Gearbox is in, but windows won't wind up

Submitted: Friday, Aug 03, 2012 at 17:53
ThreadID: 97237 Views:2397 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hello all ..

Have this afternoon put in a new clutch into my 1991 80 Series Landcruiser (Diesel). Gearbox is in and it all works.l Until .....

The windows do not wind up, there are no red warning lights along the dash for things like diff locks etc ...

WE have obviously knocked or disconnecterd a plug along the way, but we cannot find it to save our lives. All fuses are intact.

Any wise 80 series or auto leccies there that can offer some helpful advice will be kindly thought of when wills are being drafted. It is freezing in the shed, and we'd love to come inside where it's warm.

H E L P!!!!

As always, thanks in advance.

jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Joe F (WA) - Friday, Aug 03, 2012 at 18:15

Friday, Aug 03, 2012 at 18:15
G'day Jack

The mighty 80 series can be a stubborn mungrel in the electrical department, I guess that all was working eletrically prior to the gear box remove~refit.

Firstly check that you have replaced the earth/ground cable from the chassis to the engine/gear box mounting bolt.

I guess you have disconnected and then re-connected the main harness wiring plugs in the starter motor area.

If you had the battery or batteries disconnected in the process, check and then reckeck the crappy Toyota fuseable link on the main battery positive cable, these links can look good, but in actual fact they can be fried, replace the fuse if in doubt.

Safe Travels :
AnswerID: 492176

Follow Up By: Member - Jack - Friday, Aug 03, 2012 at 18:24

Friday, Aug 03, 2012 at 18:24
Joe, you are indeed a legend!!!

The b-----y fuseable link. We looked at it before and it was fine (to our sight). Then we went 'high tech' and used our $1.99 test lamp to show that it was broken. A quick fix and now all is well and working.

Many thanks. We are warm again. I owe you at least one!!!!

Jack

FollowupID: 767822

Follow Up By: Member - Joe F (WA) - Saturday, Aug 04, 2012 at 00:46

Saturday, Aug 04, 2012 at 00:46
G'day Jack

Glad I could assist, as mentioned the LandCruiser 80 Series can be a real mongrel in the electrical department, mainly due to the piddley wiring gauge and Toyota's poor battery earth path.

A poor earth from battery to engine block to chassis is possibly the Achilles heel of the earlier Toyota's, the standard fuseable link is a vital component and at times can come close to failing ~ turning purple with heat transfer, but they rarely fail, until they are disturbed/moved.

Jack, I'm no legend, I just happen to own a couple of Land Cruisers, so I guess I'm a Land Cruiser tragic.

Safe travels :
FollowupID: 767856

Reply By: Member - john y - Friday, Aug 03, 2012 at 18:24

Friday, Aug 03, 2012 at 18:24
If you try www.offroad80s.com you may get some help if you can't get get it here
I will go anywhere as long as it's forward

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 492177

Follow Up By: Member - Jack - Friday, Aug 03, 2012 at 18:32

Friday, Aug 03, 2012 at 18:32
Thanks John. That is a good tip for the future. Luckily Joe hit the nail on the head.

This site has saved my bacon yet again.

Cheers
Jack

FollowupID: 767823

Sponsored Links