crossing Simpson end of month. looking for company/passengers

Submitted: Wednesday, Aug 08, 2012 at 17:19
ThreadID: 97329 Views:2309 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi first time poster.

I'm planning on going from Birdsville to Alice Springs via Simpson desert at the end of August. Either French or WA line would be preferred. Would love to go in a small convoy if anybody else is venturing through there around the end of the month.

If you're looking for an epic journey, we are driving from Melbourne to Cape York via Darwin - the back seat is empty.

Vehicle is 2005 HZJ105 Landcruiser. Dual fuel, dual batteries +1 spare, winch, gps, vhf, SPOT satellite tracking, ARB bar, roofrack and in-vehicle compressor, 2 spare tires, fridge, freezer, etc.

Cheers,
Brian
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Brenton H (SA) - Wednesday, Aug 08, 2012 at 21:12

Wednesday, Aug 08, 2012 at 21:12
Also crossing Simmo and doing part French and part WA and rig rd lines but leaveing Dalhousie on 1/9 heading in the reverse west-east direction so as to miss the crowd at Birdsville where we should arrive on the 4th barring accidents. Nothing against the cup but been there done that and prefer not to have the crowd.If you change your mind about your direction yell out and you can join us. Two vehicles in our party both experienced 4WD's.
AnswerID: 492562

Follow Up By: Member - Brian.Zinn - Friday, Aug 10, 2012 at 17:23

Friday, Aug 10, 2012 at 17:23
We didn't even know about the event at Birdsville, so that is something we would like to avoid as well!Dalhousie springs is somewhere we wanted to go anyway, so we would like to join your group there on August 1st. From Birdsville we will head down to Marree and then up to King's Canyon on main roads. It's a bit of a loop, but I feel a lot better crossing Simmo with others, so thanks.
FollowupID: 768325

Follow Up By: Member - Brenton H (SA) - Sunday, Aug 12, 2012 at 22:33

Sunday, Aug 12, 2012 at 22:33
Sorry Brian for not following up this sooner but it's been a hectic social weekend.
I understand your movements better now and your need to eventually still get to Darwin. That being the case the double trip around just for company on the simmo is a huge extra journey both in time and cost. I would suggest you continue with your original plan of leaveing from Birdsville, and in fact if you have never been to the Birdsville races stay and enjoy and leave straight after. It's an event you should experience at least once. I would think that if you utilized the notice board at the caravan park or pub you will find a few parties doing the simmo afterward. In fact our greatest fear is indeed how many vehicles we are going to meet comeing from Birdsville in the opposite direction to us. It can be a dangerous meeting. Even if you didn't team up with some people the simmo is not that frightening that you can't do it alone IF (and I do mean IF) you are properly prepared, vehicle, water, and fuel wise. Allow for at least a 30% increase in fuel useage and take extra water and food in case of mishap and you need to wait for help. If travelling alone in the isolated outback (not just this trip) I would also recommend a sat phone. If you don't want to buy one there are places that will hire them and it would be a worthwhile expenditure what ever you decide.
FollowupID: 768415

Reply By: Member - Rick P (NT) - Thursday, Aug 09, 2012 at 12:18

Thursday, Aug 09, 2012 at 12:18
Hi Brian
We were thinking off doing the French Line from Birdsville to Dalhousie as well as we will be in the area at the time but have decided against it as the Birdsville Races will be on from the 31st August- 1st September so can only imagine the crowds heading to and from Birdsville at that time.
Cheers
Rick P
AnswerID: 492581

Follow Up By: Member - Brian.Zinn - Friday, Aug 10, 2012 at 17:26

Friday, Aug 10, 2012 at 17:26
Thanks for letting us know about the races - our trip is already kind of planned with meeting people in Darwin. Hopefully we can avoid the crowds by going the other way and arriving a few days afterwards :)
FollowupID: 768326

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Thursday, Aug 16, 2012 at 22:56

Thursday, Aug 16, 2012 at 22:56
Just got back today from another Simpson Desert crossing - not many people out there. Dalhousie was half empty. Camped a night at Purnie all by ourselves.

Seems like numbers are down a lot compared to previous years. But its great out there as usual.
AnswerID: 493008

Sponsored Links