Well, I am going to do it so there..

Yes I am going to TURBO the 100 series, but which turbo??
Yes I know it has been here before , but that was yesterday, I'm talking TODAY.

Scenario:- 2004 105 series diesel standard wagon 1HF motor 126,000klm's (just run in) Towing a 1.5 ton off road camper.

Plan:- Turbo, inter cooler with thermo fan from 4x4 Country, Beaudesert 3" exhaust, Dyno tune before and after and Pyrometer gauge fitted.

All I want is:- to be able to sit on 115 to 120 kls per hour and stay there. I don't want to blow the pistons out the bottom and I don't need to give young blokes erotic thoughts with exhaust serenades. (but then again... what could that do for me...... no no, be series Noel).

BUT which turbo, is my dilemma. Been quoted a CT 26 that is supposed to be made for and used by Toyota, but it is it made in Japan or...shudder...China !!?

So, is there an expert amongst us that can offer some advice as to which turbo would suit my situation? It will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Noel K.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Drew - Karratha - Monday, Jul 30, 2012 at 21:51

Monday, Jul 30, 2012 at 21:51
I think the Mitsubishi turbo goes well with the 1HZ (not sure of the model though) Have a good look through LCOOL as there is heaps of specific info on exactly what you want.... Or put a 1HDFTE engine into it.... Also check out Safari intercoolers
AnswerID: 491951

Follow Up By: Member - Noel K (NT) - Monday, Jul 30, 2012 at 22:12

Monday, Jul 30, 2012 at 22:12
Thanks Drew,

Yes spoke to a bloke up here about the Mitsubishi just today but very expensive, as they all are up here, why... is part of the dilemma.

I am also a member of LCOOL and agree that there is good advice, but which one and where are they made is the worry.

How is Karratha these days? Worked there as a carpenter in the early seventies. Just love the name of the Island off the coast there....heeee.

Noel K.
FollowupID: 767570

Reply By: Kimba10 - Monday, Jul 30, 2012 at 22:08

Monday, Jul 30, 2012 at 22:08
I know I'm going to refer to a different vehicle but when I had my 2.8D hilux I went through the same thing. Oil cooled ?? water cooled ?? both ?? switzer turbo, garrett turbo, etc. In the end I didn't bother, firstly as I was pretty much convinced by folk on here that I would be wasting my $$. I was going to get it done by a mob called Turboglide down near Woolongong and spoke to a bloke by the name Of Mick (very nice people may I say) they answered my 100 questions.

They said the system they would put on mine would be for touring purposes, so wouldnt be real quick off the mark but would be ideal for towing and cruising (which is what I was after for towing my camper). My mate had the switzer (spelling) water and oil cooled, went like the clappers of the mark but ran out of puff at higher speeds (didnt see the point myself in that).

I was speaking to a bloke the other day who had his 100 done, he said he loves it, can cruise at highway speeds now, tows his boat with a lot more ease BUT says his fuel usage has gone over the top now, and he has had everything checked. He had injectors done at the same time as turbo, filters etc and he said his fuel usage has gone from 14/15L per 100 (cruising/freeway/not towing) to 20L per 100.

He said the turbo was supposed to help it become more economical. He thought at first was due to having the extra grunt and was using it so he drove it like he use to, short gear changes, dont rev it past 2800 etc and he said its made no difference, still drinking it, he said its had a (I think this is the correct name) but a compensator put on it ?? to try and rectify the problem. It wasnt done by Turboglide but some one else (he did mention name).

He's since had the pump done loves the power, very dissapointed in economy. Maybe some one else on here who has had it done will have a better outcome ?? for the same vehicle....................
AnswerID: 491952

Follow Up By: Member - Noel K (NT) - Monday, Jul 30, 2012 at 23:19

Monday, Jul 30, 2012 at 23:19
Thanks Kimba 10,

Yes it is a bit of a worry when you just don't no for sure, and there are plenty on the market that will say, that theirs will blow your jocks...no socks yeah, socks, off.

