road side assistance

Submitted: Monday, Aug 06, 2012 at 18:42
ThreadID: 97300 Views:2365 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
we are looking into getting a road side assistance package eg RAC. I was wandering what people are useing and what sort of help you really end up getting for your money. We live and do most of a caravaning in WA. Any pros and cons would help in our decision thanks..
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Polaris - Monday, Aug 06, 2012 at 20:26

Monday, Aug 06, 2012 at 20:26
We can't recommend RACQ ULTRA highly enough! Great service.
We've been RACQ members nearly 30 years now and apart from a couple of flat batteries due to lights being left on haven't had much need for roadside assistance.

That all changed a few years ago when we were on a trip across the Savanah way between Darwin and Cairns.
About 10 K from Doomadgee we broke the rear axle housing on our Ford F150 XLT 4x4. Using the front drive we crawled our way to Doomadgee where we were able to phone RACQ.
The operators first question awas "Where is Doomadgee?" After asking her to get a map I was able to describe where our location was - pretty remote!
The RACQ arranged a diversion of a semi from Karumba to Doomadgee, then the driver and I managed to find a loading ramp where we once again used the Ford front drive to load onto the semi.
The vehicle, my wife and I then were taken to Cairns and the vehicle unloaded at a Cairns repairer.
The total cost of the recovery (almost 2000 K) was paid for by RACQ ULTRA.
Repairs to the vehicle were paid by my insurer.
AnswerID: 492419

Follow Up By: Trev&Ness B - Monday, Aug 06, 2012 at 20:32

Monday, Aug 06, 2012 at 20:32
great to hear that they went above and beyond to help you. I hope that the rac in perth are the same
FollowupID: 768079

Follow Up By: ross - Monday, Aug 06, 2012 at 22:42

Monday, Aug 06, 2012 at 22:42
Im in perth,but I havent had to use mine yet.They were always good to my mother whenever she needed a hand.

Ive got the Premium or whatever its called,covers me for all cars or motorbikes Im driving.
Its good value for the extra $60 above the standard rate which only covers you for one vehicle
FollowupID: 768097

Follow Up By: R Send - Tuesday, Aug 07, 2012 at 10:26

Tuesday, Aug 07, 2012 at 10:26
How did you manage to get your repairs covered by your insurance?

FollowupID: 768126

Follow Up By: Polaris - Tuesday, Aug 07, 2012 at 10:48

Tuesday, Aug 07, 2012 at 10:48
R - I made the claim and stated that the damage most likely occured because of hitting an unmarked large pothole or dip in the road.
New rear axle assembly (drum to drum) fitted.
Those F trucks had a bad habit of breaking rear axle housings. Ford Australia fitted an 'outback pak' to some - which consisted of a pressed steel gusset which was welded to the bottom of the diff housing and stopped any flexing that was happening on our Ozzie 'corrugated' highways!

Polaris in FNQ
FollowupID: 768130

Reply By: rocco2010 - Tuesday, Aug 07, 2012 at 00:03

Tuesday, Aug 07, 2012 at 00:03

I guess roadside cover is like any insurance ... you only find out how good or bad it is when you need it.

I am a long-time RAC member and have no complaints about the times I have used it. A flat battery on a cold winter morning usually means a wait! When you are away from the metro area you are reliant on a local contractor and the only time i needed that when stranded by a breakdown in the Mt Leseur national park the rescue operation was quick and efficient.

Read the conditions carefully and ask lots of questions so you are sure about what is and isn't covered, particularly where a caravan recovery might be involved.



AnswerID: 492430

Reply By: Gado - Tuesday, Aug 07, 2012 at 00:24

Tuesday, Aug 07, 2012 at 00:24
Definitely go for the top level (premium) cover. We are members in NSW (NRMA) - among other things, the important difference is the top cover includes looking after your van if the car breaks down, otherwise you pay a hefty towing fee.

We have used the breakdown service in WA and Qld and they have reciprocal arrangements (even the 13 phone number is the same) so we didn't have to pay anything.

If you travel to really remote areas (Simpson desert, Canning Stock route etc) you may need to check whether they can assist you there

Cheers, Gado
AnswerID: 492432

Reply By: landseka - Tuesday, Aug 07, 2012 at 10:34

Tuesday, Aug 07, 2012 at 10:34
Hi Trev, RACWA has 4 levels of cover, Standard, Classic, Classic Plus and Ultimate.

If you travel over 100km from home often then you want Classic cover as I have.

Ultimate gives additional benefits if travelling overseas.

A couple years ago I had brake problems in Merimbula NSW, we limped to a caravan park & RACWA paid for the park for a week, a hire car for the week and transported the car (80 series) to Eden for repairs.

I know another case where a NSW couple broke down at Eucla and were transported with their car & caravan to Bunbury WA (at no cost to them), where the car was repaired.

When I bought my new Triton 2 years ago I have maintained my RACWA cover as I feel it is a better cover than the 'included' 5 year roadside assist provided by Mitsubishi.

Cheers Neil
AnswerID: 492448

Reply By: member - mazcan - Tuesday, Aug 07, 2012 at 16:37

Tuesday, Aug 07, 2012 at 16:37
hi trev and ness b
i am an ultimate rac wa member cost is $200 and that's really nothing to what it will cost you if you break down out on the road somewhere
and its a very good service they will look after all the asociated problems surrounding a breakdown both tow vehicle and your van or camper /accomodation/hire car etc
ive been a continuos member since 1968 and ( cant fault their service used it serveral times) and will remain one in the future
AnswerID: 492469

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (9)