Bunbury to Mt Isa

Submitted: Thursday, Aug 02, 2012 at 13:42
ThreadID: 97206 Views:1400 Replies:1 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
We are planning to drive from Bunbury WA to Mt Isa in early October. We have around 8-10 days for the trip. We have twin goals of getting there less than completely exhausted while seeing a bit of the country along the way. We have 4 wheel drives and are well-equipped for remote camping. What route would people recommend and why? South or North or thru the middle? And what places should we be sure to include? Would love to hear what route others have taken.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Joe n Mel n kids (FNQ - Thursday, Aug 02, 2012 at 14:59

Thursday, Aug 02, 2012 at 14:59
it really depends on what you have already seen and done really but that aside i would got through the middle, you get to see the Olgas and Ayres Rock, you then go to the Stuart Hwy and head up to Alice springs or go to Alice from Ayres Rock via Kings Canyon you then head across the dirt again to Bedourie .... excellent drive and will get you to the Isa..
I think it is on this site here called the Great Central Drive
Cheers
Joe
AnswerID: 492075

Follow Up By: Member - Kevin S (QLD) - Thursday, Aug 02, 2012 at 15:20

Thursday, Aug 02, 2012 at 15:20
If you stick to the black top the distance across the Nullarbor and up the centre to Three Ways and then across the Barclay Highway to Isa is about 4,900 km. Via the Great Central Road and up the Stuart Highway is around 3,850. To do the Plenty Highway instead of the Stuart will not make much difference but will give you about another 600 km of dirt. The Plenty brings you out at Boulia then its sealed all the way to Isa.
If you like remote areas and don't mind dust or mud then it will be a great drive. Definitely more icons to see on the dirt. It would not be much further to travel to Alice Springs from Uluru via Kings Canyon and the Mereenie Loop. You will need permits for parts of the GCR and the Mereenie Loop.
Have a good trip.
Kevin
Kevin
It is important to always maintain a sense of proportion

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 767730

Follow Up By: Life Member - Doug T (NT) - Friday, Aug 03, 2012 at 08:37

Friday, Aug 03, 2012 at 08:37
I have been the Great Central route from Perth to Mt Isa using the Plenty Hwy but turned of near Tobermorey and headed up through Urandangi , Dajarra to Mt Isa.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 767788

Sponsored Links