Noel K.
FollowupID: 767575

Reply By: jacent - Tuesday, Jul 31, 2012 at 00:31

Tuesday, Jul 31, 2012 at 00:31
Hi Noel, I had my 2002 standard 100 series 1hz turboed at 230,000km. The company I got mine done at was MTQ who are australia wide so if you have any dramas they are around.It was set up on the dyno before and after. The kit they installed is a dts which is the mitsubishi turbo.
I dont have an intercooler as i was recommended not to get one by the company and havent had a drama. but do have a mandrel bent exhaust and one straight through muffler. The power and torque increase was amazing, I overtake road trains with my 26ft jayco hooked on the back. easily get to and maintain 120km /ph without van, however i believe you could achieve this with the van but it would be chewing the fuel and dangerous! not to mention risking stuffing 5th gear.
The car has done 275,000 now and have not had an issue turbo wise. Very good kit, only thing with the mitsubishi is it has no turbo whistle at all so unless you looked under the bonnet you would think it was standard by sound of the motor ( apart from the exhaust). My mate had a garret turbo on his and also very good, it has the turbo whistle noise which some people like, but these are the top two from my research when I got mine done.. Go for it!
Fuel before and after I found the same no more or less. Once i fitted 33 inch muddies and lifted it fuel went from 13.8 to around 14.8 to 16 roughly and with the van it uses around 20 -22 ltr per 100km towing in fourth gear doing 90 - 95 km per hour. I have never had to down shift past fourth on any hill in w.a or vic with my big van on, I guess you could say if your normally in third up a steep hill, after the turbo you would be a gear up so fourth no worries or fifth ect...
AnswerID: 491955

Follow Up By: Member - Noel K (NT) - Tuesday, Jul 31, 2012 at 07:26

Tuesday, Jul 31, 2012 at 07:26
Thanks Jacent,

Good reply. We have MTQ here in Darwin but unfortunately, they are so much dearer than south. Mitsubishi has been mentioned to me a few times now.

I wonder why they don't recommend the intercooler. The only reason I am thinking of fitting one is to try and keep the ETG down, but then if it is getting more air rammed in, then is it in fact, over stressing the engine?

Oh no... not another dilemma.

Noel K.
FollowupID: 767585

Reply By: Member - Rob K (VIC) - Tuesday, Jul 31, 2012 at 10:12

Tuesday, Jul 31, 2012 at 10:12
G'day Noel K,

I've had my HZJ105 GXL turboed with a Garrett water cooled unit for about 4 years now and have had no issues with it - done about 85,000km since installation. Vehicle now has 165,000 on the clock. Unit was supplied and fitted by AXT Turbo in Melbourne (a long way away from NT I know) and added a 2.5 inch mandrel bent exhaust at the same time. Setup was ideal for cruising with a slow wind-up by the turbo but power comes on around 1800-2000rpm which is the sweet spot for the 1HZ motor torque wise. Fuel economy was unchanged after fitting the turbo - around 13l/100kms.

Fitted an intercooler (air over water), EGT and boost gauge about 12 months ago to boost the power again because I added steel rear bar, 32 inch tyres and had added a fair bit of extra weight to the vehicle over time and it was not performing quite as well as before and I'm now towing a C/T around. Performance back to previous levels if not a little better but fuel economy is now around 16l/100kms which has reduced my range a fair bit. I had the turbo/intercooler combination re-tuned on a dyno by MTQ and I think they have set the fuel pump settings for power rather than economy. Boost has gone from 6-8lbs pre-intercooler to 13-15lbs post intercooler installation. AXT had set the pump and turbo for cruising economy as it was highway cruising and overtaking ability I wanted improved from the stock standard motor.

I haven't regretted getting the turbo installed in the Cruiser as its improved the old 1HZ motor significantly. My suggestion would be to speak with a few turbo installers and ask them about power vs economy and which turbo would best suit your needs. As I understand it, there are differences depending on application. I would recommend the water cooled version over the oil cooled because of better temperature management. Remember to always allow the engine and turbo to cool down after being worked hard before turning the engine off - turbo timer might help in this regard but I haven't installed one.

