camper trailer stoves

Submitted: Thursday, Aug 02, 2012 at 17:15
ThreadID: 97210 Views:4596 Replies:8 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

Does anyone recommend getting a stove with their camper trailer or buying their own stove? It is just that I heard the smell of cooked meat can get into the canvas.
I was wondering if we bought our own primus 2 burner stove with gas bottle at least you can move it around and put it on a table near the outside if cooking. Not too sure about any of this, we are hiring this weekend to see if we like the soft floor off road camper and if so may buy one new or second hand. Any clues?

I was also told that lifestyle trailers do have Aussie canvas but send their canvas over seas to be sewn now days. Any clues?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Richard L (VIC) - Thursday, Aug 02, 2012 at 17:46

Thursday, Aug 02, 2012 at 17:46
Hi Julie
Our trailer came with a stove inside, but we only use it in emergencies. We like to cook on the open fire and have bought a variety of equipment to do this. The only time we really cook inside is on the first night when it is a bit late to build a fire. Elly normally does a simple pasta meal to keep the smells down.
Hill-Billy seems to be the best but I'm sure there are other brands that others will recommend.
Sorry but can't help with the canvas question.

Richard
AnswerID: 492083

Reply By: Bushranger1 - Thursday, Aug 02, 2012 at 18:03

Thursday, Aug 02, 2012 at 18:03
G'day Julie,
I bought a Coleman duel fuel stove for our camper trailer & used it every day for 2 years on our trip around Aus.
Real cheap to run on unleaded fuel. Our roll out kitchen was external & it was great to be able to use it on picnic tables or shelters when available as well. Even though I had a diesel 4X4 I just carried a 10L jerry of unleaded for the stove.
Of course you should never run one of these inside the camper.

Cheers
Stu
AnswerID: 492084

Reply By: Member - Arsenal Phill - Thursday, Aug 02, 2012 at 18:34

Thursday, Aug 02, 2012 at 18:34
Our stove/kitchen unit came out from the side of the trailer. We always had the awning up, so it was always enclosed. Although we only had it for 5-6 months, we used it a fair bit and have to say that we never noticed any odours. We did a lot of cooking and always ate well !!!!
The trailer had Aussie canvas but can't give you more info than that.

Hope you sort your dilema.
AnswerID: 492087

Follow Up By: Julie S2 - Thursday, Aug 02, 2012 at 19:26

Thursday, Aug 02, 2012 at 19:26
Thanks for this, any sort of info is invaluable. We are very new at this, always used a tent etc and now just want a change. Must be getting older.
FollowupID: 767747

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Thursday, Aug 02, 2012 at 20:01

Thursday, Aug 02, 2012 at 20:01
Julie,

Our camper also has an external pull out drawer containing a four burner stove and a grill underneath, plus a wash basin next to the stove.

I had had to drill out all the jets on the burners to get a hotter flame. Just boiling a kettle took far longer than my portable Coleman dual burner stove.
Since drilling out the jets, the flame is hotter and the cooking time has come down but with any sort of wind, things tend to turn pear shaped.
The grill makes a good toaster (two slices at a time) but thats about all.

Not overly impressed with the stove.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 492100

Follow Up By: Julie S2 - Thursday, Aug 02, 2012 at 20:17

Thursday, Aug 02, 2012 at 20:17
I was wondering about the wind issue if you have no wall. Anyway I think we would try and get a wind break. However maybe the idea of just a portable stove would be better, that way it can be moved around to suit circumstances. Even the people that build the trailer suggested that.
FollowupID: 767752

Reply By: Member - Judy and Laurie - Thursday, Aug 02, 2012 at 20:41

Thursday, Aug 02, 2012 at 20:41
Hi Julie, we have a camper trailer with a kitchen that comes out of the side also and have owned it for 3 years we always cook on the kitchen with the awning up and sometimes the walls and have no problem with food odours and our stove also comes with a wind shield. Great camper, our last trip was 5 weeks which we did the cape . Our camper is an Aussie Swag off road
cheers Judy and Laurie
AnswerID: 492102

Follow Up By: Julie S2 - Thursday, Aug 02, 2012 at 20:44

Thursday, Aug 02, 2012 at 20:44
Thanks for this,I have heard the Aussie swag is a good trailer and we looked at those , but found they are a little heavy for a Subaru Forester. We are looking at Jimboomba camper trailers. They are a little more expensive than the lifestyle ones, but seem to have a good reputation and it is hard to find a second hand one. They also guarantee the canvas for five years. still second hand would be a good move.
FollowupID: 767755

Follow Up By: Member - Judy and Laurie - Thursday, Aug 02, 2012 at 20:51

Thursday, Aug 02, 2012 at 20:51
Yes I have heard only good reports about Jimboomba campers , Keep looking I'm sure you will find one , good luck and happy travels
Judy and Laurie
FollowupID: 767759

Reply By: p_marns - Thursday, Aug 02, 2012 at 20:51

Thursday, Aug 02, 2012 at 20:51
hi julie, our camper also has a roll out kitchen which we use for boiling the kettle or vegs, but we bought a baby webber to cook our meat and cant recommend it enough.
AnswerID: 492104

Reply By: SDG - Thursday, Aug 02, 2012 at 22:48

Thursday, Aug 02, 2012 at 22:48
My kitchen is on the tail gate. It is basically a big shelf that I have a three burner attached to. Under the awning, cook on it all the time. No odours on the canvas near it.
AnswerID: 492123

Reply By: Member - Berylvt - Friday, Aug 03, 2012 at 10:34

Friday, Aug 03, 2012 at 10:34
Those little butane stoves are very compact and convenient to kove around to where it convenient. Wevhave a roll out stove but rarely use it because we prefer to cook on a campfire. The rollout stove takes up a lo of room. Next time I'll stick with the butane.
AnswerID: 492153

Follow Up By: Bushranger1 - Friday, Aug 03, 2012 at 10:58

Friday, Aug 03, 2012 at 10:58
Only problem with these is you need to keep the Canister from getting too cold. Hopeless in cold weather.
I use one for a quick cuppa on long interstate trips in my car but when I go bush I leave it at home & use the Coleman dual fuel.
Cheers
Stu
FollowupID: 767796

Sponsored Links