswerID: 492038

Sponsored Links