Review: SPOT 2

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 31, 2012 at 15:41
ThreadID: 97181 Views:2397 Replies:8 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived

My Shop Item Rating: My Rating 3/5

They say that Spot ain't much good and the cost $149.95 per year to run it is expensive, well considering a RFDS radio is close to $3500.00 to buy then also be a member costs what a hundred a year, Spot cost $217.00, 149.95 plus 49.00, for tracking and seeing at a glance on a computer family can see where you are, I think the Spot overrides the Radio, but for communication ok there great, friends of mine have them and there great
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Berylvt - Tuesday, Jul 31, 2012 at 16:16

Tuesday, Jul 31, 2012 at 16:16
If you get Spot connect you have messaging capability for communication. Just like txt messaging only via satellite. You also have a GPS emergency beacon which you don't have with radio.
AnswerID: 491990

Reply By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Tuesday, Jul 31, 2012 at 16:53

Tuesday, Jul 31, 2012 at 16:53
Hi Rod

That's fine and it suites you to a tee.

We have emergency comms for just that. An emergency.

If I break a leg or take ill then I need to talk to the doctor/nurse so that he/she can advise me what to do. Soon I hope to have a device which sits over my heart and then the doctor can connect to my pacemaker and see what's ticking. That is why we got the satellite phone. For two way full duplex comms. A spot would be somewhat lacking in telling me how to set a leg so not to get gangreen etc. I do not have a reliable immune system because of the chemo.

We don't have the slightest interest in chatting. The family can look after themselves. Don't want the internet either.

The satellite phone can also send out GPS location to any email addresss I wish. Two button pushes, select or wnter the adressee and press "Send".

A once off subsidised purchase of around $450 and a fee of about 50c per email. Who cares about the cost of an emergency call. Handy to order the delivery of a new shock absorber also. No monthly fees. Just bung some prepaid in before a trip. Current prepaid balance lasts for two years.

SPOT may be good for you but we need the satellite phone.
AnswerID: 491993

Reply By: olcoolone - Tuesday, Jul 31, 2012 at 18:06

Tuesday, Jul 31, 2012 at 18:06
I don't think Spot should be compared to a HF Radio.....two totally different beasts.

A GPS enabled GME PLB costs around $360 and nothing for the next 7 years, I know what I would sooner have in an emergency.... plus you don't have to worry about the AA battery's going flat.... or some one using them for something else and forgetting to replace them!

A Spot will not tell you road conditions and you can't have an active roll in the scheds... with a HF Radio help may be only the next dune away.

It is SO reassuring to speak to someone in an emergency and not wait in silence hoping (they will be here soon... wont they?)

When talking about safety devices I don't think money should come into it.... you life is only worth $415.95 and not $3500.00.... all I know is my life is worth more them both by a long shot.

But I have to applaud you on having some form of semi reliable safety device and not just a cheap 1w handheld UHF and a dodgy Vodafone mobile.

By the way we have a Spot and it's good for people to keep track of you, it's great on my endurance/adventure motorbike.
AnswerID: 491994

Follow Up By: aboutfivebucks (Pilbara) - Tuesday, Jul 31, 2012 at 19:41

Tuesday, Jul 31, 2012 at 19:41
Do you also have a portable defibrillator in your first aid kit?

Where do you draw the line on how much to spend on emergency / life saving gadgets?

FollowupID: 767642

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Thursday, Aug 02, 2012 at 17:36

Thursday, Aug 02, 2012 at 17:36
I think that's a bit of a stupid question..... this is about communications NOT medical equipment, by the way yes we do on remote trips and yes we have a BP monitor to go with it and yes we all have remote first aid training.

Any other questions!

As I said if you think your life is only worth $300 that's fine, only spend $300.... if you value your life more spend more .... simple.
FollowupID: 767741

Reply By: Member - eighty matey - Tuesday, Jul 31, 2012 at 21:08

Tuesday, Jul 31, 2012 at 21:08
We have our Spot for letting family know we're ok and sending for help if we have an emergency.

I reckon it's cost effective for us and gives our families peace of mind.

To each his own.
Steve
AnswerID: 492004

Reply By: The Landy - Wednesday, Aug 01, 2012 at 08:28

Wednesday, Aug 01, 2012 at 08:28
It is important to keep all these devices in context, and the roll they each individually can play.

We have a HF Radio in our vehicle as it is a great form of communication, covering a wide range of applications, from chatting to someone, getting weather, or news, or calling for help in an emergency or assisting in responding to one.

We have an EPIRB which is in the vehicle.

As for SPOT, I purchased one as it can track your travels, something I have found useful as it automatically uploads to sites like Exploroz. I also take it walking as I can pre-program messages I can send as well as having an emergency help button which, if activated, will see Australian authorities notified. I find it a useful device for the initial and ongoing cost.

The HF Radio balances the risk of being exposed to ‘satellite’ only technology, and whilst unlikely to fail, that remains a risk that needs to be managed. Murphy’s Law has a way of appearing just when you least need it to!

Horses for courses, use whatever best suits you and your budget...

Cheers, The Landy
AnswerID: 492013

Reply By: sweetnam - Wednesday, Aug 01, 2012 at 12:52

Wednesday, Aug 01, 2012 at 12:52
We also balance our communication between HF radio and EPRIB. We added the data feature so instead of the spot we can broadcast our gps location via the HF Radio.

We joined VKE-237 which allows data broadcasts so we can SMS and broadcast GPS locations. We are also with VKS-737.

The EPIRB is simply there for any holy s*&t moments.

Others in our club run spots and like their features. The new smart connect spot is reportly quite good and allows sms which is useful.

I notice that the sat phone hasn't been mentioned in this thread yet. Another good option depending on travel. Especially if you can somehow qualify for the govt subsidy (if still available)
AnswerID: 492020

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Wednesday, Aug 01, 2012 at 14:09

Wednesday, Aug 01, 2012 at 14:09
The satellite phone certainly has been mentioned. Have a look at my response at the top. It is the second reply to the thread.

FollowupID: 767674

Reply By: Dennis Ellery - Wednesday, Aug 01, 2012 at 22:18

Wednesday, Aug 01, 2012 at 22:18
Totally agree,
A spot plus a subsidised satellite phone – cost me about $500.
Covers most emergencies – cheap insurance plus able to talk to family or Royal Flying Doctor whilst out of Telstra range.
AnswerID: 492044

Reply By: Member - Rod V (NT) - Thursday, Aug 02, 2012 at 09:21

Thursday, Aug 02, 2012 at 09:21
Wow what a responce, being a pensioner I'm unable to afford a HF radio, so I use a Spot. Its cheaper for me and keeps me family informed of where I am. To me its cheap insurance.
Thanks for all the replys.
Rod
AnswerID: 492053

Sponsored Links