Hope the above helps.

Cheers

Rob K
AnswerID: 491970

Follow Up By: Member - Noel K (NT) - Tuesday, Jul 31, 2012 at 17:19

Tuesday, Jul 31, 2012 at 17:19
Thanks Rob,

Spoke with MTQ today and they recommend Mitsubishi or Garrett.

I'm certainly no expert but what I am hearing is that the boost should be kept around 8 to 10 PSI to stop the non turbo pistons cracking.

Thanks again mate.

Regards,

Noel K.

FollowupID: 767626

Follow Up By: jacent - Thursday, Aug 02, 2012 at 06:55

Thursday, Aug 02, 2012 at 06:55
hey noel, I fitted an arb turbo timer to mine, very easy install, my boost has been set at 12 pound
FollowupID: 767698

Follow Up By: Life Member - Doug T (NT) - Friday, Aug 03, 2012 at 00:26

Friday, Aug 03, 2012 at 00:26
Hello way up there in good country...
That Garrett Turbo.... does it have any connection to Peter... if it does it'll blow up.

I have trouble keeping up with you at the best of times on the Stuart or down Fenton Airstrip, I won't have a ghost of a chance if you turbo the beast..

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 767775

Reply By: Member - DingoBlue(WA) - Tuesday, Jul 31, 2012 at 15:13

Tuesday, Jul 31, 2012 at 15:13
Noel,
Have recently purchased a 105 series with 1HZ engine and after market turbo (105,00km). Not sure of make of turbo but can see DTS cast into inlet pipe.
There is no intercooler fitted, no EGT guage and what looks like a std exhaust.
There is plenty of power, and for those of you who know Greenmount Hill in WA, you can drive up in 5th gear and accelerate! (Bit different to my faithful old 60 series) No turbo whistle either.
I don't know if any of the above info is of use to you, but my reason for posting is the fuel consumption figures others have been getting. I have been keeping accurate records over the last three tanks and have averaged 12l/100k, 11.93l/100k, and 12.26l/100k. All of this running has been short trips, up and down the hill, around town and the occasional tow of trailer and boat.
It appears to me that you must be very clear about the type of performance you're looking for when installing a turbo as the variance in fuel consumption figures posted, can only be due to the settings of the turbo and fuel pump. (Apart from such variables as 'lead foot', overloading etc.).
My old 60 series averaged 15.4l/100k so I was pleasantly surprised with the 105's economy and increased performance.
Rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 491985

Follow Up By: Member - Noel K (NT) - Tuesday, Jul 31, 2012 at 17:30

Tuesday, Jul 31, 2012 at 17:30
Hey DingoBlue,

Thanks for your comments mate.

Yes I do know Greenmount and to be able to do it in 5th is great.

I was battling at Xmas time to get over the Adelaide hills in SECOND!!! Thought I was going to have to put the hubs in there for awhile to stop rolling back to Adelaide. LOL.

Regards,

Noel K.
FollowupID: 767627

Reply By: 222 - Wednesday, Aug 01, 2012 at 14:25

Wednesday, Aug 01, 2012 at 14:25
Hi I had a Schwitzer (think that's right spelling) blower fitted to my '98 Triton 2.8l diesel some years ago. The motor's now done 195k kilometers. The fitting was done by DENCO here in Adelaide.

It has worked flawlessly and gave me extra power - however it had soooo little to start with anything would have been a major improvement!

I don't know what it gives in thingamijiggs/dowappadiddys but it:

1.improved performance by a noticeable amount - could use 4th when I'd gone down to 3rd before etc; and

2.didn't wreck my motor

I was impressed with DENCO too. They put it on a rolling road after fitting it and gave me the actual figures on a graph. They also cleaned the sump whilst it was out and the refitting of everything was immaculate.

I don't 1. own/have shares in Denco/Schwitzer and 2. I'm not related to anyone there.

Hope it all works as well as mine

Geo
AnswerID: 492024

Sponsored Links